Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mac to win file naming prob

Options
  • 12-01-2006 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

I am trying to copy aload of files from my mac (osx.3) to a winxp pro server. Basically i am copying all my files and pasting them to the server over the network. All flying away good until i get a error about the naming convention of the mac files that its not supported by windows...this is wrecking my head as it doesnt give me proper info to where the file is located etc!

I need to copy about 60gb of files so this is a big prob for me

anyone have any ideas???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

You're stuffed if the server FS does not support certain characters.

two answers:

1. Get a list of commonly incompatible characters, search your mac and rename said files.

2. All you can do is view as a list and cop over piece by piece until you come accross the illegal character.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

To add to that:
    Renamer4mac is an app I only recently discovered; fvckin' brilliant for batch renaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 derekphonic

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    To add to that:
    Renamer4mac is an app I only recently discovered; fvckin' brilliant for batch renaming!

Also, try Skooby renamer for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Had this problem myself recently. The solution may take a while depending on your hardware but all I did was add all the files to one zip archive and copy it accross. Obviously name the archive with compatible characters.

It's one solution that worked for me and funnily once the archive was over on the PC I could extract all the files without issue !! I think it has something to do with how Samba (SMB) on the Mac manages character mapping.

On a Linux box you have more granular control over this, not so on a Mac unless you want to get your hands dirty by editing /etc/samba/smb.conf I think.

Hope this helps

ZEN

Advertisement