Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will a US Mac Mini work in Europe ?

Options
  • 03-01-2006 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

What's to stop a US Mac Mini working in Europe ?

Heading over in two weeks and might bring one back if it'll work here. Reckon it's small enough our of it's box to get by customs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

well you will have to make sure that you bring back an Atmospheric Filangie with you so it thinks it is still in the US. ;)

seriously though, no problems whatsoever, the PSU supplied with it work from 110 to 230 volts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

yeah it was the PSU I was thinking along the lines of. And also the DVD drive. From what you say I assume there will be no issues with it's region ?

The price difference in the US along with the fact I can get a 100gig HDD make buying it in the US very worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I just hope that the retailer you buy in can turn out your Mini while you are over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Yes, but Apple won't honor the warranty out side the U.S. They will on laptops and iPods though. An ibook would be ideal if you were going to the States and it's a lot easier to get through Irish customs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

You can get worldwide coverage on insurance if you buy from a dealer rather than from Apple itself. uncle_sam_ie: that's not quite true - it's a North American warranty (Canada, U.S., and Mexico) that you buy from Apple ... however you're right, it still won't be of any use in Europe :)

The DVD drive will be region one, but there are *ahem* ways of getting around that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

casper- wrote:
    The DVD drive will be region one, but there are *ahem* ways of getting around that.

It will be locked to Region 1
    VLC does a wonderful job of playing all films;)

[strike]Failing that, just buy Region 1 DVD (For cheap, and before they're released here) :p [/strike]

Oh yeah ... VLC ... good stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Karoma wrote:
    VLC does a wonderful job of playing all films;)

[strike]Failing that, just buy Region 1 DVD (For cheap, and before they're released here) :p [/strike]

I am not sure what you mean by locked to region 1. It was my understanding that you get to change the region coding 6 times before it locks out. Therefore, before this happens down load X-region from any mac software site and away you go, region free for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Tout le beans

R ANY OF U GUYS DRUMMERS IN THE DUNDALK REGION? HECK WE'LL EVEN GO AS FAR AS ARDEE IF WE HAVE TO AND THE DRUMMER IS WILLING TO TRAVEL. TEEN PUNK BAND, C'MON!:v:

R ANY OF U GUYS DRUMMERS IN THE DUNDALK REGION? HECK WE'LL EVEN GO AS FAR AS ARDEE IF WE HAVE TO AND THE DRUMMER IS WILLING TO TRAVEL. TEEN PUNK BAND, C'MON!:v:

Hmmm that must be some sort of code that means that the Mac mini will only work in Dundalk. Damn :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭dubmick

Karoma wrote:
    Nah, it's not. I've a mac mini that was bought in the states. Whatever you first put in you can set it to and then you've got five changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jfanning

Yes, but Apple won't honor the warranty out side the U.S. They will on laptops and iPods though. An ibook would be ideal if you were going to the States and it's a lot easier to get through Irish customs.

The Mac Mini is classed in the portables range, my mini has a world wide warrenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

jfanning wrote:
    The Mac Mini is classed in the portables range, my mini has a world wide warrenty.
    Really! Wow, I thought it was classed as a desktop. I might have to add a Mac mini to my shopping list this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jfanning

Really! Wow, I thought it was classed as a desktop. I might have to add a Mac mini to my shopping list this summer.

In saying that, I'm not sure if the standard warrenty includes it, I purchased AppleCare with mine, to which they say at http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/AppleCareProtPlanFacts.pdf

Adds two years of hardware repair coverage
    to the one-year limited warranty, including:
    – Onsite service for desktop computers1
    – Global repair coverage for portable computers and Mac mini

The Apple site makes it difficult to find out the standard warrenty information

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Apologies; I forgot about the handful of region changes -I've never had to worry about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

For anyone reading this thread at some point in the future, I got my Mini in the US last week and it works a dream here in little ol' Ireland.

DVD region is 'settable' five times. Power adapter takes 110v-240v so thats cool too.

Nothing to stop you buying one in the US - works a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

you can unlock the dvd by flashing the firmware and installing region X. All depends on how adventerous you want to be!

Advertisement