Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A MacBook Pro by any other name..

• 16-01-2006 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

http://us.acer.com/acerpanam/page4.d...crc=1074370188

Hmmm, the same OEM? Check out the specs, look familiar? It's even got a camera in the hinge
    I bet it's heaps cheaper than Apple's offering too..

Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional; Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2500 (2MB L2 cache, 2.0GHz, 667MHz FSB); 2GB (1/1) DDR2 667 SDRAM; 120GB SATA hard drive, 5400RPM; modular Super-Multi (DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RAM) drive; 5-in-1 card reader; 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) TFT display; ATI® MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1600 graphics, 256MB DDR; 802.11a/b/g WLAN, Bluetooth™, gigabit LAN, V.92 modem

With a visit to a bay of pirates, this'd be a MacBook Pro in everything but colour..
    discuss?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The link has become messed up. It tends to happen if you edit a post with a very long link in it.

Edit:

A working link.

This laptop has a better screen than the MacBook Pro too. The problem is that it doesn't address the main two reasons that people buy Mac's: (1) OS X and (2) style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Thanks for the link fix, don't know what happened there.
    Hopefully I won't draw the wrath of the mods, but OSX works on non-Apple hardware "with a visit to the bay of pirates".

True, it's not as pretty, but some people would rather save a few quid, and dual-boot to boot.

I wouldn't, I stuck €1000s into my 20" G4 iMac because it's still the most beautiful computer ever created. I've rammed it full of every upgrade imaginable, and won't be replacing it any time soon. I did beg the CPU upgrade crowd to build me a G5 mod though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 OptimusMime

I saw that lappy a few days ago... it'll be interesting to see how it performs next to the MacBook, will Apple's be a bit more optimized or something, d'ye reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

OSX works on non-Apple hardware "with a visit to the bay of pirates".

True, it's not as pretty, but some people would rather save a few quid, and dual-boot to boot

You can run it on an emulator, true, but the performance would be awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Ok, so the subtle suggestion didn't work, I'll be a bit more direct..
    I'm not talking about emulation, I'm talking about leaked and cracked distributions of OSx86 (10.4.4), that people have happily running away, natively on Dell hardware...

So, the only thing that the MacBook Pro has going for it over the Acer is that it's arguably marginally prettier, and it says Apple on it. Cha-ching, that'll be €750 extra please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

very interesting.... Been looking at ways to try the MAC os (yes im a complete mac noob) I think I'll have to give this a go!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I'm not talking about emulation, I'm talking about leaked and cracked distributions of OSx86 (10.4.4)

Which, as we both know, get broken by each new point release or security update. Not ideal or stable, but good enough, I guess for someone used to Windows.

Advertisement