Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What date is the budget been announced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gee, they have never been so good as they are around here now. 10 to 15 years ago they were dire but I have to be honest and say the R and L routes are now excellent. I travel in Northern Ireland quite a bit and even some of their A roads are poor but here the roads are spot on now. We used to have to swerve constantly around potholes and crawl through rough gravel sections but these days are long gone. Bad bends etc have been removed as well.
    No, can't agree with you on the state of the roads.

Well, I live in the Midlands and the roads are woeful.

Tuesday the 13th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I don't have kids at all, actually. And if myself and my partner decide to have kids in future we can well afford to provide our own childcare. That's not the point of my post.

The point of my post is that in Ireland, the cost of childcare is so high that it incentivises low earners to just not work and stay at home and mind the child themselves. It's stupidity of the highest order.
    Stupidity for a parent to stay at home and raise their child? Yep. Nothing stupider.

Stupidity for a parent to stay at home and raise their child? Yep. Nothing stupider.

Stupidity that we live in a system that punishes low earners for wanting to work instead of being stay at home parents. The fact that for loan parents it's often better for them to take 4 years off work and stay on benefits instead of going back to work is ridiculous. We should be supporting them to return to work by investing in childcare instead of pricing them out of the market.

You seem to have missed the point of my posts entirely, this is the problem when you come in at the end of a conversation without know what's actually being discussed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Gee, they have never been so good as they are around here now. 10 to 15 years ago they were dire but I have to be honest and say the R and L routes are now excellent. I travel in Northern Ireland quite a bit and even some of their A roads are poor but here the roads are spot on now. We used to have to swerve constantly around potholes and crawl through rough gravel sections but these days are long gone. Bad bends etc have been removed as well.
    No, can't agree with you on the state of the roads.

I'm guessing you don't live in the west, the secondary roads are a nightmare with some of the bad turns, and in winter a new pothole appears almost daily.

When the council eventually get around to it it's a bit of tar and a few stones and in a few days the same hole is as bad as ever.

I'm not exaggerating either.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Stupidity that we live in a system that punishes low earners for wanting to work instead of being stay at home parents. The fact that for loan parents it's often better for them to take 4 years off work and stay on benefits instead of going back to work is ridiculous. We should be supporting them to return to work by investing in childcare instead of pricing them out of the market.

You seem to have missed the point of my posts entirely, this is the problem when you come in at the end of a conversation without know what's actually being discussed.
    my wife decided to stay at home to raise our son as she did not want some stranger in a creche raising our son she claims no benefits and i work is she stupid? nonsense comment

I'm guessing you don't live in the west, the secondary roads are a nightmare with some of the bad turns, and in winter a new pothole appears almost daily.

When the council eventually get around to it it's a bit of tar and a few stones and in a few days the same hole is as bad as ever.

I had to drive from Galway to Leenaun last December when there was a bit of a frost, that road from Maam Cross to Leenaun scared the bejaysus out of me.

my wife decided to stay at home to raise our son as she did not want some stranger in a creche raising our son she claims no benefits and i work is she stupid? nonsense comment

Please don't cherry-pick stuff out of context. Thanks.

It's great that your wife had that choice. Lots of people are FORCED to stay at home because they can't afford childcare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Have you been using the national or secondary roads much these days?

The motorways are grand, outside of that it's a shambles.

Yes I have. I drive all over the country for work. You're bull****ting.

• Advertisement

Yes I have. I drive all over the country for work. You're bull****ting.

No I'm not. I live in the midlands, work in the east and spend a lot of time in the west. I regularly use secondary roads that are a shambles. The state of roads in rural areas is one of the most common complaints I hear about the lack of spending on infrastructure.

Please don't cherry-pick stuff out of context. Thanks.

It's great that your wife had that choice. Lots of people are FORCED to stay at home because they can't afford childcare.
    we made the decision because we did not want a stranger rearing our child it would be better for us both to work but then our son would have part time parents and not brought up in a balanced home. we wouldn't have been able to afford childcare if we decided to go down that path but decided that a well adjusted balanced child meant more than money. Thanks

we made the decision because we did not want a stranger rearing our child it would be better for us both to work but then our son would have part time parents and not brought up in a balanced home. we wouldn't have been able to afford childcare if we decided to go down that path but decided that a well adjusted balanced child meant more than money. Thanks

Thats nice. On Tuesdays I like to have an Ice-cream after my dinner.

good for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The issue is people want to build one off houses and expect the rest of the population to pay for their desire to live outside a town or city. But the cost of servicing such desires doesnt go down and the population isnt big enough to finance every boreen in the country have a quality road surface.

good for you

Exactly, and has nothing to do with my posts in regards to childcare, much like your own posts.

Exactly, and has nothing to do with my posts in regards to childcare, much like your own posts.
    good for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

I find a sorbet more cleansing of the pallet, fingers crossed the budget will be good...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

Ridiculous moratorium rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

There is a budget topic on AH. And its not even been announced fully yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Underfunded and over stretched Health system; check
    Underfunded and over stretched Primary schools; check
    Underfunded and over stretched Secondary schools; check
    Underfunded and over stretched Third level system; check

Med consultants are well paid, and we pay high prices for drugs - so I disagree that the health system is underfunded.

We have 3,000+ primary schools, way more than other countries of similar pop - is it underfunded?

A typical teacher's pension is 700pw - is the education system underfunded?

florawest wrote: »
    well paid nurses, what? Certainly not the ones who qualified in the past three or four years, their pay is pathetic for the great job and pressure they are under, time to rethink their wages definitely

All new entrants to the PS are on 10% less, as well as maybe losing allowances.

Tue 13-Oct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,930 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Giveaway electioneering... take more people out of the tax net. Minor changes for those who'll be paying for it.

"New politics" indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Geuze wrote: »
    All new entrants to the PS are on 10% less, as well as maybe losing allowances.

When I worked in the public service, after starting out in the private sector, I got my paycheck one day and said, "They've got something wrong - who do I ring - they've paid me too much?" My new colleagues laughed at me. "That's your annual increment." "My wha?" They explained that my pay automagically rose every month. I'd never heard its like.

Increments are common in the private sector.

They may not be called increments, but they are fairly common.

For example, Lidl, Dunnes Stores operate like that.

Also note that much of PS is at top of scale, so no increments.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

Is there any chance of a change to the disability allowance?

masti123 wrote: »
    Is there any chance of a change to the disability allowance?

Doesn't seem like much, except for extra bonus at christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Some parts of tomorrow's budget have been 'leaked'

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1012/734283-budget-2016/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

There has been rumours about college grant cuts? It's not in the leak though

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

xLisaBx wrote: »

That'll teach ye not to vote!

Muahahahahahahahhaa
    Muahahahahahahahhaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

guylikeme wrote: »
    That'll teach ye not to vote!

Muahahahahahahahhaa
    Muahahahahahahahhaa

Haha, those students will never use their votes again with this discipline :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

xLisaBx wrote: »

Something being cut? Find that hard to believe in a pre-election budget.

Something being cut? Find that hard to believe in a pre-election budget.

Yeah, especially with so much being restored or raised. The last thing they'd want to do is motivate students to actually use their vote against them.

They'll likely cut a bit off of student contributions or promise to next year.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Smokers have been shafted in every budget for years now. Big whoop.

Given they cost the HSE each year in health spend (approx 2billion for smoking related health issues ) then they bring in in tax (approx 1.6billion) it's only right smokers get shafted.

• Advertisement

I have no objection to cigarettes going up, as a smoker. Do the crime do the time so to speak.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Given they cost the HSE each year in health spend (approx 2billion for smoking related health issues ) then they bring in in tax (approx 1.6billion) it's only right smokers get shafted.

rabble rabble nanny state incoming in 3...2...1...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Yeah, especially with so much being restored or raised. The last thing they'd want to do is motivate students to actually use their vote against them.

They'll likely cut a bit off of student contributions or promise to next year.

I doubt it, FG made a promise about the student contribution before, look how that ended up. Maybe see an increase in who can qualify from the grant at most but would be surprised if they went anywhere near it. Suppose there was a surge in young voters in the referendum so might be trying to pick up a few of them.

I doubt it, FG made a promise about the student contribution before, look how that ended up. Maybe see an increase in who can qualify from the grant at most but would be surprised if they went anywhere near it. Suppose there was a surge in young voters in the referendum so might be trying to pick up a few of them.

Maynooth alone registered 5,000 students (in a campus of 9,000?) for the referendum and another 2,000 during orientation week just gone.

Students might be a big voting bloc for once...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Cabaal wrote: »

Any sources for those figures?

From the Royal College of Physicians
    An EU report, also referenced in TFI3 estimated that Ireland spent €500 million of its health expenditure on tobacco related diseases

http://www.rcpi.ie/content/docs/000001/1717_5_media.pdf?1395650572

and
    Excise receipts in respect of tobacco products tax amounted to some €1.1 billion

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-03-27a.135

Thankfully I have a load of friends and family who regularly travel abroad for work and are happy to bring me home a stock each time so it makes no odds to me anyway :D

• Advertisement

Maynooth alone registered 5,000 students (in a campus of 9,000?) for the referendum and another 2,000 during orientation week just gone.

Students might be a big voting bloc for once...

Why do you think the elections are never on a Sunday, unlike other countries? To suppress the student vote, since most students are registered "at home", and can't take the bus to Donegal or Dunamase or Dunquin to vote midweek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

• Reduce social welfare by half. Saves 9,600,000,000.
    • Limit children's allowance to people with one irish parent at least. None of this - emigrants have a child here, or other europeans having kids here getting this benefit.
    • Increasing building in houses. This increases house to solve the homeless problem, and creates jobs in the economy.
    • Spend another 1.5B in each of Education and Health.
    • New transport System in Ireland. The equivalent of Dublin Bus and Dart in every county.
    • Dissolve irish water.
    • Reduce income tax to 15% and 33% respectively.
    • Everyone earning 150K + pays a flat rate of 18% on everything.
    • Capital gains, and capital acquisition tax reduced to 23%.
    • Reduce vat to 20%
    • Increase corporation tax to 15% on profits of over 1Million.
    • Tax on rental income to be 25%. Remove it from income tax completely.
    • Increase cigarettes to €15 per pack.
    • Buy all commercial units for sale and rent them out at 60% market rate. Creates business in the local economy and creates jobs.
    • Increase charitable payments to animal rights groups.

The cost of putting the country back together after the revolution might be a bit dear, though.

• Limit children's allowance to people with one irish parent at least. None of this - emigrants have a child here, or other europeans having kids here getting this benefit.
    • Increasing building in houses. This increases house to solve the homeless problem, and creates jobs in the economy.
    • New transport System in Ireland. The equivalent of Dublin Bus and Dart in every county.
    • Dissolve irish water.
    • Reduce vat to 20%
    • Buy all commercial units for sale and rent them out at 60% market rate. Creates business in the local economy and creates jobs.

Only a Liverpool fan could buy into something this ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

• Dissolve irish water.
    • Reduce vat to 20%

Then spend billions on jails for all the people living in abject poverty, stealing to feed themselves, when their dole is cut by half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Then spend billions on jails for all the people living in abject poverty, stealing to feed themselves, when their dole is cut by half.

Get a job then. To many people with their cushy lives living on the dole, having kids, not getting married so they can claim loan parents, rent allowance, council house ect, having 4/5/6 kids for the children's allowance.

Absolute wasters. Get a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Why do you think the elections are never on a Sunday, unlike other countries? To suppress the student vote, since most students are registered "at home", and can't take the bus to Donegal or Dunamase or Dunquin to vote midweek.

Or they could simply register for a postal vote?!

Get a job then. To many people with their cushy lives living on the dole, having kids, not getting married so they can claim loan parents, rent allowance, council house ect, having 4/5/6 kids for the children's allowance.

Yes cos it really would be so simple as to cut the dole in half and all those people would magically go out and get jobs, great solution :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Where are all of these mystical jobs?

There are not enough jobs in Ireland for everyone. And its not as simple as "get a job." Long term unemployed will find it extremely difficult to get a job. There are far more people unemployed than there are jobs in Ireland.

You're only young though, so your head is in the clouds a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

• Dissolve irish water.
    • Reduce vat to 20%

Glad your not the finance minister the country would be in a mess in no time at all. The markets and the people would not like any off that and the country would end up back where it was 5 years ago not able to get any funding and having to be bailed out.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement