Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warped neck on acoustic guitar

Options
  • 16-09-2015 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi,

Please see attached pictures. I have a lovely Fender acoustic guitar that is maybe 10 years or more old, It is in excellent, perfect condition but the neck is warped or something because the action on the neck is far too high (the distance of the strings to the fretboard), makes it unplayable.

I remember I carried this into a music shop a few years ago to see if they could repair it left it with them, came back a few days later and he told me he could not fix it.

But surely there must be a way that this can be fixed, like replacing or sanding down the saddle and nut??

If it can't be fixed, would people still be looking to buy it as is and how much would I expect to get for it? It probably would have cost a few hundred dollars when it was first bought since it is a real fender.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Yep they should be able to just remove and sand down the saddle, that'll do the trick. Can't speak as to the value of it though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Asking for the price of an instrument is against this forum's charter. Please read it before posting again

As for the warped neck, any chance in taking a picture of the warp so we can see how bad it is? Sanding down the saddle won't fix a warped neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

feylya wrote: »
    Asking for the price of an instrument is against this forum's charter. Please read it before posting again

As for the warped neck, any chance in taking a picture of the warp so we can see how bad it is? Sanding down the saddle won't fix a warped neck.

It's impossible to take a picture without taking off strings for you to see it, and would be hard to tell from a picture anyway. What does fix a warped neck? Thank you.

Send me pm about price.

It could just be that the truss rod needs adjusting. Take a picture along the side of the neck, from the nut to the bridge, with the strings on.

It could just be that the truss rod needs adjusting. Take a picture along the side of the neck, from the nut to the bridge, with the strings on.

I think I remember the guy in the music shop saying he did that. What are my other options?

• Advertisement

I don't know, I haven't seen how warped the neck is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

For the record I was presuming it wasn't actually warped and the action is just set too high on it.

Ok I'll do that tomorrow and report back, thanks

Brian2011 wrote: »
    Ok I'll do that tomorrow and report back, thanks

Pics along the neck as requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

looks like truss rod.

the fingerboard looks flat across, so not warped.

truss rod access is through the soundhole by the looks of things.

get an allen key that FITS and give it a full turn (360 degrees) clockwise

leave it over night and see what has happened. if it has helped, then go 1/4 turn each time after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Have you checked the joint where the neck meets the guitar ? is there any cracks in it ? Loos lke the neck might have separated from the body.

looks like truss rod.

the fingerboard looks flat across, so not warped.

truss rod access is through the soundhole by the looks of things.

get an allen key that FITS and give it a full turn (360 degrees) clockwise

leave it over night and see what has happened. if it has helped, then go 1/4 turn each time after that

Tried turning it clockwise and it is already fully tightened to the last.

Advertisement