Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new guitar.

Options
  • 26-09-2015 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking for a new guitar as the one I have doesn't suit 100%.
    I have a 13 year old Gibson J45 (I got for dirt cheap) but I think something smaller would be better for me.
    I also have a little martin that I actually play more then the Gibson!

I don't perform much but I'd like to.
    I would want a pickup if possible.
    I've just shy of €2000 (closer to €1500) for my budget.

I mainly play finger-picking, James Taylor etc, but I also do some Arctic Monkeys style strumming and a lot of John Mayer's stuff so it needs to be relatively versatile.

The problem is everything will seem like a down grade even though the guitar doesn't suit!

I've seen a Martin om21 for €1500 for sale which may be perfect.
    I was also thinking of getting a Maton mini, or a oo style guitar..

Any Ideas? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

First advice is to forget what guitar you currently have, used to have, or dreamed of having.

as a parallel, Lewis Hamilton left the F1 team where he had been since he was 12, and won the world championship, to go to another team where they had no track record and virtually no successes in the past.

now his world dominating original team are struggling to even finish a race, while the new team are virtually untouchable.

FORGET THE BRAND NAME!!!

go into every music shop you can get to and play every acoustic in the place. I've done this and ended up playing the €99 laminate topped guitar, rather than the €2500 big name thing that I just couldn't get on with!

I love the sound, the look and the attitude of Lowden guitars. George Lowden is a genius, and a really nice guy who I've been fortunate to spend some time with. But the Lowden neck profile just doesn't suit my playing style.

OK, your Gibson is a nice guitar, but it's too big for you, it doesn't suit you 100%, and you play your martin more than you play it.

time to move on, and UP to a guitar that suits you better, regardless of brand or price.

Advertisement