Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you a teacher of Irish?

Options
  • 21-10-2014 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Seems to be a shortage out there. Would like to know if this is true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

There are certainly less Irish teachers around than in some other subjects but because of the general lack of available jobs there is no way it could it be called a serious shortage. Probably a better subject to have than most (if you have a high standard) though at the same time.

Just wondering why you say there seems to be a shortage?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

i dont think there is a shortage, ive irish and was subbing for 5 years before finally getting my own hours. i think people are just choosing other options now- like i was told by my teachers to do irish because it would be guaranteed to walk into a job- worst advice i was ever given!!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭torregolf

Interesting views. If you are an Irish teacher and are available in the Midlands/Leinster area, can you private message me.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

torregolf wrote: »
    Interesting views. If you are an Irish teacher and are available in the Midlands/Leinster area, can you private message me.

I could probably recommend a few onto you from Tipp/Limerick side- they wouldnt be on boards though but have email addresses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

I'm not an Irish teacher but hope to be in the near future, and from talking to teachers I know it's clear that there is a shortage out there, without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

I don't think there's much of a shortage, for what it's worth. Certainly not enough to base choosing Irish as a subject on. It's been a good couple of years since I was applying for jobs though so maybe it's different now.

Advertisement