Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring a UK secondary PGCE back to Ireland?

Options
  • 18-10-2014 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am currently undertaking a secondary school PGCE in the UK as part of the Teach First programme (which takes university graduates and places them in a school training programme where they work full-time as a teacher for a year).

You work one year to get your PGCE, and then another year as an NQT.

I am wondering what the process is for converting a UK secondary PGCE back to a Higher Diploma in Ireland? Are they directly transferable, or do I have to do some kind of a conversion course?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere in the forum.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

not too sure myself but officially you would want to confirm everything with the Irish teaching council... you might have the pgce and it might be acceptable but then again they mightnt recognise your subject degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Hello,

I am currently undertaking a secondary school PGCE in the UK as part of the Teach First programme (which takes university graduates and places them in a school training programme where they work full-time as a teacher for a year).

You work one year to get your PGCE, and then another year as an NQT.

I am wondering what the process is for converting a UK secondary PGCE back to a Higher Diploma in Ireland? Are they directly transferable, or do I have to do some kind of a conversion course?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere in the forum.

Thanks

The course in Ireland is now a 2-year full-time Professional Master of Education, which combines lectures and school placement over the course of the programme. After qualification, the teacher is then deemed to be newly-qualified and will undergo probation and induction. The probation element will take place if the NQT is fortunate enough to secure a job. Not all are lucky in this regard.

The course in Ireland is equivalent to 120 ECTS (credits). A 1-year course abroad won't be equivalent, as it would only amount to 60 ECTS.

Courses in Britain tend to use CATS instead of ECTS.
    FYI: 120 ECTS = 240 CATS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

The course in Ireland is equivalent to 120 ECTS (credits).A 1-year course abroad won't be equivalent, as it would only amount to 60 ECTS.

Courses in Britain tend to use CATS instead of ECTS.
    FYI: 120 ECTS = 240 CATS.

What about the course plus a full-year as an NQT in the UK? Would this equate to to the necessary 120 ECTS?

What about the course plus a full-year as an NQT in the UK? Would this equate to to the necessary 120 ECTS?

To be honest, I couldn't see how. Your NQT year is your first year as a qualified teacher. The PGCE itself is only a year. Whatever professional experience you accrue after this 1-year course is separate.

The only way around this that I can see is if you started your PGCE before the 2014/2015 academic year, because September 2014 is when the new 2-year courses commenced in Ireland. If, let's say, you started your PGCE in September 2013, you'd be ok. All you'd have to do would be to qualify from the 1-year PGCE, complete probation, most likely during your NQT year in the UK, and then you could come to Ireland, register with the Teaching Council (if they recognise your course and subjects), meet any of the TC's outstanding conditions e.g. complete an exam on the history of the Irish education system, and you're good to go.

If you only started your PGCE in September 2014, then I'd say you're out of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 duffyp

I got my PGCE recognised in 2011-2012- it was a total pain in the arse with the teaching council- took around 500 euro, a lot of documentation and a few months. I did a PGCE though, I always thought that the teach first was a UK only based qualification? Maybe that has changed since I was there. In terms of the 2 year course thats now in place here, I'm not sure how that would impact you- you should contact the teaching council asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Why on earth did they turn the teaching qualification into a masters. It must be handy if you have to emigrate I suppose. If you don't have a four year undergrad (which some countries require for a degree award), you do have a masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

duffyp wrote: »
    I got my PGCE recognised in 2011-2012- it was a total pain in the arse with the teaching council- took around 500 euro, a lot of documentation and a few months. I did a PGCE though, I always thought that the teach first was a UK only based qualification? Maybe that has changed since I was there. In terms of the 2 year course thats now in place here, I'm not sure how that would impact you- you should contact the teaching council asap.

You didn't use to get a PGCE with Teach First - just Qualified Teacher Status. However, today you do get a PGCE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RoySheehan

I was at an information evening about teacher training programmes in Ireland and the UK last year. I was told that apprentice based teacher training programmes where you learn by being completely in a school and not in lectures as well will not be recognised by the Irish Teaching Council. However, other programmes would after the induction year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I did the PGCE in 2006/7.
    Managed to get recognized and do my NQT year in Ireland.
    I had to do the history and structure of irish education exam to "make up for an educational shortfall" but that was the only hoop I had to jump through apart from waiting the guts of 7 months for the teaching council to process my application.

That loophole was closed off in 2009 iirc and people doing the PGCE had to stay in the UK and do their NQT year in the country they got their qualification

I'm not sure how theyre gonna deal with the PGCE coming over here now with the NQT year aswell.

On a professional level, you'd be better than someone just finished the PME and if I was in management, I'd employ you over the PME graduate but I'm biased as that's the system I went through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

I did the PGCE in 2006/7.
    Managed to get recognized and do my NQT year in Ireland.
    I had to do the history and structure of irish education exam to "make up for an educational shortfall" but that was the only hoop I had to jump through apart from waiting the guts of 7 months for the teaching council to process my application.

That loophole was closed off in 2009 iirc and people doing the PGCE had to stay in the UK and do their NQT year in the country they got their qualification

I'm not sure how theyre gonna deal with the PGCE coming over here now with the NQT year aswell.

On a professional level, you'd be better than someone just finished the PME and if I was in management, I'd employ you over the PME graduate but I'm biased as that's the system I went through.

I trained here a very long time ago. Im very under qualified by modern standards. I worked in the British system for 7 years. I'm still using what I learned there and see the teaching council as a way of putting unecessary obstcles in the way. Best of Luck to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I've just started a School Direct (with PGCE) programme in the UK this September. Though I don't really plan on coming home any time soon, this thread saddens me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ustazjoseph

I've just started a School Direct (with PGCE) programme in the UK this September. Though I don't really plan on coming home any time soon, this thread saddens me. :(
    Its just a gatekeeping exercise by the TC, As one who currently works in FE i think that from the beginning the TC thought teaching meant ;Bed ie primary , Hdip, ie secondary and anything else was an annoying add on.
    At one time Irish teachers in the Uk were regarded as under qualified. As time passed we became valuable and appreciated.
    With time the TC will realise that its part of a wide and modern world .

Advertisement