Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classroom Management

• 17-10-2014 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there, I am doing the PME at the moment and I am having a bit of an issue with my class at the moment and I am unsure what I would need to do to resolve it.

The beginning of the class can often be hard to manage; it is really hard to get them to settle down and ready to learn Maths. I have them immediately after PE and they need to come to my class from the other end of the school building. Today, they began to arrive to your class in small groups so they weren't even arriving a bit late but in a staggered fashion.

I haven't really managed to integrate into the staffroom yet, so I don't really feel comfortable enough to chat with the staff about the issue I am having. Any advice on what you would do in this situation would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Umbert0! wrote: »
    Hi there, I am doing the PME at the moment and I am having a bit of an issue with my class at the moment and I am unsure what I would need to do to resolve it.

The beginning of the class can often be hard to manage; it is really hard to get them to settle down and ready to learn Maths. I have them immediately after PE and they need to come to my class from the other end of the school building. Today, they began to arrive to my class in small groups so they weren't even arriving a bit late but in a staggered fashion.

I haven't really managed to integrate into the staffroom yet, so I don't really feel comfortable enough to chat with the staff about the issue I am having. Any advice on what you would do in this situation would be appreciated!

If you're in the room before they get there I'd suggest you have a few questions (quite a few, but not difficult ones) on the board recapping what you did last lesson and get them in the habit of starting them as soon as they sit down. Then as others come in they'll do the same and in theory the class should be nice and quiet ready for you to start. It can take a few lessons for them to get into the habit of it but I find this usually works, especially with chatty junior classes.

Also, I tend to greet them at the door with a reminder to come in quietly as others are already working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

I would also take a register & anybody late record it & let them see you doing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Bobsammy wrote: »
    If you're in the room before they get there I'd suggest you have a few questions (quite a few, but not difficult ones) on the board recapping what you did last lesson and get them in the habit of starting them as soon as they sit down. Then as others come in they'll do the same and in theory the class should be nice and quiet ready for you to start. It can take a few lessons for them to get into the habit of it but I find this usually works, especially with chatty junior classes.

Also, I tend to greet them at the door with a reminder to come in quietly as others are already working.

As above, but I'd include a bit of writing at the start mindless work, so that they won't be talking and complaining that they can't do it. Even if it's just a couple of sentences. You can have them ready on a PowerPoint to bang up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

There is a huge chance they are taking the p*ss.
    They are chancing their arms.
    I would liaise with the PE teacher, who I'm sure gives them adequate time to get to the next class.
    I would tell the class that you have spoken to the PE teacher and expect them all to be in class on time from next week on.
    Anyone not in class on time will be sanctioned.
    I would not start doing work in dribs and drabs.
    That in itself will lead to other classroom management issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

personally, I wouldnt penalise the punctual. They might all be coming in in dribs and drabs but the last few in should still have to justify why they can't be first. Make note of the last few and don't let then sit down until they have offered a reason for being late.
    Next class you have write the homework worked out on the board, as soon as its down its "copies out, journals out" and go around and check to see if its done, dont waste time with excuses, note in journal, hwrk to be presented tomorrow. Students should be double checking hwrk as you are zooming around. Students will get the hint that the class is starting with or without them. It may seem a bit risky at the start but theyll get the hint soon enough.

I used to wait till everyone was in then ask if there was any questions on the homework, then spend the next 15mins invariably writing it all up question by question .
    Just get it down asap, Otherwise youll spend the last 5 mins of class rushing to introduce new material! The course is tough enough to finish as things are. Set yourself a limit of 15mins max on previous work... then move on.

Use the hwrk to get them settled.
    Showing them that the class won't start properly until they are all in and comfortable, ends up implying that you'll always wait for the last person...and boy oh boy will that person keep you waiting.

Be diplomatic with the PE teacher but frame it in such a way that you want to check up on a few of the late pupils. ".... just wondering if john or pat were helping you out with something today as they were really late to class?". PE teachers should know the drill about getting changed before bell rings so if they get the hint that you are keeping watch then they might be a bit more pushy.

Arm yourself with a written record of repeat offenders for the next exam/ptm. And tell students you are keeping a record of lates as they love to place blame with the teacher. I would hazzard a guess that its the same folk who are last in and not doing so well too!

Any chance you have a cooperating teacher, or another teacher teaching a parallel class to keep the pace with. Some teachers are approachable when it comes to helping newbies (some are not!).. just ask for a "simple tip about students coming late from PE and getting a class settled". Believe me its not a new issue!

In saying all that im still learning myself , main thing i've learned though is you'll do way better quicker by asking for advice rather than going it alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Definitely record their arrival times and let them see you are doing it and liaise with pe teacher as suggested. I've sent extreme late comers back to their previous teachers for a written note explaining their tardiness in the past -- it's amazing how they suddenly remember well actually yeah they were out of that class in time but stopped at the locker/toilet etc in between..... Which I duly sanctioned as per rule book
    If it continues in spite of talking to the pe teacher I've had management coordinate a walk about which just coincidentally happened to follow their route from the pe hall to my classroom -- again them knowing you've copped onto them and that you're not prepared to put up with it. Works wonders
    If you do put questions on the board - for the first few weeks I've have them copied on a sheet as well and give that to the latecomers as extra homework. The early birds aren't been punished with extra work that way as they'll see they can get it done in class time and the stragglers will either have to up their pace ans get to class on time or do the work at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Do you ever have them before break or lunch? I remember having a particularly persistent bunch of latecomers a few years ago and I told them I would add up the minutes they were late every day and they'd have to make it up during their lunch on the day I had them. I only had to do it 2 or 3 times before they got the message, they really hate losing out on lunchtime and if I'd arranged a separate detention, they would've 'forgotten' to do, so it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

You need to sort this as a matter of priority.

I'd forget 'teaching' anything until it is - prepare wordsearches (puzzlemaker.com) to give to those who do arrive but do not go further until the chancers have been made to understand in no uncertain terms that arriving late will not be tolerated.

Definitely liaise with the PE teacher. He/she'll understand what's going on - you're new, you're young and the kids are taking the p!ss - and he/she should make sure that they leave PE class in plenty of time to get to yours.

Unfortunately you will have to sanction/punish students who do not respect your classroom. It's not very HDip-friendly to say it but you will have to be a tyrant.

Liaise with the tuto/year head/DP so that everyone knows that this lot needs 'encouragement'. But as I said, you'll need to have sanctions at the ready (use your imagination, be reasonable, be firm and communicate at all times with your colleagues about these sanctions)

You'll sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

It might be an idea to line them up outside the class for a minute or two too so that you have the bulk of the class coming in at the same time. If they're coming from the other end of the school this might also afford you the chance to look down along the corridor (depending on the geography of the school) to see the latecomers and gauge whether or not they're delaying intentionally. After you have the majority of the class waiting outside, let them in and come down as hard as is reasonable on anyone who comes in after that.

You could also do something like hold the door open and after a set period of time, you close the door. Anyone who arrives after the door is closed is late and has to get a note explaining why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Hand them work as soon as they walk through the door. A focused mind for the first few minutes sets a good tone.

Anybody messing, send them straight to the vice principals office

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 duffyp

Get them to queue at the door and let them in when they're all there- like the other poster said have work on the board for them to do straight away, maybe give stickers/praise for those who get the work done first. Best advice for a new teacher is DO NOT TALK OVER STUDENTS. Wait for quiet- it can take practice but it works. Just stand at the front in silence, stare kids out of it who continue talking, even once they're quiet give it a few seconds before you start. Its horrible the first few times you do it, but its invaluable.
    Good luck:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I never call the roll until there is silence no matter how long it takes. I ask for silence once so that I can call the roll then I sit and wait. The good ones cop it and eventually they tell each other to shut up.

Don't send someone to the vp office without first checking the procedure. It could be against procedure in certain schools. Plus you are responsible for them when they leave your room. If they go wandering and get hurt or break something it will come back in you which is def not something you want at the start of this year. Speak to more experienced teachers in the school whether you think you have integrated or not. Pick someone that has been any way friendly to you and speak with them. Everyone asks for help even the most experienced. That's one of the biggest lessons to learn when starting teaching

I would also add don't punish those that are turning up on time even with extra work you will turn the good ones against you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Afaik, you're not responsible for the child once they leave your room if they have a designated place to go.

Obviously you wouldn't be at fault if they asked to go to the bathroom, then got hurt or broke stuff along the way.

That's why I said send them to the vp rather than just stand outside the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

If they even go to the toilet you are still responsible. While under your charge for that 40 minutes you are responsible regardless of where they go.

Aside from the fact if thats what the vp wants you to do then fine do that but certainly don't do it without discussing it first however technically you are always responsible for them during your time in charge of them unless someone like vp comes and takes them from you obviously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

This sounds awfully like our current Education assignment in UCC....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I've found in third level teaching (at it nearly four years) that getting into a culture of an "on time" start seems to help. And definitely the idea of waiting for silence rather than ploughing on ahead seems to work for me - a wait of even 10 seconds seems like a very long time when you're standing there waiting to start, but it just takes getting used to.

Now, if I could permanently silence one or two of the incessant "quiet" talkers during class I'd be delighted ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Its hardly fair to pretend to have a real problem with classroom management and seek peoples advice when you actually just want help with an assignment. I'm sorry but you should at least be honest about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Anybody messing, send them straight to the vice principals office

I would avoid doing this. I never let any of my students out. As you are doing your PME, I suggest you speak to your supervising teacher as they will know the student and know how to deal with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Its hardly fair to pretend to have a real problem with classroom management and seek peoples advice when you actually just want help with an assignment. I'm sorry but you should at least be honest about it.

Ok so shenanigans have been called...

Thread closed until OP clarifies by PM.

Corkgirl18: As per charter, please report posts that are of concern rather than doing so on-thread. (It's the red Triangle icon under the username.. have a go now if you like!!!).

MOD

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement