Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Legal speeds limit?

Options
  • 10-05-2007 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

Going into some housing estates you see signs saying "5kph" etc. Are these legal signs or just those put up by people in the estates as a guideline to get people to slow down?

Also, things like going into colleges (take IT Blanch for example) it might say 15kph...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

All legal speed limits on the public highway (excluding roadworks limits) are in multiples of 10. The only ones allowed are 30 (special limit, conditions apply to usage), 50, 60, 80, 100 and 120 (special limit, conditions apply to usage). The likely legal limit in your housing estate example is 50. There would be no legal speed limit in the IT as it is not a public highway. It would be up to the driver to drive with due care and attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

So the speed limit signs would be requests or proposed guidelines rather than penalty points offenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

murphaph wrote:
    There would be no legal speed limit in the IT as it is not a public highway.

Are you sure about that? I thought legally speaking, public road was any road that the public had access to, as opposed to publicly-owened road.

The 5kph limit wouldn't be a legal speed limit. It would be like the speed limit signs at most roadworks, which haven't been council approved. (The M50 limit being a notable exception there).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Its not even possible to judge if you are doing 5kmh in a car... hell if my car is stopped my speedo does not even go down that low!!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Oirthir

I think it's just public roads that speed limits apply to.

As for speed limits inside college grounds, you might not get penalty points, but I'd check the college regulations, cause they might nab you for disobeying some random college guideline on obeying official signage...

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote:
    Its not even possible to judge if you are doing 5kmh in a car... hell if my car is stopped my speedo does not even go down that low!!

I love 5kph speed limits. PC types can get their knickers in a twist about you taking a brisk walk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Approaching the M50 toll plaza southbound, there are signs for 25 (doesn't specify MPH or km/h) and 10km/h. M50 definitely a public highway...

IIRC, Henry from Newstalk's Moncrief show did a stunt a year or two ago on the Bull Island bridge, where the speed limit was 5km/h. They got hold of a speed gun and clocked Henry walking across the bridge over the speed limit. Gotta love it.

@robbie1876 - speed limit signs are all kph - kph/mph doesn't have to be specified.

There are still a few old mph signs in places. I doubt they'd put up a kph sign without the "km/hr" written on it, it'd be very confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

ciaranfo wrote:
    Going into some housing estates you see signs saying "5kph" etc. Are these legal signs or just those put up by people in the estates as a guideline to get people to slow down?
    I'd agree it's not a legal speed limit sign, but do remember that the legal speed limit is the lesser of whatever is stated on a legal speed limit sign or whatever is an appropriate safe and considerate speed in the circumtances at the time.

It's possible to get penalty points for speeding which constitutes 'driving without due care and consideration', even though the speed was lower than the legally posted maximum.

AFAIK, it's illlegal to erect signs on public roads unless they're legally approved. An advisory sign, which should be erected by the council, whould be orange in colour and should not resemble a legally-binding sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Stark wrote:
    Are you sure about that? I thought legally speaking, public road was any road that the public had access to, as opposed to publicly-owened road.
    A roads authority (usually a county/city council) can only pass the relevant byelaws concerning the public highway (very detailed legislation with exact chainages etc. to ensure they can be enforced-it's no good saying "50km/hr from the church on the left to the school on the right" for example). They cannot impose a speed limit anywhere else. If you hit somebody in the IT carpark whilst driving at 100mph you will be prosecuted for some offence concerning your driving, but speeding won't be one of them as the Gardai cannot perform lawful speed checks off the public highway, public place or not. I know some large multinationals do speed checks in their own carparks and access roads though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

these are not in any way legal,

and interestingly, neither are lights at roadworks, or workers holding stop/go signs, you can speed through them!!its a lovely feeling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

timmywex wrote:
    these are not in any way legal,

and interestingly, neither are lights at roadworks, or workers holding stop/go signs, you can speed through them!!its a lovely feeling

This is rather at odds with your signature - is it ironic?

Incidentally, you are legally obliged to obey the instructions of a pointsman, and I'm fairly sure someone here will find the piece of legislation that allows for temporary traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

While not legally binding, you are taking legal and practical risks in ignoring them.
    robbie1876 wrote:
    IIRC, Henry from Newstalk's Moncrief show did a stunt a year or two ago on the Bull Island bridge, where the speed limit was 5km/h. They got hold of a speed gun and clocked Henry walking across the bridge over the speed limit. Gotta love it.
    Harbour bye-laws?
    timmywex wrote:
    these are not in any way legal, and interestingly, neither are lights at roadworks, or workers holding stop/go signs, you can speed through them!!its a lovely feeling
    Incidentally, you are legally obliged to obey the instructions of a pointsman, and I'm fairly sure someone here will find the piece of legislation that allows for temporary traffic lights.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054875110&page=19 Post 377 on.

timmywex, I so feel like banning you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

aren't special speed limits on road works are on the 5Kph to distinguish them from permenant limits

I was told by a driving instructor that construction workers / road workers weren't legally binding in terms of doing what they were saying - he didn't think very highly of them.

He did point out that you could be done for dangerous driving if you blatently ignored them and drove into oncoming traffic or whatever.

He did also point out that them directing you to do something, you doing it, and then you crashing or having an accident is YOUR fault and not the road workers with the signs.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

aren't special speed limits on road works are on the 5Kph to distinguish them from permenant limits

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Given the fragile nature of the wooden bridge at the Bull Island, I've little sympathy for bullies who drive over it at 50kph, just because they think the 5kph is unlawful.
    ciaranfo wrote:
    He did also point out that them directing you to do something, you doing it, and then you crashing or having an accident is YOUR fault and not the road workers with the signs.
    It's common sense that you are primarily responsible for your actions. Failing to pay attention to good advice/guidance could increase your burden of culpability.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ciaranfo wrote:
    I was told by a driving instructor that construction workers / road workers weren't legally binding in terms of doing what they were saying - he didn't think very highly of them.
    You are obliged to follow Stop / Go signs, temporary traffic lights and instructions from a banksman.

Advertisement