Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing the dish...

Options
  • 28-08-2004 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

I was trying to install the dish I bought at Lidl the other day. My idea was to use one of the balcony's rail bars so that I don't have to ask my landlord permission to make holes in the wall. Now, the bars are not round and too small!! I was thinking of using some kind of rubber to wrap the bar (I've got a piece of hoose used to fill magnets with liquid nitrogen; it is pretty heavy hardware). Any other and/or better (cheap) ideas?

I've got another question regarding the cabling from the LNB to the receiver. I've read there's current going through when the system is powered up. Does that mean that all metallic parts out in the open must be sealed to avoid water, etc.? Are there specific caps (?) to do this in case you have an extension?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

inigo wrote:
    I was trying to install the dish I bought at Lidl the other day. My idea was to use one of the balcony's rail bars so that I don't have to ask my landlord permission to make holes in the wall. Now, the bars are not round and too small!! I was thinking of using some kind of rubber to wrap the bar (I've got a piece of hoose used to fill magnets with liquid nitrogen; it is pretty heavy hardware). Any other and/or better (cheap) ideas?

I've got another question regarding the cabling from the LNB to the receiver. I've read there's current going through when the system is powered up. Does that mean that all metallic parts out in the open must be sealed to avoid water, etc.? Are there specific caps (?) to do this in case you have an extension?

Cheers!

Jubilee clips might work. You need to use self amalgamating tape to seal the screw on F connector at the lnb.

Good luck

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

The LNB came with a rubber cap to seal the connection. But because there's no hole for the cable in the wall, and I wouldn't like to put the cap on and off all the time, I was thinking of running the cable through the window (for the moment), the following way:

LNB >> short cable that came with sat-finder >> connector/adapter >> long cable through window >> receiver

And to close the window before going to bed, just disconnect it at the connector/adapter and leave the short bit hanging... Sorry all this sounds a little funny :o

So the question was, do I have to seal the area around the connector/adapter? I suppose I do...

And does "anybody" sell flat cables to run them under windows/doors?

Ufff, so many questions...

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

A while ago I read a message I can't find about installers for people who couldn't manage themselves but already had everything needed (except the skill to install it obviously).

I seem to remember Tony couldn't do it if the stuff hadn't been bought off him. Tony, if you remember, somebody had quoted you incorrectly.

Could anybody please tell me if they found somebody, since I may need to get the dish installed up in the roof...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

inigo wrote:
    And to close the window before going to bed, just disconnect it at the connector/adapter and leave the short bit hanging... Sorry all this sounds a little funny

You might give a look at this:
    http://www.accessorywarehouse.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AWI&Product_Code=970002&Category_Code=

I've only ever seen these in American books. As it is an American product you'd need to find out first if it works with a Universal LNB.

A cheaper alternative:
    http://www.accessorywarehouse.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AWI&Product_Code=106080&Category_Code=

Advertisement