Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

getting freeview in balbriggan

• 28-08-2004 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

my Da went up north to argos to buy an freeview box which he wanted to use in cloone in county leitrim,unforunately for him the house he built is in a valley.so I am moven to Balbriggan and have suggested to him that I might buy the freeview box of him if it would work off an average aerial which I can pick up in Argos cheaply.Moylaragh is the area where I am moveing and i have seen these big huge aerials on the side of some gaffs out there and they are huge and i am not sure what way they are pointing or what stations they are getting of these monsters.does anyone know what the story is
    thanks Ciaran
    :eek: :rolleyes:

Comments

Very very unlikely.
    There are others who will know the area who could answer better.
    But I'm guessing that the aerials might be pointed to kilkeel which is only a relay and has no DTT/freeview.
    If they are pointed to Divis, Freeview needs an almost perfect analog signal to work and I doubt if they have a strong enough Divis signal there.
    Although the digital signals are transmitted separately, the analog reception is a good indication of whether freeview is possible or not.

Moving this to terrestrial by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

reliable long distance reception of Freeview is usually difficult although Someone did manage it in Mullingar

If youre lucky you might manage to pull in something but dont be suprised if some channels are missing/breaking up or the number of channels varies from day to day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Be wary that the frequencies used at Divis for DTT are the same as those used by RTE from Three Rock and Mt.Leinster - the two exceptions are Muxs C & D (Ch 48 and 34)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

ciarann,
    You havent a hope in hell of receiving freeview in Balbriggan,all the aerials that are on roofs are pointing at Kilkeel which is only a relay for divis and does not carry DTT signals.I had a lend of a freeview box to see could I get anything with it,but to no avail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ciarann

But,while I was out last night with a friend of mine who lives up there.he has sky and an aeriol up and gets basic English channals and he said his reception is nearly perfect and he thinks I am on verly high ground were I am in moylaragh and have a good chance of picking up the digital freeview.
    sure all you can do is pray :rolleyes: :D:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ciarann

if,
    i went up north and bought a digital aireol,i would love to sicken you all,i can see the sea from me loft,keep[ the faith lads????????,sure why not :rolleyes: :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

ciarann,You go and waste your money on a freeview box.Moylaragh is on the Flemmingtown lane in Balbriggan,you might be able to see the sea from your attic but you will not be able to pick up freeview in Balbriggan.I am on the sea front here and I could not pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

ciarann wrote:
    if,
    i went up north and bought a digital aireol,i would love to sicken you all,i can see the sea from me loft,keep[ the faith lads????????,sure why not :rolleyes: :cool:

Well, that is better than saying we told you so. ;)

I'll ask two things before you go and buy one.
    It what direction is your aerial, or that of your neighbours pointing? Is it pointing north-eastwards out to sea, or more Northerly?

Please reply, we give good advice here.

Advertisement