Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody on line now ? Cable Type

Options
  • 27-08-2004 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Just a quickie, before I run out and buy the wrong stuff and blow myself up.
    Which cable is best for Sat System 50ohms or 75 ohms impedance?
    Yeah ..you've guessed it... another Lidl newbie.
    Is there anything so obvious and fundemental that wasn't mentioned on the "stickies"?
    In advance tnx
    t

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

CT100 is the cable that you should get for satellite systems. Some places will have RG6 cable. While not as highly recommended it should also work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Thanks ShaneOC
    As you're on line can I ask you ..Do you know if "ct 100" is 50ohms or 75ohms? That's the lnb to receiver sorted out.
    If not using scart from receiver to tv but ordinary patch lead(coax), thats 75ohms ..right???? Same as the cable system 'round house .In other words can I use my existing booster ( used to amplify ntl signal through house) to distribute OUTPUT from Sat Receiver.
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Yes you can use the existing cable (and booster) as the RF signals will be fine on that. You are better off using SCART to the main TV as the RF outputs (there are 2) on the digibox do not output a stereo signal on the digital channel.

Many thanks for info. It IS appreciated.
    regards
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

In general 73 ohms (rounded to 75) is standard for recieving aerials (including satellite, Cable TV etc)

52 ohms is used for transmitting and two way applications (broadcasting, CB, Ham and two way radio)

Theres also a 288/300 ohm balanced system seen on old American/Japanese gear but one rarely comes across it nowadays

CT81 CT100 CT125 CT167 and CT233 are all 75 ohm cables (CT100 is normaly used for aerials and CT125 for satellite)

Confusingly there are other standards for designating Coax such as RG ("radio grade") and UR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Mike 1972 wrote:

CT81 CT100 CT125 CT167 and CT233 are all 75 ohm cables (CT100 is normaly used for aerials and CT125 for satellite)

CT100 can be also be used for satellite, CT125 is really only necessary on long runs

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ricta

I have a 25m run from LNB to receiver, is CT100 ok on this or would CT125 be necessary?
    LIDL sold a cable tv extension kit this week which "seems" to be ct100 spec, no numbers on the cable but it does have a silver wrapping under the braid, does this make it ct100?

rgds

Ricta

Hi
    Once again huge tnx
    regards
    t

Advertisement