Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Rates - is this right?

Options
  • 15-10-2006 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

I got a taxi home this morning.

Journey in KM: 2.82
    Date: 15/10/06
    Start time: 0531
    Finish time: 0536

Extras: €2.00 (is this because I called the taxi to a house?)

Total Fare + Extras: €8.70

Is that right?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did the taxi have a list of rates visible?
    Have a look through http://www.taxiregulator.ie/index.jsp?1nID=93&pID=97&nID=124 to see if they are the new fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

ciaranfo wrote:

Is that right?

Sounds 100% in order. €4.10 is the night start off fee, €2 for a radio booking, and about €1.20 per Kilometre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

ciaranfo wrote:

Is that right?

Are you a bit tight?

You called a person to your door who drove you home at all hours of the morning and it only cost you eight quid, the cost of two pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Wonderful fredfunk ... joyful... brilliant answer. Thanks so much for your help.
    I don't see why you say "you called a person to your door who drove you home at all hours of the morning" for. I don't thank a dentist for cleaning my teeth, or a milkman for the conveinence of dropping my milk off at the door, or a road sweeper for cleaning crap off the road. It's their job, and they're paid for it. Nobody thanks me for working in a shop all day dealing with assholes, it's my job! < /rant>

Thanks Ham - just wanted to check the rates, seemed a bit much for a 5 minute journey, just wondered is all.

++ edit ++
    Sorry fred ... no, I'm far from a tight bastard when it comes to money ... I just wanted to check the fair is all. I'd have happily paid about €20 for the sake of not having to walk ... but that doesn't mean I can't query what I paid and what exactly I paid for.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did you query it at the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Are you a bit tight?
    I don't think he's a bit tight considering that he paid €8.70 for a trip he could have walked it in 25/30 minutes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

The fare sounds spot on for that time and distance and isn't a whole lot to earn when all things are considered. Ham "an" Egger is correct in the description of the fare structure.

As for "Fred", well its just another example of how volatile some can be on these boards. Makes some of this forums MODS look human. I guess its a case of some people depending on the "net" and the woefully bad manners and ignorance it encourages. Its customer service poilicy thats needed, not charters.

Anyway Ciaran, your fare sounds.....fair and in my opinion you shouldn't have edited your original response. You were treated poorly by Fred the F**ker. (Funker, obviously):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Mexicola

ciaranfo wrote:
    I don't thank a dentist for cleaning my teeth, or a milkman for the conveinence of dropping my milk off at the door, or a road sweeper for cleaning crap off the road.

I would. Job or not. ;)

Anyway, that taxi fare sounds about right. Do you think it was too much? I try and avoid taxis if I can these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

can somebody let me know how much the fare would be for 15 miles from santry to tallaght?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

jjbrien wrote:
    can somebody let me know how much the fare would be for 15 miles from santry to tallaght?

Real "how long is string" question, very hard to give an exact answer answer. Time of day, traffic conjection, the distance between A and B and the route taken will determine what you pay, but I would guess that it will cost you at least €30 at day rates, €40 at evening rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I got charged €8 for a journey of 0.9km from the pub to home. I'll be walking home in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

jjbrien wrote:

I would say about E35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

I got charged €8 for a journey of 0.9km from the pub to home. I'll be walking home in future.

until you get mugged by a different type of mugger.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

kbannon wrote:
    Did you query it at the time?
    I was intoxicated, but did ask for a reciept to query the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Hi,

I think the new rates are fantastic because I live just over the Kildare/Dublin boundry and I don't get ripped off any more.

However even I , and some of the taxi drivers I have spoken to think the short trips are now expensive.

The breakdown given by the earlier poster sounds about right , the rates are publically available here :-

http://www.taxiregulator.ie/index.jsp?1nID=93&pID=94&nID=103

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Davidth88 wrote:
    Hi,

I think the new rates are fantastic because I live just over the Kildare/Dublin boundry and I don't get ripped off any more.

However even I , and some of the taxi drivers I have spoken to think the short trips are now expensive.

The breakdown given by the earlier poster sounds about right , the rates are publically available here :-

http://www.taxiregulator.ie/index.jsp?1nID=93&pID=94&nID=103

I don't think the use of the phrase "ripped off" is fair tbh. You live outside of the area's which are defined by the carriage office to be meter area's. In theory the taxi driver could charge you whatever he liked in bringing you from any place inside to an area outside of this pre-designated meter area.

The introduction of the new fare structure is supposed to address this and other issues. I believe that while shorter taxi journeys will be a bit more expensive, all in all, it will balance itself out.

don't think the use of the phrase "ripped off" is fair tbh

Oh I don't know , 73 euro on the old ' system ' from the rank at the Airport to Celbridge now replaced by 41 euro by the new system on the meter to me is a rip off.

In 2002 it was 50 odd euro, and then overnight it jumped to 73 !

Yes of course in theory any fare over the border of the taxi area was up for negotiation , but in practice what the Taxi drivers did was pull out their NTDU
    ' Suggested fare sheet ' and it was case closed, when you get off a 12 hr flight you are not in a frame of mind to argue really.

If I took a taxi to Lucan , then another to Celbridge this worked out to about 40 euro also, or if I booked a local Celbridge cab it was 40 euro.

I welcome these new rates they straighten things up in my scenareo anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Shorter trips are defo gonna work out more expensive.
    For Example, a 2.5km trip which used to cost about €5.50 - €6.00 is now costing €10.00 which is a huge jump
    I for one will now be walking home after a night on the booze

Davidth88 wrote:
    Oh I don't know , 73 euro on the old ' system ' from the rank at the Airport to Celbridge now replaced by 41 euro by the new system on the meter to me is a rip off.

In 2002 it was 50 odd euro, and then overnight it jumped to 73 !

Yes of course in theory any fare over the border of the taxi area was up for negotiation , but in practice what the Taxi drivers did was pull out their NTDU
    ' Suggested fare sheet ' and it was case closed, when you get off a 12 hr flight you are not in a frame of mind to argue really.

If I took a taxi to Lucan , then another to Celbridge this worked out to about 40 euro also, or if I booked a local Celbridge cab it was 40 euro.

I welcome these new rates they straighten things up in my scenareo anyway !
    Did you have no choice? Did you not have an option? Could the Taxi driver not have taken you as far towards Celbridge/Wherever as the meter would allow, and then give you the option of an alternative transport? Could you not have gotten the Taxi to a train station/bus station and then public transport onto your final destination?

Did you not agree this fare previous to your taxi journey starting? You claim that you were "ripped off", and yet you have no comparrison on which to base this on. The guidelines were quite straight forward when the meter area was based on 'x' miles from the GPO.

You are complaining and claiming to be ripped off because the guidlines did not suit your specific needs. i.e. a meter area that covered areas outside of the Dublin remit.

You had a choice. A choice that was as follows:

1) You arranged alternative transport for yourself, other than a taxi,

or

2) You negotiated with a taxi driver, until the price matched the figure you wanted to pay

or

3) You take a taxi to an area within the meter area, and then get alternative transport

or

4) You move into Dublin.

I really don't see how you can allow yourself to be "ripped off" tbh. You would swear that you did not have an alternative choice.

Hobart, for a moderator you are showing the ability to stray off the thread totally.

1) Off course I could , and do ( or rather did ) organise alternative travel arrangements , as I said in my earlier replies , I often got a taxi to Lucan then another onwards, or organised a local Celbridge taxi As for alternative transport other than Taxi , you try getting from the Airport to Celbridge possibly late at night any other way ! What do you suggest I do WALK ?

2) As I said in my earlier answers, the taxi drivers used to pull out this ' official ' NTDU sheet, now both you and I both know this wasn't official , but you tell me if after a 12 hr flight you want to argue ..... no you want to get home.

3) see one .... its the same thing !

4) You have got to be joking , have you seen house prices ? Anyway why should I ?

Yes of course I agreed to the ' rip off ' that doesn't mean I was happy paying the stupid prices I was quoted, what do I do ? refuse and get in the next taxi that pulls out the same ' official ' sheet. This was a cartel of the worst type and I for one am very very glad its been knocked on the head now !

The defination of rip-off I was using was a ' grossly overpriced article' as defined in the dictionary. I was not using this in the context of stealing perhaps I should be more careful .....

I was trying to be constructive, add to a reasonable debate about the NEW and current taxi regulations. The old ones left a lot to be desired , including
    the ability for drivers to ' name their own price '. Yes I welcome them , some people no doubt don't but I was giving my opinion ...... isn't that what this forum is all about ?

• Advertisement

I don't see how my replies to your "rip off" type attitude have strayed the thread of topic. In fact, the OP was more or less asking the same question, albeit concerning a shorter journey.

I live outside of the meter area, Dunboyne to be exact. I used to be in a job that required a lot of travel, and yes, I have come across the laminated sheet €50 type fare to a place which is closer to the airport than some within the taxi meter area. I can honestly say that not once did I agree to pay this fare. Yes, I have been asked to step out of taxi's, yes I had to get taxi's as far as Littlepace in Clonee and have a friend or the missus collect, but I have never once paid an overly inflated fare.

Do you know what I did? I arranged a hackney to come in from Dunboyne and collect each time I needed. I built up a reputation with this company, and hence had the benifits that come with being a regular customer, and this was mostly in a situaton when I was not even paying for the fare out of my own pocket. Go me, to break this evil cartel :confused:.

You can only be, or feel, ripped off if you feel that you do not have any other choice, my point is this. You did. If you feel that after these multitudes of 12 hour flights that you were not in a position to argur your case, I suppose then that that's fair enough. But don't be crying out about being ripped off, when you choose a more expensive method of transport for purely convenience reasons.

As a postscript "what this forum is all about" is pretty much covered in the charter.

Advertisement