Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would love to get a dog but...

Options
  • 02-06-2011 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I have a very quick question. Is it cruel to get a dog is there is nobody at home for most of the day? By most of the day I mean between 10am & 4pm? There is a garden and the dog would be brought for walks every evening. Both myself & my wife are mad about dogs so it would really be cared for but am concerned about nobody being at home for most of the morning & afternoon.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks,
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm sure if everybody waited until the situation was perfect then hardly any of us would have dogs.

What sort of dog were ya looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Most people have to work, otherwise how could you afford the dog food, vet bills etc?:D If you could get up a little bit earlier and walk the dog in the morning and evening, that would be much better. I see you live in Dublin, you could get a dog walker to come in every day while you're at work, they could take the dog out for an hour around 11am maybe, which will keep it happy until you come home.

Best of luck, I hope you get your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi those hours should not stop you getting a dog. the type of dog is very important. I think that if you get an older dog it would be fine. You could not leave a puppy on its own for that long, it would not be fair. How about looking at a rescue dog maybe a bit older so a lot calmer. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

10 am to 4pm is NOT that long especially if you walk the dog in the morning and the evening.
    Even 20 minutes before you leave the house would hugely beneftit the dog.

In my case, I'm gone from 7.15 a.m. to 5.15 pm so I walk them for 20-30 minutes at 6.30 a.m. then a dog walker does it half way through the day and I give them another walk in the evening 30 minutes if the westher is horrible, up to 1 hour on an ok day

hope thats enough, please let me know what you all think and is there anything else I could do? would gladly listen to any advice to make them even happier :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Oh thats not so long! I get up at 6.15 to take the dog for 20-30 mins before I go to work, I leave home at 7.15 and often dont get home until 21.00, a girl I know comes in to take him for a walk in the middle of the day for around 45mins with her dog and I take him for a small 20 mins in the evening. I know that I dont work every day but you have to go to work too! As I say to the dog in the morning when Im heading out the door Im off to work to help fund his lifestyle!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Sounds like a great home for an older dog, if you need recommendations for rescues just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Emoi

crally wrote: »
    hi those hours should not stop you getting a dog. the type of dog is very important. I think that if you get an older dog it would be fine. You could not leave a puppy on its own for that long, it would not be fair. How about looking at a rescue dog maybe a bit older so a lot calmer. good luck

Yes I definately wouldn't get a puppy, you should go to a shelter and ask them if you can adopt an older dog.
    It's usually the dogs that are older that they find harder to home, so I'm sure they would be delighted to know the dog would have a quiet, relaxed home.

Older dogs tend to just sleep all day anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Depends how big the garden is for the size of the dog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

It's absolutely doable, just don't get a pup!

5hours isn't that long TBH, just make sure he get walked before you head off and bring the dog out again when you get home. Give him/her plenty of attention in evenings. I work all day and I spend every minute of my evenings and weekends with my dogs, bring them everywhere with me. just need to make the time I spend with them really count!

Good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

serenacat wrote: »
    Depends how big the garden is for the size of the dog

I always thought this was an odd way of thinking the bigger the garden the bigger the dog you can have, small garden= small dog. Iv a fairly big garden and a small dog and he doesn't really use half the garden unless I throw a ball across it for him, I have absolute confidence he would do fine in a house with a small garden so long as he got his walks (on a long lead so he has freedom to run). In my opinion once you have the time and local amenities (beach, field, woods) to allow the dog to stretch his legs garden size shouldn't make any difference.

6 hours a day on his own for an adult dog is not long at all, I would definitely avoid a puppy as you would be asking for trouble as regards housetraining and boredom, but the right adult dog would get on fine. If your leaving at 10am that gives you loads of time in the morning for a morning walk, then look into buying a kong http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html to keep him occupied eating his breakfast while your gone, then an evening walk when you get home. There's also options of dog walkers and dog daycare while your gone also.

The only thing I would be concerned about is where the dog would be while your gone. Dog theft is becoming increasingly more common. That said there's also been a number of cases of houses being broken into for the dog so I suppose no matter what you do your not 100% safe but if the dog is left in the garden during that time take extra security measures and padlock any gates and keep him/her out of view from the road.

Are ye open to the idea of a rescue dog? There's loads of adult dogs of all ages, sizes and breeds available so Im sure it won't be hard to find a suitable candidate! :D Have ye any breeds or types in mind already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Sorry to hijack thread but myself and my girlfriend ane looking to get a pup in the next while.

I work Mon-Fri and my girlfriend works a few nights and days per week. So the pup might be left for 2 days of the week alone. My parents are nearby though so they could pop in on those 2 days and let the pup out and give the needed attention. That would probably be once during the day.

Is this acceptable in terms of training, avoiding boredom? Are 2 days alone for a pup too much or does the fact that someone will pop in make a difference?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

we also had this dilemma i once text into a radio show to say we were considering getting a dog that was going to be alone two days a week, every texter said no way its cruel, put me off for a year but eventually got one anyway and he is a very happy healthy dog he gets so much attention when we are here and is totally loved by us all .if you have love to give get the dog and dont worry just leave a lot of chew toys and plenty of water for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

snollup wrote: »
    Hey all,

I have a very quick question. Is it cruel to get a dog is there is nobody at home for most of the day? By most of the day I mean between 10am & 4pm? There is a garden and the dog would be brought for walks every evening. Both myself & my wife are mad about dogs so it would really be cared for but am concerned about nobody being at home for most of the morning & afternoon.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks,
    Joe

Hi Joe, both myself and the oh work the same hours which change day to day with our work but always an 8hr shift. We are always home every day. We've got a rottie and he's inside the house "all day" until we get home. So in short nope its definitely not cruel, we both seperatley took time off work when we first got him to settle him in at home and he's doing fine now.
    BullBauld wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack thread but myself and my girlfriend ane looking to get a pup in the next while.

I work Mon-Fri and my girlfriend works a few nights and days per week. So the pup might be left for 2 days of the week alone. My parents are nearby though so they could pop in on those 2 days and let the pup out and give the needed attention. That would probably be once during the day.

Is this acceptable in terms of training, avoiding boredom? Are 2 days alone for a pup too much or does the fact that someone will pop in make a difference?

Thanks in advance

Do you mean the pup would be left alone for 2 days, as in no contact whatsoever or do you mean alone until you or your oh shift is done? If you mean no contact apart from the parents calling over then personally I would not recommend getting a dog until your work shift situation changes.

That said to both of you, it is all down to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

Can you clarify your post? Is the dog going to be completely on their own for two whole days. Would you not see the dog in the morning and the evening?

If your parents are nearby try to convince them to take the dog up to their house for a while during the day. Parents can be reluctant to do that at first, but you'd be surprised how quickly a dog grows on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

...a girl I know comes in to take him for a walk in the middle of the day for around 45mins with her dog...

Agree with this poster. That's the ideal way to go about it.

If you are getting a pup try to find some way of getting home for the first few weeks at least, if that is at all possible.

keanooo wrote: »
    Can you clarify your post? Is the dog going to be completely on their own for two whole days. Would you not see the dog in the morning and the evening?

If your parents are nearby try to convince them to take the dog up to their house for a while during the day. Parents can be reluctant to do that at first, but you'd be surprised how quickly a dog grows on them.

Sorry to clarify, the pup wont be left at home for 2 days & nights without any contact.

It would be something like a Monday & Friday when my girlfirend has to work. We would see the pup that morning and be home bout half 4ish that evening and in between hopefully my parents could bring him out and let him do his business too and feed him. Would be the same story for the Friday.

There would be someone with him all the other the other time, full time.

I hope that sounds a bit better than I had originally put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Evac105

I am the delighted owner of a 4 month old puppy (thought @ 17kg he stretches that term a little). Twice a week he goes to 'doggy day care', where from about 8:30-17:30 he hangs out with other dogs and the staff at a dog place in Ranelagh (Tues and Thurs) and then three days a week he stays at home from 9:15-17:30. On the days he stays home he gets walked for 35-50 minutes in the morning before we head off to work. Generally when I get home he's asleep on an old couch we shoved into the outside shed for him to sleep on should he get bored of playing in the back garden. He seems quite happy with this arrangement and is a gentle dog with a sweet disposition, generally remarked upon for how well adjusted he is by both strangers and the staff of the day care he attends.

I may of course just be obsessively fond of him and that people say these things to all dog owners :P

259731_10150202955859156_568694155_7408071_560767_o.jpg

Sorry to clarify, the pup wont be left at home for 2 days & nights without any contact.

It would be something like a Monday & Friday when my girlfirend has to work. We would see the pup that morning and be home bout half 4ish that evening and in between hopefully my parents could bring him out and let him do his business too and feed him. Would be the same story for the Friday.

There would be someone with him all the other the other time, full time.

I hope that sounds a bit better than I had originally put it.

Ah thats much better now that its clarified :D

Everyone out there has to work and if you didnt you wouldnt be able to afford you dog ;)

Your parents could drop in and see the dog. Although you could make his feed times to suit you not him. With a pup you would be feeding him 3-4 times a day at the start small feeds only then spread out to 2-3 times then down to 2 feeds eventually. As long as there is always water there and you leave a feed there for your pup when your leaving for work with a possible additional toy with food stuffed inside(kong) to keep him entertained while you are in work you pup will do just fine!!

Go on and start looking is my advice.. :D

Thanks for reply and advice garkane.

We are looking for an Airedale so fingers crossed, thye are hard to come by.

you should contact the Irish Kennel Club they will help you out with everything you need to know with some advice and they will put you in contact with registered breeders of Airdale's and they of course will give you even more great advice ;)

Keep us updated and let everyone here know if you need any more advice, everyone will always have their 2 cents to add :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement