Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry Cleaners Fire Damage - Insurance Claim

Options
  • 27-01-2011 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I dropped a suit and some tie's into a dry cleaners in Stillorgan last Thurs afternoon for collection late Sat or Monday. On Friday night there was a major fire in the vacant unit next door to dry cleaners and seems there is a lot of smoke damage in dry cleaners.

Finally got talking to someone in there today and insurance assessors are dealing with customer claims over next few days so I gotta go down and pitch my case.

Anyone any ideas on what I can expect to be able to claim back for my clothes? - supposedly all were smoke damaged but not sure yet if mine totalled. I should add too I paid in advance (against all my principles) for a 5% discount; seemed like sense at time to save a quick €2.50.

Suit is a good wool suit and 5 x silk ties from M&S - would cost circa €300 to replace like for like.

I am a real stickler for keeping receipts and likely have a receipt for the suit but ties are a little older.

Any advice on how best to deal with the assessors and what my rights are.

Thanks for any help
    Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

I'd look to see if they can be cleaned to the standard you expect or the cost of replacement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you're expecting the worst I'd have a replacement cost back-up from M&S (written quote etc.) with me to move things along.
    Hopefully it may just need another deep clean.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Yeah, was thinking this myself - if they can be cleaned and freshened up then I would be happy to have them back. Only reason I sent in the tie's is that I have them a few years and I really like them, and would not be able to get direct replacements.

The annoying thing is that the suit and ties lay on the bed for weeks until I got around to dropping them in - got home early from work one day last week and grabbed them and went down; Doh! Good timing...

I suppose I am not worst off - I recall seeing wedding dresses etc all hanging up day I went in. I know if my wife lost her wedding dress to this she would be well gutted - even though it has been in a box in the attic for last 5 years. Maybe she is saving it for another day out :D

Will let ye know how it works out.

Thanks
    Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Read terms and conditions on dry cleaning receipt. Have you got your own insurance that you could claim under?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Went down and saw assessor this morning and there was a good crowd there to meet him. Seems I was one with least worries... people there with wedding dresses, very expensive coats and dresses etc (well so they were saying anyway;))

Gave us a claim form which they hope to process within 2 weeks, where reasonable.

He said likely best we can expect is 40-50% of replacement value and those that paid in advance can expect full reimbursement for that money etc.

I have a a receipt for the suit but would have to really dig to find them for the ties - but reckon I would have them as I hold onto all receipts for years! Never know when the soles may fall off those old shoes..:D

People were making very strong point that they wanted their actual items returned but he said that if they insisted on this then insurer would not pay them so best wait till after they get their claim. I can agree here for people with wedding dresses etc in there - whilst you may never wear it again, you would still want to keep it.

Anyway's gonna fill out the form and see what happens. Form wants my house policy details to put people off double claiming but I ain't providing that as next thing I may be getting a letter from my insurer to say they were claiming off them!!

Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Most dry cleaners have cover for goods in trust, so you should be alright for compensation. However, because clothes have a limited lifespan, insurers make arbitrary decisions as to depreciation for wear and tear. Stick to your guns during negotiations. If you have receipts to prove that the items were recently purchased, it is up to them to prove their % depreciation is justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mi

I am seeking any other brides to be that may have lost their dress in the fire started in Chartbusters in Stillorgan. i dropped in my beautiful vera Wang wedding dress 3 weeks ago as it had a slight mark in it from transport. I was very cautious putting it in as I done the research any had heard the horror stories about wedding dress cleaning so i asked BT where I purchased my dream dress and they recommended Jeeves and that they sent anything they need cleaned there. With that I dropped it in and asked the girl behind the counter of gaurantees in case something should go wrong as it cost a LOT of money and more importantly I had not gotten married yet! she assured me " It will be ok we have warranties in place but nothing will happen"
    I was due to collect last Monday but I was tied up with work so my fiance and I drove out today to pick it up and to our horror out worst nightmare started to unfold. My fiance rang the risk accessor for Jeeves and said he would sent forms. I appreciate that there is a system that needs to be adhered to but for god sake no one even gave us the courtesy of a phone call. Granted paper work may have been destroyed but they could have let their customers know via a newspaper advert etc.
    Obviously I am completely distraught. we are not wealthy people and I worked 14 hour days to pay for my Vera Wang.
    I appreciate there is a criminal investigation going on and that screams very long time to me and we are getting married in september. We can't afford to buy another.
    Any advice pleeeease....
    I read another post and they said that the accessor would pay 40-50% of the cost of items but this is not a work shirt or a good coat this is my wedding dress!!!!
    I will not let this lie and will fight them tooth and nail to get back what is mine. i have receipts from purchase and docket from Jeeves

Please please any one else running to wedding dead line??

;-(

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Here is details of the fire:

http://www.thejournal.ie/three-firemen-treated-after-major-stillorgan-fire-2011-1/

I would imagine that there will be a lot of very significant claims and some with greater urgency than others.

In terms of your dress, they probably have dry cleaners shop insurance and Business Interruption Insurance (for themsleves). (I didn't know the other shops were franchisees)

The loss adjuster/assessor that has been appointed to the case is here: http://www.arthurlyons.com/claimprocedure.htm

I would be very clear in all my dealings that this is a brand new dess and full replacement cost must be given so you can purchase another one. A smoke damaged dress may not recover with further cleaning.

I haven't driven by but looking at these pictures :
    http://www.hegartydemolition.ie/news/news/huge-fire-in-stillorgan the building looks as if gutted.

They will try to pay 40-50% because others may have had older suits and ties etc. Yours was new.

You must remember that there are a number of insurers going to be involved in these claims and one claiming from another etc.

My best advice is to get the adjuster/assessor on your side in a calm, calculated way - don't give up in your attempts to be reimbursed.

Dreadful thing to happen to you, good luck with the wedding!

Advertisement