Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What food for boxer?

Options
  • 05-01-2011 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

My boxer is almost 11months old and is still on Beta puppy (chicken and rice). I'm looking for a good adult food to move her onto. She seems to be doing well on the beta puppy but it doesnt seem to be highly recommended from any reviews i've read.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Beta is an alright food, but you can get a lot better quality foods. Seeing as she's a boxer, she would need to stay on puppy food until she's at least fifteen months old and you'd be better off getting her onto a large breed specific one as it does a bit more for the joints and cartilage. Royal Canin, James Wellbeloved, Real Nature, Science Plan, Eukanuba are all good brands. I use Real Nature because its free of preservatives and additives, and I find my fella's stools are grand and solid when he's going to the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

Shanao wrote: »
    Beta is an alright food, but you can get a lot better quality foods. Seeing as she's a boxer, she would need to stay on puppy food until she's at least fifteen months old and you'd be better off getting her onto a large breed specific one as it does a bit more for the joints and cartilage. Royal Canin, James Wellbeloved, Real Nature, Science Plan, Eukanuba are all good brands. I use Real Nature because its free of preservatives and additives, and I find my fella's stools are grand and solid when he's going to the toilet.

Large breed specific food?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I have a boxer,had 2 untill 3 weeks ago:( They both did great on Arden Grange,Poor Bruno was allergic to wheat and would bleed if he ate any other food.I suggested it to a fella I know with 2 young GSDs and he thinks its brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

You can buy food that has been tailored to specific breeds I feed my two royal canin maxi adult and it suits my dobie who would have sensitive digestion and will need the oils and minerals as time goes on to reduce the chance of developing joint and hip problems. There is a Royal Canin especially for boxer breeds! The nugget is shaped to suit the boxer mouth and it has added vitimns and minerals to support a boxers heart and immune system!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

All of the beta puppy foods (including large breed) are very high in protein, with a large dog you want lower protein levels so their bones grow slowly and evenly to prevent problems in adulthood. If I were you I would look for something around the 23-24% protein mark to change him on to and go lower again when he's around a year and a half. Have a look at different foods on zooplus.co.uk, all the nutrient analysis and ingredients are listed there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Plus high protein can send them mad, as its gives them a lot of energy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

I feed my boxer rc boxer 26,and she absolutly thrives on it...she wasnt too fussed on dry so i mix in a little salmon oil and she devours it:Deveryone always comments on her coat and thank god she has never been sick

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

Just a quick update, I've been looking into changing my boxer's food from Purina Beta Puppy to an Adult food as she's now 14months old.

I've decided to try Red Mills Leader Supreme. I priced it in MaxiZoo and the regular Leader was €44 (15kg), but cant remember the price of the Supreme.

Anyway i ordered it from here http://www.petworlddirect.ie/product/Dogs/DogFood/DogDryFood/DG010

for €34 delivered! :)

Also, the protein content of the Beta is 29% and the Supreme is 23%....so hopefully this will help calm her down a bit...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

deadlast wrote: »

Also, the protein content of the Beta is 29% and the Supreme is 23%....so hopefully this will help calm her down a bit...:confused:

My baba calmed down a LOT when we went RC Maxi Jnr 30% :eek: to Burns at 18.5%. Also there was less poo which is always good lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

My cavalier is being fed burns but when the bag runs out i think id like to change brand for a little variety... are there any high energy (he is a little lazy..), but low-fat (i have to watch his weight), dry brands of food?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 FlamingSox

I read that boxers should not be fed 'large breed' food as they are not large breeds, but medium! Have fed my boxer RC26 from 15 mths of age. She is currently on a mix of Orijen & Acana. Arden Grange is also far superior to RC (according to dogfoodanalysis.com).

Advertisement