Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension - Annual Fees whichever route I take!

Options
  • 09-12-2010 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi,
    My pension scheme is winding up, I don't have another scheme I can join and won't be setting up a PRSA. I seem to have 3 options-
    (i) Buy-out Bond
    (ii) Self Directed Pension
    (iii) Self Administered Pension

No matter what route I take, I get hit with annual fees.
    I've 30 years to go before I hit retirement age, all I want to do is stick my lump sum away in a government bond and forget about it till I retire.
    But to do this, I have to take one of the 3 options above, (iii) sounds to be too expensive and too much hassle for what I want, and (i) and (ii) attract annual charges so I'm faced with paying around 1% a year for the next 30 years.
    If I'm lucky and the value of my pension doesn't fall (it's down 14% already and I have to cash in :() the annual fees alone will eat up 25% of the original lump sum.
    If I'm even luckier and it makes 1% a year I might breakeven..

Is there any way of just buying a bond and not incurring these fees for the rest of the life of the pension?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MIS broker

WLSM wrote: »
    Hi,
    My pension scheme is winding up, I don't have another scheme I can join and won't be setting up a PRSA. I seem to have 3 options-
    (i) Buy-out Bond

I've 30 years to go before I hit retirement age, all I want to do is stick my lump sum away in a government bond and forget about it till I retire.
    But to do this, I have to take one of the 3 options above, (iii) sounds to be too expensive and too much hassle for what I want, and (i) and (ii) attract annual charges so I'm faced with paying around 1% a year for the next 30 years.
    If I'm lucky and the value of my pension doesn't fall (it's down 14% already and I have to cash in :() the annual fees alone will eat up 25% of the original lump sum.

Is there any way of just buying a bond and not incurring these fees for the rest of the life of the pension?

The 3 opptions is all you have to go with, But you Need to see a independent assurance broker like myself and give options, Good options, and you will pay Fees but you can also make your money work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MIS broker

Hi,
    (i) Buy-out Bond

The 3 opptions is all you have to go with, But you Need to see a independent assurance broker like myself and give options, Good options, you will have to pay Fees, but no Broker fees, as the broker get commissions from the life assurance company, but a good broker, can also make your money work for you.

No. The only thing you can do is try and keep the annual management charges to the minimum.

If you are comfortable enough with an 'execution only' service (no advice on product/provider or funds) you should be able to buy a suitable product with less that a 1% AMC and no entry/exit charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

stevedcbx wrote: »
    Hi WLSM,

Have sent you private email

Steve
    Post wrong...sorry

Advertisement