Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would it bother you to live next to a graveyard?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Degsy wrote: »
    Not only that,"fetal bones" wouldnt be still in situ in the mother's belly.
    The act of digging them as well as post-mortem movement of the soil would have disarticulated the skelatons and it would be very difficult to see what bones belonged to whom.
    Unless his parents were trained archeologists...
    I call shenanigans on that assertion.

Tis' all true (starflakes' family home being my in-laws)

The find was made before the amendments to the national monuments acts of the post-Cullen era, so without suspicion of foul play, and a satisfactory carbon date, the bones were moved from the field to a nearby churchyard.

I have seen the remaining bones which, although excellently preserved, are badly fragmented from careless digging over time, and probably significant compaction from years of tillage. (The field was never set in ridges as far as I know, so the ground was never penetrated below a few feet).

The foetal bones are interesting, the way they were described to me sounds exactly as starflake put it - also, all bodies were interred in single graves, so I doubt they were the bones of another.

The area itself has a long history of small-holder settlement, and the place-naming sugests something of the significance of the field. All bodies were interred facing the same direction, so the ritualistic layout is confusing me, as it doesnt correspond with the stated carbon date in terms of religious practice.

As soon as I have time I will follow it up, but I suspect the bones are from a much later famine grave, which would explain both the place-naming, local superstition, and the interment pattern.

I didn't see them in-situ before they were moved, which I would imagine, will limit any further conclusions without a full overview of the layout

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

well either they wer foetal bones or she had just ate a big chicken!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

I get an odd vibe around graveyards...hospitals and prisons too..it feels like there's traces of the people in the area still,not just the corpses but the mourners too..like the grief has been soaked into the stones.
    Its very hard to explain and not everybody gets it but i wouldnt be able to live near a graveyard for that reason.

As much as I believe in vibes and the power of energy and what not, I don't think that it'd bother me too much. If they're well kept, graveyards and cemeteries are often quite beautiful places, very still and quiet.

At the very least, you'd know the lot next door to you wouldn't become the future site of some condominium that would block your sunlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I get an odd vibe around graveyards
    Graveyards slightly freak me out for similar reasons I think.
    Especially big, active ones like Glasnevin cemetary... walking around seeing graves with kid's toys, like a teddy bear all mouldy and tattered from the elements... both a sad reminder of the grief and sentiment from the people he/she left behind and a grim metaphor of lost youth and decay. (sometimes I wish I had an emo fringe I could flick out of my eyes for after I write things like that)

The sheer number of graves too, when you're out in the middle of the place and you have graves around you in every direction as far as the eye can see... it feels a bit other-worldly and almost claustrophobic.
    I don't like stepping on graves either for some reason... yet it's almost impossible to avoid.

I don't know whether I have unresolved issues with my own mortality, or whether I've seen too many fúcked up horror films like Phantasm and Pet Cemetery as a young kid... probably both :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

The house I grew up in was right next to a pet cemetery. Never had a problem. Except for the ghostly wails and shadows of dead animals and Satanic sacrifices at night. And the time the neighbor tried burying his dead child there in the hopes that it would return from the dead.
    But aside from that, never had a problem.

Advertisement