Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Trigger Level Rigged ?

Options
  • 29-02-2004 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

At www.eircom.ie you can (supposedly) register your interest as part of the BB trigger programme.

I only found out about this a couple of weeks ago and looked up my exchange (Castlefinn, Co.Donegal) not really expecting any great level of interest. I did however expect at least one as I had registered my interest with Eircom ages ago.

Okay, I thought, it's a new online facility, probably need to register again, so I did.

The current level, two weeks later, however, is still zero. Hard enough for a little place like Castlefinn to get the required 245 under normal cicumstances, impossible if they don't update the figures!

Is this the usual Eircom incompetence, or are they rigging the results?

Can I complain to Comreg about this?

Martin Harran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

A couple of days ago, I got a response from Eircom regarding this:

"...the site is working correctly and we have received your vote and I think two others from Kinnegad. It was never envisioned at the time of the launch of the site that there would be immediate feedback as to the number of votes cast, however that information will be there we anticipate within a couple of weeks and it will be updated frequently thereafter...."

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

By delaying the updating of the figures Eircom has more control over the situation and will be able to direct the hitting of the trigger level to conform with their rollout plans.

It would be relatively easy for any competent programmer to devise a system which provides immeadiate feedback on the number of expressions of interest registered. But then competent and Eircom are not often seen in the same sentence,

M.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I notice we still haven't seen the trigger-level doodah Esat British Telecom boss Bill Murphy promised us, what was it, a year ago? Wouldn't that make Bill Murphy a big fat liar?

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Email Bill and ask. He does answer his emails you know. I don't think he reads this forum though his minions do. Hello minions !

[edit for spelling]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Eircom's "trigger level" is just a PR stunt, it is not based in reality in any way. They only put it up to shut people up. Once you understand that, you will understand why it is not being updated properly, why it is so hard to find, and why the triggers are totally unrealistic. I got that first hand from one of their employees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Waste of time complaining to Comreg then ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

It's not hard to find, it's on the home page.

It seems to be very useful marketing information for Eircom, so why would they ignore it? If there are a bunch of potential customers in some corner of the country, why not sell them what they want if it's relatively easy to provide? I appreciate by the same token that they should make sure the people who are connected to enabled exchanges can actually get the service, but it might be cheaper to roll out the back-end first and deal with line failures later. They do supposedly keep a database of line check failures to gauge interest.

Unless that trigger mechanism is regulated by ComReg, I doubt they give a toss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

They may not ignore it, but to put it another way, it does not do what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

i registeried and i registered on the government one...it will be interesting to see if we have a wide divergence as time progresses, i am sure they will have excuses..but it will be interesting...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Originally posted by Fallschirmjager
    i registeried and i registered on the government one...it will be interesting to see if we have a wide divergence as time progresses, i am sure they will have excuses..but it will be interesting...

Sorry for going OT, but where can I sign the Government one?

I only found out this week that Donegal Town has been upgraded to DSL and has been for quite some time :o

Pity they won't upgrade the Ballintra exchange :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by byte
    I only found out this week that Donegal Town has been upgraded to DSL and has been for quite some time :o

http://www.broadband.gov.ie/BBInfo/RegisterDemandWF.aspx

Vote Early and Vote Often

M

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

byte, posted the donegal town exchange being available on the broadband forum in last october.
    Still can't pass the line test waiting for the eircom escalations manager to get back to me (after emailing phil nolan) anyway ballintra's got plastic recycling instead allegedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I just registered my wish for Broadband in the Ballybofey/Stranorlar area of Donegal on Mucks Gov site link.

The site then very kindly informed me that a total of 2 have now !, registered interest in having Broadband in Ballybofey/Stranorlar :confused: .

Surely, this can not be correct ?...

I despair.

P. :ninja: :dunno:

Advertisement