Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTA Additional taxi enforcement going private

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

http://www.mytenders.ie/search/show/Search_View.aspx?id=APR406999.

NTA seeking tenders for a company to undertake extra enforcement with 5 officers initially invisaged.

(Job would be easy if the taxi app worked outdoors)

This may well put the cat among the Pigeons indeed.

Some months ago,I understand the topic of the NTA's budgetary constraints going forward was discussed at very high level.

One of the issues raised was the cost of the enforcement regieme vis-a-vis the vastly expaned requirement for it,with particular mention being made of the increasing levels of Garda concern,notably in the Dublin region,of the Taxi sector being unmonitored.

This news,confirms that account.

I rather suspect that this will see the (belated) beginning of an attempt by the NTA to recover the high-ground it gave away to the hard-chaws who now appear to run Dublin's Taxi Ranks to their own rules,rather than any the NTA may wish.

I would be very surprised if this development does not see some form of on-street confrontation,sooner rather than later,as much of the problem stems from a total lack of comprehension of it's own responsibilities by the NTA itself..

Interesting times ahead ? ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Not before time. They should also start off with 25 enforcement officers but maybe that would be too many?
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    I would be very surprised if this development does not see some form of on-street confrontation,sooner rather than later,as much of the problem stems from a total lack of comprehension of it's own responsibilities by the NTA itself..

You can be sure that these enforcement officers will be as polite and professional as the Clampers and will also document and record(possibly with personal cctv like train staff in the UK have) everything in case it is needed at a later court hearing.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Not before time. They should also start off with 25 enforcement officers but maybe that would be too many?

You can be sure that these enforcement officers will be as polite and professional as the Clampers and will also document and record(possibly with personal cctv like train staff in the UK have) everything in case it is needed at a later court hearing.

Will this be the Special Criminal Court,Foggy,cos I can't see the current Courts Service setup being able to cater for the numbers......:p

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Interesting alright....

The regulation of the industry as I see it is required, but the fundamentals- enough ranks in proper locations should have been addressed first, because what appears to be happening is a constant squeeze of ALL PSV operators (by the raising of the bar relating to standars licence fees, training etc) to get numbers down after deregulation.

Genuine operators should have little to fear though even though no one particularly wants someone looking over their shoulder all the time.

BTW we have 13000 enforcers in uniform already out there, why are they now officially being 'allowed' to all but ignore the industry.

Checking the database is not rocket science.
    Is this some kind of misguided PR stunt??

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Genuine operators should have little to fear though even though no one particularly wants someone looking over their shoulder all the time.
    In fairness, 5 officers isn't going to go very far across 33,717 drivers and 22,830 vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Victor wrote: »
    In fairness, 5 officers isn't going to go very far across 33,717 drivers and 22,830 vehicles.

In fairness again, almost all of these checks are done on taxi drivers with the exception of a few hackney's who are ranking up in the odd town.

Victor wrote: »

Ah....but even ONE of those 5,deployed to the Pedestrian Crossing at the bottom of Grafton Street would pay his own wages in 30 minutes,as opposed to endless Gardai waving their arms innefectually as they stroll by en-route to Kildare Street....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Ah....but even ONE of those 5,deployed to the Pedestrian Crossing at the bottom of Grafton Street would pay his own wages in 30 minutes,as opposed to endless Gardai waving their arms innefectually as they stroll by en-route to Kildare Street....:rolleyes:

And **** the rest of the country eh? Impressed as usual (not) with SmartAlec comments ( see what I did there )

BTW How come going from 9 officers to 5 is seen as about time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Spook_ie wrote: »
    And **** the rest of the country eh? Impressed as usual (not) with SmartAlec comments ( see what I did there )

Don't really know what you're on about there but it's an additional 5 officers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »

I'm sure the rest of the country will get it's attention in due course.....It's just this particular location is SO specific in terms of the breadth and scale of the many and varied laws,rules and regulations being broken.

Only yesterday,I watched as mechanical digger operated ever closer to a top-grade fully badged and carded omadán sitting almost in the roadworks hole....not a budge on our man...a REAL Pro....only moved when a tipper-truck started to reverse up to the digger,with the Tipper Driver quite rightly not going to bother about niceties such as how much a wing is for a maroon 06 Avensis.....:o

I may be mistook,but there's hardly the scope around the rest of the country for grandstanding on this scale...kinda spooky,sure enough ;)

Advertisement