Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transport to Ratoath

• 27-03-2013 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi

I live in the Dublin 8 now and thinking of moving out to Ratoath, for a more village life, i am from donegal and sick of the city life.

The only problem is i am not sure how i would get to work or how long it would take, i work in Charlemont Place, Dublin 2.

I was thinking that i could get the train into the docklands and then cycle to work, are u allowed to take a bike on to the train from M3 parkway stop to the docklands train station. If so how long does this journney take? or i seen u could get a train from CLONSILLA to DUBLIN Pearse so i would not need to take the bike on the train, how long would it take u to cycle from Ratoath to Clonsilla

How far is the M3 parkway train station away from Ratoath.

Or is there a bus that would go near Dublin 2, and if so how long does it take in bus.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Bus Eireann route 105 timetable to/from Ratoath is here:
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1264767578-105.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

M 3 station is about 6 miles from Ratoath but it's not the best road in the world for a cyclist to be on. Also, you won't be allowed to take your bike with you unless it's off peak hours so unless you have a car then the train option is not of much use for you. The 105 is probably your best bet here but it is going to be a good chunk of your day commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Thanks for that, yea the bus would not work as it takes a min of 1hr 15min and them times are never right and then another 15 min walk to work.

Do u know if there are buses that go from Ratoath to the M3 parkway train station, also do u know if the docklands station has the new bike lockers so i could lock my bike up safe as it is worth €800

Also does anyone know how long it would take to cycle from Ratoath to Clonsilla tain station

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Get bus eireann 103 from city centre

Delboy007 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, yea the bus would not work as it takes a min of 1hr 15min and them times are never right and then another 15 min walk to work.

Do u know if there are buses that go from Ratoath to the M3 parkway train station, also do u know if the docklands station has the new bike lockers so i could lock my bike up safe as it is worth €800

The 105 passes close enough to the station, if not stopping at the station but I'm sure somebody can clarify if it does or not. The thing is, you'd be as well to stay on the bus as to get off and get a train. Docklands has bike parking listed but you should ring them to find out more; 01 8286380

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭fullgas

The 105 passes close enough to the station, if not stopping at the station but I'm sure somebody can clarify if it does or not. The thing is, you'd be as well to stay on the bus as to get off and get a train. Docklands has bike parking listed but you should ring them to find out more; 01 8286380

The 105 does not pass close to M3 Parkway. It's a nightmare of a walk, also dangerous.

Also the 105 would also get stuck in Phibsboro every morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realistically, pick one of the towns that has a train station or a direct bus. Chopping and changing can be a bit mad.

Thanks for all the help, i think Ratoath might be just a bit too far out, castleknock, coolmine, clonsilla might be a better option. Just looking to rent 1st before we buy and there is no house for rent out there at all

fullgas wrote: »
    The 105 does not pass close to M3 Parkway. It's a nightmare of a walk, also dangerous.

Also the 105 would also get stuck in Phibsboro every morning.

Apologies on that. Thought it swung into the station before it hits the M 3 just after Fairyhouse Cross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Thanks for all the help, i think Ratoath might be just a bit too far out, castleknock, coolmine, clonsilla might be a better option. Just looking to rent 1st before we buy and there is no house for rent out there at all

None of them are exactly village-like or country-side ish.

• Advertisement

None of them are exactly village-like or country-side ish.

Ture but it would be alot closer to a village feel than dunblin 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

What about Dunboyne then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Ture but it would be alot closer to a village feel than dunblin 8

The 3 mentioned wouldn't, as they're essentially housing estates. Especially true for Clonsilla (1 pub) and Coolmine (no pubs). Castleknock station is beside Blanchardstown village which isn't going to feel much different to D8. Dunboyne does have a village feel to it, and is a village in its own right, but the train station isn't really convenient to most of the village.

Be careful what you wish for though. When you move out you give up a lot of stuff. And if you move out beyond transport facilities like the Nitelink you can forget having a night life etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Ah dunboyne train station is a few minutes from Main Street - not the M3 parkway one, the other one.

Also I think the 70n goes out there for nitelink.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭miguelk

Hi

I live in the Dublin 8 now and thinking of moving out to Ratoath, for a more village life, i am from donegal and sick of the city life.

The only problem is i am not sure how i would get to work or how long it would take, i work in Charlemont Place, Dublin 2.

I was thinking that i could get the train into the docklands and then cycle to work, are u allowed to take a bike on to the train from M3 parkway stop to the docklands train station. If so how long does this journney take? or i seen u could get a train from CLONSILLA to DUBLIN Pearse so i would not need to take the bike on the train, how long would it take u to cycle from Ratoath to Clonsilla

How far is the M3 parkway train station away from Ratoath.

Or is there a bus that would go near Dublin 2, and if so how long does it take in bus.

I do that commute daily.

I have a car though, a banger to get me from ratoath to the station and back.

Ratoath - M3 Parkway - 17 mins (to be on time)
    Train journey to dockands - 37
    Walk to work - 16 Mins (may be a little bit longer to your workplace)

So its an 1:10 - 1:15 minute commute in either direction. Yes, its a pain, but (depending on your circumstances, needs, lifestyle etc) its worth it. I would prefer the train than driving as you can kick back for a while, read, watch an episode of something etc. Much more comfort than the bus.

If you get the early train there/back there's usually room for a bike, not all of them have racks. You may have to stand with it in the doorway area if that was the case.

Its a decent place to live, its still a commuter town don't forget, with a large populaton increase compared to being a small village before the boom, but in general the estates are well laid out, there isn't any/much...em...scum bags out there and are plenty of clubs/sports/thing to do.

Blanchardstown isn't far away for shopping and there is a dunnes/tesco in ashbourne, and a supervalue in ratoath itself. Not a good place for night life but again you wouldn't be moving out here if that was your priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

I think Dunboyne for the win rather than Ratoath. The estates are five to ten mins walk to the railway station, some nice pubs and a couple of restaurants, and a far better laid out village than Ratoath which has an unfinished feel to it.

Advertisement