Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Subject Choice Dilemma

Options
  • 26-02-2015 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

So i have to choose my subjects and so far I have decided on

Biology
    Chemistry
    Accounting

and then I am stuck for my 4th choice which is between Spanish and Geography. I know for many courses and colleges you need a third language but I am aiming for high grades and I don't think I would be able to achieve this with spanish but I could do so for geography. I'm thinking of just doing OL Spanish grinds once a week just to pass it. Would this be too much of a hassle weekly or would it be ok to do???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

If you want high points, generally i wouldn't advise doing geography, it was one of my best JC subjects but its not my best LC subject by far! I got a B1 in my Christmas test and that's only a small bit of the big course so its only going to get harder for me to maintain that grade its loads of essays and regional geography is really waffley :( but anyway to the question only you really know if it'll be too much of a hassle for you to do grinds every week but people have done it and you could do decent grade in OL if you got an alright HL JC grade and do grinds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

So i have to choose my subjects and so far I have decided on

Biology
    Chemistry
    Accounting

and then I am stuck for my 4th choice which is between Spanish and Geography. I know for many courses and colleges you need a third language but I am aiming for high grades and I don't think I would be able to achieve this with spanish but I could do so for geography. I'm thinking of just doing OL Spanish grinds once a week just to pass it. Would this be too much of a hassle weekly or would it be ok to do???
    For any of the NUI colleges (UCD, UCC, Maynooth, NUIG), or at least for the majority of courses at these colleges, you will need a third language, and it would be quite foolish not to include one at this stage on the basis that you won't want to go to any of those colleges.

OL Spanish will satisfy the requirement, sure, but why decide now that you're doing OL? Assuming that you did Spanish at JC and got on reasonably ok, why not at least set your sights higher initially, and see how it goes? You can always drop down later if you find that you're struggling and it's taking too much time from subjects you're better at.

There are lots of ways you can improve your Spanish outside of school as well without it feeling like heavy work; websites / online, plenty of Spanish speakers around, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I think i might stick with Spanish in school and leave out Geography. I got an B in HL JC in spanish and i'm not terrible but have kind of lost interest in it. But I'll try hard now to pick myself back up in it and remorse myself in the language

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think i might stick with Spanish in school and leave out Geography. I got an B in HL JC in spanish and i'm not terrible but have kind of lost interest in it. But I'll try hard now to pick myself back up in it and remorse myself in the language
    That sounds like a better plan tbh, and I'm sure that if you immerse yourself in the language you'll have no remorse! ;)

I'm assuming that you're in TY at the moment, so why not start getting back into it now?

I don't mean start with textbooks or anything heavy like that, but maybe with sites on music, sports, etc. intended for Spanish people your age. Have a look at Duolingo and sites like that as well maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

That sounds like a better plan tbh, and I'm sure that if you immerse yourself in the language you'll have no remorse! ;)

I'm assuming that you're in TY at the moment, so why not start getting back into it now?

I don't mean start with textbooks or anything heavy like that, but maybe with sites on music, sports, etc. intended for Spanish people your age. Have a look at Duolingo and sites like that as well maybe.

Lol, how did i mess that up :p

Thanks for the positive advice. I might start watching a couple videos every once in a while in spanish and maybe bring my pasttimes into it as well like watching spanish football games in the language as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 EmmausCentre

Wish I had seem this last week! My son has just selected geography as his fourth option, he's not the fastest writer so essays are a disaster. He put down business studies as a fifth option in case fourth wasn't available so hopefully he will get that instead. Unless you really know what you want to do in college this is a really hard decision and JC success doesn't necessarily translate into LC success.

Advertisement