Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Wi-Fi on the train

Options
  • 27-04-2013 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

Last weekend I travelled from Dublin to Belfast on the Enterprise. I'm with 3 for my mobile phone service.

While the 3G coverage was patchy on my phone, from Malahide to Newry there was no coverage at all using the on board wifi. Even in Drogheda and Dundalk.

Why is the wifi in Irish Rail so bad? Considering they are using 3, I would expect with antennae on the roof of the carriage etc they would get better coverage than I do, but it's not the case.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

n97 mini wrote: »
    Last weekend I travelled from Dublin to Belfast on the Enterprise. I'm with 3 for my mobile phone service.

While the 3G coverage was patchy on my phone, from Malahide to Newry there was no coverage at all using the on board wifi. Even in Drogheda and Dundalk.

Why is the wifi in Irish Rail so bad? Considering they are using 3, I would expect with antennae on the roof of the carriage etc they would get better coverage than I do, but it's not the case.

Irish Rail and NI Railways can do better than that on the Enterprise, the only caveat I would add is that a significant part of the railway between Dundalk and Newry is in cutting and consequently sheltered fully or partially from any mobile network signal. Big chunks of the line south of the border also have had very poor mobile coverage for as long as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

n97 mini wrote: »

Irish Rail are not operating wifi on entreprise service, its NI railways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

It's rubbish on the DART and intercity service too. I've tried it three times and never got decent service.
    Twice the speeds were so slow as to be unusable, and the third time I couldn't get an ip. All in the vicinity of Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Barry Kenny from IE was on the radio in the last week or so and was asked about the poor wifi coverage on some parts of the rail system. He acknowledged the problem and said it was something they were very aware of and the network providers were looking at ways of sorting it out. Unfortunately some places nothing much could be done due to the geography of that particular location but other black spots could definitely be improved. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

What I don't understand is that my phone, inside the carriage, seemed to get a better signal than the onboard system, and both of us on 3.

It's almost as if someone forgot to plug in the antennas to the onboard system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

It's rubbish on the DART and intercity service too. I've tried it three times and never got decent service.
    Twice the speeds were so slow as to be unusable, and the third time I couldn't get an ip. All in the vicinity of Connolly.

Not sure what it is like in Connolly but Dalkey to Pearse works a treat. Most days I am working on the DART and the speeds are fine for what they're designed for. Wouldn't be streaming videos but for emails and web browsing its perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

I have used wifi on the Galway twice and found it ok . Ditto on the cork line, on the enterprise however the service is abysmal...non functioning south of portadown , the customer service provided by nomad is utterly useless

Coaches on the enterprise are maintained by NIR.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Similar story over here on VIA Rail Canada - they thought it would be a profit centre but quickly realised people wouldn't pay for crap. Now it's free but streaming sites are blocked to give a fairer distribution of bandwidth. Wifi in VIA stations is much better because they have a hard-line backhaul rather than relying on mobile or satellite.

Advertisement