Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer Players Don't Try Hard Enough

• 24-08-2008 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Having watched the olympics, I have realised that - when watching soccer - it is clear to me that the majority of soccer players don't try hard enough (at least, nowhere near as much as their olympian counterparts). Has anyone else come to this realisation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Kevster wrote: »
    Having watched the olympics, I have realised that - when watching soccer - it is clear to me that the majority of soccer players don't try hard enough (at least, nowhere near as much as their olympian counterparts). Has anyone else come to this realisation?

Olympians compete once every four years. Soccer players play every week at least. can't compare really.

(well that's an exaggeration, but the point is the same. they don't compete near as frequently and have much more time to prepare for each event/meet.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Ah, but the olympians are inevitably training each week on their own accord, whilst also working full-time jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Ah, but the olympians are inevitably training each week on their own accord, whilst also working full-time jobs.

yea i'm sure Bolt is flipping Burgers in McDonalds up until this month :rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yep Usain Bolt was packing my bag in Tesco tonight.

beat ya to it ste ;)

great minds

• Advertisement

Hmm, Bolt must be super-human to work in both Tesco and McDonald's. Maybe it's the grease that gets splashed onto his face while flipping burgers that makes him super-slick on the running track; and perhaps it's those quality own-brand Tesco products that fuels his super-human running ability.

Made-up examples aside, does it not bother ye that soccer players are lazy ****s? Hell, even Roy Keane was alluding to this point two or three days ago (regarding Sunderland's fringe players).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

That Ronaldinho fella is some olympian all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

bohsman wrote: »
    That Ronaldinho fella is some olympian all right.
    :D

The quality of football was very poor tbh. Most of the players looked like they wanted to be elsewhere. Nobody really cares who wins it. It's just a distraction from the serious business of the domestic leagues.

Now, of course, when I said "olympian counterparts", I was referring to those olympians involved in sports other than olympic soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

The public in brazil were not happy with their team. The prime minister swore them off

• Advertisement

south americans take the olympic soccer very seriously.

the strenght of teams Brazil and South America send proves that.

Think i read somewhere something along the lines of they view it as near as important as the World Cup as it was the first world wide event where different countries were able to play against each other, pre-dating the world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

And Bolt clearly wasnt trying very hard in the 100m, did just enough and then sat back on his lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr Alan wrote: »
    south americans take the olympic soccer very seriously.

the strenght of teams Brazil and South America send proves that.

Think i read somewhere something along the lines of they view it as near as important as the World Cup as it was the first world wide event where different countries were able to play against each other, pre-dating the world cup

Phil McNulty blog on the BBC prior to the tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,982 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

To be fair though, it is true. Even when you just hear them talking about their training regimes, it often eclipses what footballers do. Now i know its different, as footballs simply couldn't take those regimes and still compete at that high a level at least once, and often twice a week. This is where it comes from i think, all these other athlete's are competeing in moments, big life changing moments. Make or break moments where if they fuk up or excell it WILL change the course of their life. They have their regular meets during the year which are essentially training excercises themselves, but the big ones, the world championships, the olympics, club footballers just dont have an equivilent. Athletes live for these few oppertunities they get, while footballers go through hundreds of games. Footballers go out, and win or lose they still have a job, still get pretty much the same money. No major hassle. Being in the world cup is the only real equivilent, and its also where we often DO see playerss step up. Even a champions league final, as a rule the players next season will be largely the same whether they win or lose.

Advertisement