Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

my3cents wrote: »
    Don't think it works like that? If for example you buy stuff from Amazon.co.uk then they charge the relevant Irish VAT rate and not the UK rate so at the checkout the price goes up. I think anyone selling more than €35k worth of goods in Ireland needs to register and pay VAT here no matter what carrier is bringing it in?

If you order from amazon.co.uk and get it delivered to the parcel motel in the north then you pay the UK vat rate and then a small delivery charge to get it to the south.
    So, it seems that the coal company is doing something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Is the black diamond coal they sell suitable for a stanley erin stove? It's described as semi-smokeless. I don't know much about coal but want to get a ton as a gift for someone.

Hey I have burned my way through 2 pallets of the polish in my Erin ( with back boiler ) and am 100% happy with it, i will be ordering another pallet tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

pm. wrote: »
    Hey I have burned my way through 2 pallets of the polish in my Erin ( with back boiler ) and am 100% happy with it, i will be ordering another pallet tomorrow

You think it's doing the stove any harm or producing a lot more soot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Read through the whole thread and the Polish coal at 8 euro is great value. But one post seemed to suggest not perfect for an open fire: more soot, more ash and spitting out bits of hot coal.

Can anyone suggest an alternative from Coal Warehouse for an open fire? Would even pay a bit extra for a good smokeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

odckdo wrote: »
    Read through the whole thread and the Polish coal at 8 euro is great value. But one post seemed to suggest not perfect for an open fire: more soot, more ash and spitting out bits of hot coal.

Can anyone suggest an alternative from Coal Warehouse for an open fire? Would even pay a bit extra for a good smokeless?

Despite all that it gave out great heat so id be happy to buy it again, I learned to leave the fireguard up for couple of minutes till the coal got going then it was fine.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Despite all that it gave out great heat so id be happy to buy it again, I learned to leave the fireguard up for couple of minutes till the coal got going then it was fine.

Sound - might take the plunge.

Tied to smokeless in my area at 18 euro a go. So great savings on a pallet of that Polish stuff. Just need to get the chimney cleaned an extra time over winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

You think it's doing the stove any harm or producing a lot more soot?

I don't think it's doing any harm at all. If you leave the top vent open a little bit that should keep the glass clear . Imo it's not producing any more soot than the coal I was paying 16.50 a bag for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

I got a pallet in January and was very happy with it (Charnwood stove), going again this winter.

I got some slack (didn't use much but handy to have), singles (handy for fire ticking over and delivering heat for the UFH, but very smokey), Polish and ovoids.

What's the difference between the Polish coal and doubles?

Was thinking I'd go, 5 each of the singles, doubles and BD and 10 ovoids.

Any of these worth trying

COUNTRYBLEND - €12 PER BAG
    CLEARFLAME - €12 PER BAG
    MASTERFLAME - €11.50 PER BAG

FN

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

funnyname wrote: »

Any of these worth trying

COUNTRYBLEND - €12 PER BAG
    CLEARFLAME - €12 PER BAG
    MASTERFLAME - €11.50 PER BAG

FN

Some of them may not be suitable for stoves. If you have a read back through the thread, Petcoke has been mentioned as something that can damage stoves due to high heat output.

I put in an order myself earlier. All very straight forward. Rang Ace booked pallet. CW rang me 10min later. No ovoids in stock until Wednesday. So I'll get mine next Thursday or Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I ordered the Premium Polish this week for burning in an open fire. It's what they recommended and said it was worth the extra €2 a bag.
    I threw four bags into the coal bunker - mostly medium sized pieces with a few smaller bits and little or no dust. So far all I can say us that it lights easily, burns really well with no spitting and produces no more ash than usual. It also gives out great heat. I'd definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Lumi wrote: »
    I ordered the Premium Polish this week for burning in an open fire. It's what they recommended and said it was worth the extra €2 a bag.
    I threw four bags into the coal bunker - mostly medium sized pieces with a few smaller bits and little or no dust. So far all I can say us that it lights easily, burns really well with no spitting and produces no more ash than usual. It also gives out great heat. I'd definitely recommend it.

Have you used the cheaper polish coal to compare this review against? Im going to order a pallet for a stove,id like to order the coal that wont leave my stove glass filthy. Ovoids appear the coal of choice, would you say this might also be suitable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

theduffer wrote: »
    Have you used the cheaper polish coal to compare this review against? Im going to order a pallet for a stove,id like to order the coal that wont leave my stove glass filthy. Ovoids appear the coal of choice, would you say this might also be suitable?

No, I have used the cheaper Polish coal - sorry. I went for a mixed pallet of the Premium Polish & Ovoids for burning in an open fire so I can't really advise re using in a stove. We're burning some of the ovoids tonight - also good but I reckon we'll stick to just the premium for our next order.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

theduffer wrote: »

I use the coal in a stove with timber,great heat but it will leave the glass very dirty plus there's a fine art in getting the balance right or you'll end up with a stove full of smoke and tar.

Ovoids might be your best bet especially if you don't have a supply of dried firewood to burn with the coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi all looking for some info if you can help.

Have been using a stove but moving to a house with open fire and looking for coal and also firewood(logs) in wicklow.

We were using coal nuggets but were expensive at €16 or €17 a 40kg bag.

Worth reading the thread to get different opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

Quick question regarding delivery. Do they ring for directions when delivering or do they have sat nav? Only asking as I'm in a very rural area and I work during the week and can't answer my phone during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Rega wrote: »
    Quick question regarding delivery. Do they ring for directions when delivering or do they have sat nav? Only asking as I'm in a very rural area and I work during the week so can't answer my phone during the day.

The courier that delivered mine was actually local.I'm sure you could pre-arrange a certain delivery day or arrange for the courier to ring you at lunch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

zerks wrote: »
    The courier that delivered mine was actually local.I'm sure you could pre-arrange a certain delivery day or arrange for the courier to ring you at lunch time.

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it.

Rega wrote: »
    Quick question regarding delivery. Do they ring for directions when delivering or do they have sat nav? Only asking as I'm in a very rural area and I work during the week and can't answer my phone during the day.

I gave them my eircode, which is accurate. So worth checking that out yourself.

Also Ace asked did I have any special requirements. You could let them know u can't be contacted.

• Advertisement

Lumi wrote: »

Trying to make my mind up between the ordinary Polish at 8 euro or the Premium Polish at 10 euro for an open fire.

One post mentioned that the regular stuff produced a lot of soot. I get my chimney cleaned once a year but with this extra soot I might have to do an another sweep.

What's the Premium Polish like for soot? Is it less than the regular Polish and would one sweep do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

Trying to make my mind up between the ordinary Polish at 8 euro or the Premium Polish at 10 euro for an open fire.

One post mentioned that the regular stuff produced a lot of soot. I get my chimney cleaned once a year but with this extra soot I might have to do an another sweep.

What's the Premium Polish like for soot? Is it less than the regular Polish and would one sweep do?

crikey, getting your knickers in a twist over E2 a bag, its still dirt cheap, buy both and try them out.
    Never mind the coal, get the ovoids at E12, they burn great, plenty of heat and little ash.

crikey, getting your knickers in a twist over E2 a bag, its still dirt cheap, buy both and try them out.
    Never mind the coal, get the ovoids at E12, they burn great, plenty of heat and little ash.

Just weighing up the options and trying to keep the costs down if I can. A pallet would do my open fire for the season so if I am only going to save 100 euro overall then its not worth it. Might as well order the branded coal locally.

(Those ovoids are 12 euro - are they smokeless? Using smokeless recently burnt out a new grate.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

Just weighing up the options and trying to keep the costs down if I can. A pallet would do my open fire for the season so if I am only going to save 100 euro overall then its not worth it. Might as well order the branded coal locally.

(Those ovoids are 12 euro - are they smokeless? Using smokeless recently burnt out a new grate.)

The Oviods are the Business, they cost a little bit more but burn longer, put out crazy heat and leave very little ash.
    Buy a bag of Ovoids to try out against the cheap Polish coal and report back in a month, you will recommend the Ovoids over the Coal.
    The Polish coal smells bad when you put it on the fire, it will stink out the house on a open fire, with a stove you have to put it on quick and shut the door fast to stop it stinking out the house, once it is burning it don't smell, but until its blazing it is rotten.
    The Ovoids are 100% better, well worth the premium.

Ha ha appropriate user name !!

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

I started this thread, so I can say what I like!

Mary had a little lamb
    It's fleece was.......,

I've just ordered another pallet. Bring on the frost & snow

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Is there a euro price list online? Cant seem to find it.

Is there a euro price list online? Cant seem to find it.

It should be on 'Coal Warehouse' Facebook page.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Am I getting it right? 40kg Polish Coal for €8? Would this be ok for a stove?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

beertons wrote: »
    Am I getting it right? 40kg Polish Coal for €8? Would this be ok for a stove?

Read the thread !!!!!

Advertisement