Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Multicultural schools and EAL

• 22-04-2014 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hello all,

I'll be moving back to Ireland in the summer and will be looking for a primary job. I've been away for a number of years and have predominately been in schools with a high proportion of EAL learners and have had a very high percentage of migrant families. This is something that I really enjoy. I am most likely going to be looking for work in Dublin. Could anyone give me areas that I am likely to find these schools? I don't want to work in a school where all the families come from tradition irish home.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Very few schools anywhere in Ireland have families that now come from "traditional Irish "backgrounds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mind you. don't expect there to an proper EAL provision wherever you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brónaim cád??

I'm not sure about that. My niceses and nephews schools are and I would say so too are the majority in rural Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Dublin 15 has the highest proportion of "insert politically correct term" children.

Thank you, I'll have a look at Dublin 15!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

What about the Muslim school on the Navan road in Dublin. Plenty of "EAL" students there.
    I don't know if Jobs are as plentiful as to be able to pick a school to work in though, lots of competition for positions at the moment so you might be lucky to get a school with Traditional irish families in it.

I understand that. Obviously I wouldn't refuse a job if offered, I was just talking about my preference.

Dublin will be subject to panel rules like alll places, but with the cuts in EAL/SEN there will be a large no. on the panel. It won't be easy to get even subbing there .Don't mean to be bleak, just honest.

I have heard a variety of comments regarding subbing in Ireland, many have said that there is a total lack of any jobs where also the same number have said things have totally picked up and subbing jobs are no problem to find! I honestly have no idea how a panel works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

It's not a subbing panel. "The" panel is a list of teachers who have built up three years temporary service or equivalent. These teachers must be offered permanent jobs before they are advertised. Permanent jobs cannot be filled until these teachers have jobs. Temporary jobs may also be held for these teachers, which means they can't be advertised until the panel is empty. In essence, it makes applying for primary jobs limiting, and you may need to rely on subbing. ,

• Advertisement

The panel means, put VERY simplistically, that if a teacher loses a job due to numbers in the school going down , SEN/EAL cuts etc. that teacher is put on a redeployment panel.Those teachers must be offered any vacancy in a certain radius, before the job can be opened to anyone NOT on the panel. Different groups have different panels, so the Catholic diocese would have one for their schools, COI another and ET another and so on. There are two jobs, yes JUST two on educationposts for Dublin at present.

That seems almost communist. Why should someone be offered a job just because they have been waiting three years? Obviously the most capable candidate should be offered the job.

That seems almost communist. Why should someone be offered a job just because they have been waiting three years? Obviously the most capable candidate should be offered the job.
    This is why at one time, panels took a while to clear, as schools tried to wait out the panel to fill the gap with their preferred candidate,now at least , the playing field is slightly more level for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I don't know if Jobs are like hen's teeth as plentiful as to be able to pick a school to work in though, lots of competition for positions at the moment so you might be lucky to get a school with Traditional irish families in it.

FYP

Again, I know this. I was just inquiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Sorry, if I appeared to be hammering home the point, but I don't know if there was ever a time when you could chose what school you worked in.

To be more constructive I'd offer the following advice:

Apply for every job going.
    Do a CV drop, in person, in as many schools as you can, try to get speaking to the principal, emphasise your experience and that you are available at short notice for subbing.
    Sign up to text-a-sub to improve your chances of getting a few days and be willing to travel to do subbing.
    Brush up on your Irish in case of interviews.

Advertisement