Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water damaged MBA

Options
  • 21-04-2014 9:43pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just spilt a drink on my MBA. What are my options? It was on when I spilt it and turned off straight away

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Did you spill it on the keyboard or outer case?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Keyboard

Well general advice would be to leave the machine be for a significant period of time to dry out. At least 48 hours imo. Obviously don't try to remove parts or disassemble as you can void the warranty. Turn it back on after 48 hours and hopefully it'll be fully functioning but alas you must be patient. The longer you wait until it's dry the better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Have it in a room with the tumble dryer. Hopefully it's ok

If you immediately shut it down after the spillage that was the correct thing to do. Water shouldn't take too long to evaporate either and hopefully you won't have to replace any parts.

• Advertisement

Passenger wrote: »
    If you immediately shut it down after the spillage that was the correct thing to do. Water shouldn't take too long to evaporate either and hopefully you won't have to replace any parts.

I didn't shut it down. It shut its self down after the spill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

godtabh wrote: »
    I didn't shut it down. It shut its self down after the spill

Not looking so good, then.

Not looking so good, then.

Yeah I assumed that. Expensive mistake!

All you can do is leave it to dry, in a hot press or similar. Try to "hang it" so liquid can exit as it entered from the keyboard. Leave for a few days and hope for the best.
    Not too optimistic though, you can't remove the battery and as you said, it's already shut itself down.

Rang the insurance company and its covered under accidental damage cover. Its actually a MBP (typo in the title). Its a late 2010 with 2.3gh, 16gb ram and 256 ssd. Just hope the replace like with like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

Did that with my Vaio last year, spilt coffee over the keyboard.

It did the same as yours - turned itself off and played dead for a few days. I gave it to a techy mate who opened it up for me. It was chock full of sticky coffee dust bunnies and general mank. Nothing he could really do but after he put it back together he tried the power button and lo and behold it booted up.

So, I took it to a computer repair place and was charged 150 quid (!) for an internal clean and an isopropyl alcohol bath for the motherboard, came back smelling fresh and working perfectly.

Still working absolutely fine to this day...only thing I lost were the track-pad left and right buttons, but no great loss..(I use a mouse anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Rang the insurance company and its covered under accidental damage cover. Its actually a MBP (typo in the title). Its a late 2010 with 2.3gh, 16gb ram and 256 ssd. Just hope the replace like with like.

Had you it insured under the house insurance or separate insurance?

Just wondering as it's impossible to get aftermarket insurance for a laptop that costs more than 1k!

Elessar wrote: »
    Had you it insured under the house insurance or separate insurance?

Just wondering as it's impossible to get aftermarket insurance for a laptop that costs more than 1k!

Paid extra for accidental damage cover on the house insurance. Have a toddler so thought it would come in handy. Can't blame this on him though!

Insurance company have come back to me and agreed its beyond economical repair. They have offered me a cash settlement.

I have the choice of models

Either the 13-inch: 2.6GHz with Retina display or 15-inch: 2.0GHz with Retina display (and I'd cover the shortfall).

If I went with the 13 inch I'd also look to get this this or something similar.

What would you go for?

I like the 13 inch I had but found the screen size small. Worried about the portability of the 15inch (even though it doesnt go far!)

I guess it all depends on your circumstances, job etc.

Down the years, I have had at some stage a 13", 15" and 17" Macbook Pro's
    Thought the 13" too small, the 17" too big and you guessed it - the 15" just right.

That said, last time when "upgradeitis" hit, given the high prices of the Macbook Pro and given that it would be plugged in at home 99.99% of the time, I decided to change strategy and bought an iMac 21" for at home and a little 11.6" Macbook Air for travel.
    I know it hasn't Retina, but the specs of both are fine for me.The combined price was not that much more than the Macbook Pro on it's own and I'm very happy with the outcome.

At the moment I find the 13'' to small for documents. Wouldn't be in a position to get MBA (dont really like them) and an iMac.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

At the moment I find the 13'' to small for documents. Wouldn't be in a position to get MBA (dont really like them) and an iMac.

And a MBA refresh due tonight and all!

And a MBA refresh due tonight and all!

Where did you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Where did you see that?

It was all over the usual Apple blogs. Apparently they're just bumped processors though. Check macrumors or 9to5mac.

Gona go with the base 15. Just found out I can get it through the apple epp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

its not really the water in most cases - its the mineral deposits in the water that do not dissolve that corrodes components

Up and running on a new 15'' MBP now. Thanks for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Up and running on a new 15'' MBP now. Thanks for all the help

Well wear! Enjoy the extra screen real estate.

Advertisement