Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Professional Development in Ireland

• 18-04-2014 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

I've been teaching in the Middle East for the past few years, and there's been a significant emphasis on teacher development and training. There's a mandatory requirement that all teachers do 30 hours of PD each year. This is organised by Western educational authorities (universities etc) and delivered in each school be a nominated co-ordinator. As many of the non-Western teachers haven't been trained to the same standards as their Western colleagues, the training can be pretty basic- differentiation etc. However, there have been efforts made to organise workshops with international experts, and these have been quite worthwhile. This past week I attended two day long courses in reading and writing, and was impressed by both. Altogether, I've been struck by the stress placed in teacher development, even if the practical side doesn't always live up to the theory.

My question is- is there such an emphasis placed on continuing professional development in Ireland? I don't have much teaching experience in Ireland as I was forced to seek employment abroad almost immediately after I qualified. In the limited time I spent in schools, I experienced very little in the way of PDs or workshops, and I was sometimes struck by some teachers who had been bypassed by certain developments in pedagogy. For example, I ue Powerpoints in class quite a bit, and one day a teacher asked me what they were, and how could she use them. This lady never used ICT in the classroom, not because she didn't see the value of it, but because she didn't feel confident in doing so. And she was in her mid-40s.

I know there are in-service training days, and I suppose what I'd like to know if they are a) useful and b) whether they are part of a system of continuous, practical professional development in Ireland?

On a ore individual level, what's your experience of professional development in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I've had a good year of CPD.
    I've done:
    18 hours of a middle leadership course
    2 x Project Maths Workshops
    10 hours of Inquiry Based Learning approach to science teaching
    And I'm booked in for a
    2 day chemistry course in June.

CPD is there if you go looking for it

BUT

It's not recognized as part of your 33 Croke Park hours nor is it properly recorded or appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Inspector it can be recognised as part of CPD but management have to agree to it. We got some very small recognition of it this year (I think a couple of hours). It was brought up by a colleague at the staff meeting at the end of last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I've had a good year of CPD.
    I've done:
    18 hours of a middle leadership course
    2 x Project Maths Workshops
    10 hours of Inquiry Based Learning approach to science teaching
    And I'm booked in for a
    2 day chemistry course in June.

CPD is there if you go looking for it

BUT

It's not recognized as part of your 33 Croke Park hours nor is it properly recorded or appreciated

Thanks for that. Did you have to seek out those opportunities yourself? Were they outside school hours?

What exactly do the Croke Park hours cover?

Is there mandatory PD and what does it look like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Every NQT has to attend a mandatory 20 hours of CPD in order to meet Teaching Council regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Every NQT has to attend a mandatory 20 hours of CPD in order to meet Teaching Council regulations.

I'm asking more about continuous professional development. CPD for NQTs is all well and good, but surely NQTs are the least in need of PD having spent a least a year receiving such instruction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Einhard wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Did you have to seek out those opportunities yourself? Were they outside school hours?

What exactly do the Croke Park hours cover?

Is there mandatory PD and what does it look like?

The school trustees organised the leadership course - outside of school
    The IBL was organised by DCU and advertised - outside of school
    The chemistry course is organised by the Royal Society for Chem and is in June and outside of school.

Croke Park hours are used for PT meetings, staff meetings, dept meetings etc.

I hear there is some movement in Croke park hours being used for CPD which I would love.
    I'll have done over 40 hours CPD by the end of June.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

CPD will be a condition of continuing to be on the Teaching Council register before long.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

I went to Gaeilge inservice over the last few years and they were outstanding. Totally changed my approach to teaching the subject. Better than anything I had ever covered in College. All Irish teachers in my school attended. They were during school time and cover was provided.

This year, the Irish courses have been taking place after school so now nobody in our school goes [myself included] as lots of evenings are now already gone on Croke park and the courses don't count towards Croke park hours.

I pity the NQTs who have to attend maybe 8 sessions. My understanding is that it is absolutely pointless but its something positive that the teaching council can claim they are doing.

I also attend project maths inservice. They are of a high quality but as I haven't been teaching maths this year I haven't got to use the material covered but they were good courses.

My understanding is that The tc will be requiring us to do cpd in the future to maintain our registration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭2011abc

CPD will be a condition of continuing to be on the Teaching Council register before long.

Of course they will... during OUR time at OUR expense ....More 'jobs for the boys' being paid for by us .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

I've done the gaeilge inservice days and attended a geography conference as well. To further up skill myself I have done a diploma in adolescent counselling and other bits here and there. You'd be forever upskilling just to tick the next box!

• Advertisement
Advertisement