Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pro or Air?

• 12-04-2014 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭

I want to but a good laptop for once and I don't know which of these to go for.
    I don't need any special features such as gaming, video editing or anything. Just a good Laptop that won't cause problems.
    People I've spoken to me are telling me to go with the Air but anyone I know has the Pro whip hitch I really like the look of but I've been advised that the Pro is more portable for me as I travel a lot.
    Anyone got any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Having owned both, if you don't need extra power etc, pointless getting a pro unless you've money to burn, it would be an expensive web browser. I have a 2013 i5 13" Air that does some heavy lifting for me, (virtualization testing) its ideal. So it is more then capable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I assume you mean the Retina MacBook Pro. The non-Retina Pro is next on Apple's chopping block.

If it were me and I were using it as a primary machine, I’d get the Retina Pro. The Air is more portable though and is probably good enough for most tasks. It’s due a redesign shortly, so you might want to consider waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The Retina Pro is a little more then I want to spend. The shop inwas in.tried to sell it to me by saying a pro will last longer than the air.
    Im.tempted to go for the Pro without retina although i know the air us probably adequate for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

If you travel a lot and don't need a lot of computing power or to be able to do DIY hardware updates go for the air. It's significantly lighter, battery life is better (if you forget charger) and is a bit more compact (for fitting into luggage).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Do a search on here, its asked regularly and people have given loads of opinions on both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Have a macbook air 4 or 5 years now. Never a problem with it and nice and light for travelling too. But might be worth your while waiting for the newer one to come out as previous poster suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Retina pro. Fantastic machine.

Will do a search.
    The girl in the shop said that you can get up to 10 years out of a Pro but a bit less than that from an Air. Is that true or was she just trying to sell me the more expensive machine?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Will do a search.
    The girl in the shop said that you can get up to 10 years out of a Pro but a bit less than that from an Air. Is that true or was she just trying to sell me the more expensive machine?

She was talking nonsense. Either machine could fail after 4 years. Or could keep going for a lot longer. It’s luck. Either way, with no software support and limited if any upgradability, they’d both be totally antiquated after 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

5 years is a reasonable life span for a fully loaded Mac, I reckon.

Until recently, I would always recommend the 13" MBA over all else, but I've decided my next machine will be a 13" rMBP. I think they're at a point now where they're almost as thin, the batter lasts almost as long and they have a good bit more grunt than the Air.

Depends on your usage of course!

• Advertisement

Just to elaborate, I was in a similar position. I went for the retina Macbook pro, mainly for the screen. The screen is far higher resolution and is really really great to look at. The difference in price isn't huge, and the new retina pro is very compact and light. The air is also a considerably older model.

Both great machines, but by far the best bang for buck Mac laptop at the moment is the 13" retina Macbook air with 8GB of ram and a 256SSD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I have a 2013 Air with 8GB of ram. There great computers fantastic battery life and runs my VM fine although a bit more power would be great. Im planning on going to a retina in september to get a better screen but also I will get a bigger drive, the stock 120GB SSD is not big high enough imo.

If your going to be doing a fair amount of video work I would definitely go for the retina to save time in the long run waiting for exports.

No I will only be using it for general day to day things so need no special features.

but by far the best bang for buck Mac laptop at the moment is the 13" retina Macbook air with 8GB of ram and a 256SSD.

There is no retina air model, typo perhaps :)

Is the 1.35ghz processor enough in the Air? My Packard bell has 2.00 ghz so that's a good drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I don't think you'd notice it that much to be honest. It's more about disk speed and RAM.

Read the performance section here of this review to understand while having a low looking clock speed, the mac air is far from slow.

Note integrated intel HD 5000 graphics,
    faster I/O,
    PCIe storage, ...the ssd is actually plugged hard into the motherboard, no cable bottleneck... the air is faster then the latest retina pro

All these make for a fast machine and allow the clock speed to run what appears to be low, all this gives super performance and very very long battery life.

Stuxnet wrote: »
    There is no retina air model, typo perhaps :)

:eek:

Indeed! The Retina Pro.
    Read the performance section here of this review to understand while having a low looking clock speed, the mac air is far from slow.

faster I/O,
    PCIe storage, ...the ssd is actually plugged hard into the motherboard, no cable bottleneck... the air is faster then the latest retina pro

All these make for a fast machine and allow the clock speed to run what appears to be low, all this gives super performance and very very long battery life.

How is the air faster than the latest retina pro?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Is the 1.35ghz processor enough in the Air? My Packard bell has 2.00 ghz so that's a good drop.

Clock speed alone is not a good measure of performance. FLOPS would be better as you're doing more with each clock cycle as the transistor count is higher and the architecture is more advanced.

faster I/O,

That review is very informative.
    My gut feeling is that the 2013 Air is sufficient for me. I relay like the look of the Pro Retina but it's another €200 which I can't really see a point in spending.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Then get the Air, Pro would be "wasted" on you!

That's what im thinking. I prefer the look of the Pro.but the Air suits me better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

go air it will do you fine, if it does me for college work and running VM's it will do you just fine

Go pro! The screen is worth €200! Buy it online using the education discount and save 8%...

Bought the Pro Retina! Only because I got the 10% education discount.

Good choice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Get the Pro. It's just a beautiful machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

I just got a 15" Macbook Pro Retina last week and my word.....it is stunning.

Got it yesterday. Mostly love it so far.
    One thing I wasn't aware of is it has no ethernet port. Thats something I need so will have to buy a separate adapter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

MBA are due a refresh tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

MBA are due a refresh tonight.

Rumoured not to be a significant upgrade though. Spec bump I guess. Would be far more interested in this supposed 12" retina version.

I really like it but using a non windows machine for the first time is a challenge. Had to spend €29 on an Ethernet port too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Xpro

I really like it but using a non windows machine for the first time is a challenge. Had to spend €29 on an Ethernet port too.

Give it a while. Once you go mac you don't go back:D

They are fantastic machines tho, I'm very happy with mine.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

After getting famailar with all the gestures and nifty features like multiple desktops and the excellent window management going back to Windows will feel absolutely claustrophobic.

Advertisement