Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Past (Asghar Farhadi - director of A Separation)

Options
  • 27-03-2014 9:05pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Out tomorrow:

The genuinely great Asghar Farhadi continues to do no wrong with this intense and engrossing family melodrama. He can take a very familiar situation - in this case a man (Ali Mosaffa) visiting his soon to be ex-wife (Bernice Bejo) to sign divorce papers - and create an insightful and unforgettable drama out of it. IMO it fully maintains the high quality mark set by A Separation and About Elly - perhaps lacking the newness of seeing one of his works for the first time, but he remains a director able to draw out the emotion and drama of situations like no-one else working today.

Have pasted my initial thoughts on the film below. If you get a chance, make sure to check it out as it surely won't be sticking around cinemas for long!
    The Past is another expertly crafted domestic melodrama from the great Asghar Farhadi, who I have in the past listed as perhaps my favourite contemporary filmmaker. This director is simply working on a completely different level to pretty much every other filmmaker these days - there's something so beautifully naturalistic, compassionate and unpretentious about his storytelling. He strips away the gloss to get to the powerful emotions at the centre of his dramas, and in the process explores his characters in a deeply intelligent and compelling way.

The story is deceptively simple - Ahmad (Ali Mosaffa) travels to France to finalise his divorce with soon-to-be-ex wife Marie (Bérénice Bejo). However, the scope of the film expands to include Marie's two daughters, her husband-to-be Samir (Tahar Rahim) and his son. The startling revelations and personal conflicts flow thick and fast here, emerging naturally as the characters interact with each other. Most of said revelations pack a truly devastating punch, and I was completely drawn into this family's strife.

I can see some viewers suggesting it's too long and presents a pretty grueling number of revelations within revelations, but to me it was all absolutely necessary for Farhadi to take his characters and themes to where they need to go. It's the rare sort of melodrama that earns its explosive emotional outbursts. The title couldn't be more appropriate - it's a film about regrets, secrets, misunderstandings, mistakes and commitments, and getting consumed by what might or might not have happened once upon a time. Ultimately, it's about the challenges facing those who want to look forward and let go, with a final long take of Samir and his comatose wife being as articulate and heartbreaking as that unforgettable final shot from A Separation. The Past is intense and captivating viewing seeing these characters address their demons and release their pent up emotions, and it's flawlessly acted. Farhadi's films are, above all, deeply and immensely human, and this is a further example of his beautiful, peerless craftsmanship and empathetic storytelling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

This film was first released nearly a year ago (May 13).
    I cant wait to see it, it hurt to hold off so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

I was a huge fan of A Separation and on that basis alone I was looking forward to The Past. I wasn't disappointed, a beautifully acted, filmed and written movie. I was very impresssed with Bernice Bejo, ablely supported by Rahim and Mosaffa. I loved all the little revelations that we had to piece together the complete picture. Did the actions of the illegal immigrant in the dry cleaners play a part in the wifes actions? or those of the daughter?.

The end of course was very open ended, you're not sure what is going to happen but your left thinking about the movie long after it has ended. Well recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Missed it in Cannes but got to see it at JDIFF. Great film indeed.

Advertisement