Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pulling a trailer

• 17-05-2012 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭

iv heard that new rules brought in in 2012 say you cant pull a double axel trailer with a car, you must have something with four wheel drive.
    can anyone confirm or deny this??
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Can I be the first ???

DENY!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

New one on me. You can't pull a twin-axle on a standard car licence, perhaps that's what someone heard and got mixed up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Don't know tbh, but i doubt it.
    Once the driver has an eb licence for pulling a trailer over 750 kg i wouldnt think the vehicle would make any difference.

dahamsta wrote: »
    New one on me. You can't pull a twin-axle on a standard car licence, perhaps that's what someone heard and got mixed up?

That's still not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Thought it was just weight .. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Eh, what? You certainly can (I think!). Pull a twin axle trailer or caravan on a B licence. Or so my licence tells me anyhow!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

My licence has a twin-axle trailer on a different category, I assume(d) it was an either/or for axles/weight. I only noticed when a hire shop guy pointed out out to me. Anyone know the legislation? I'd be delighted if I was wrong.

CiniO, any plans to start replying to people without sounding like a complete prat?

My licence has a twin-axle trailer on a different category, I assume(d) it was an either/or for axles/weight. I only noticed when a hire shop guy pointed out out to me. Anyone know the legislation? I'd be delighted if I was wrong.
    I normally like to quote legislations, but you don't seem to be worth it.

CiniO, any plans to start replying to people without sounding like a complete prat?

No. I'm happy where I am, and who I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

Of course you can. You can pull any trailer on a standard B licence once the DGVW of the trailer is less than your car's unladen weight, and the two numbers added don't exceed 3.5 tonnes (and obviously that your car is rated to pull the trailer - don't expect your Micra to be rated to pull a caravan). The number of axles is irrelevant, you can have a double axle with a DGVW of 350 kg, just as you could have a single axle with a DGVW of 1500 kg.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

There has been talk of needing a 4x4 to tow twin axle trailer for years now but I still havent heard of it being official or of anyone getting done for it.

Not to mention the point of the merits of using a 4x4 to tow a twin axle trailer when the majority of "proper" 4x4s are not suppose to be driven on the road in 4wd
    Of course you can. You can pull any trailer on a standard B licence once the DGVW of the trailer is less than your car's unladen weight, and the two numbers added don't exceed 3.5 tonnes (and obviously that your car is rated to pull the trailer - don't expect your Micra to be rated to pull a caravan). The number of axles is irrelevant, you can have a double axle with a DGVW of 350 kg, just as you could have a single axle with a DGVW of 1500 kg.

You should also check what your insurance covers you to tow, A lot of insurance companies cover you to tow a "normal domestic trailer" which is a very loose term.

I got one company to expand a bit on this and say "a two wheel trailer about 4ft x5ft".
    Its a good idea if you have a trailer to give the insurance company its details type, make, load rating etc, to make sure you are covered to tow it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

The 4x4 thing is a myth as far as i can tell, (although the 'proper' ones do have better towing ratings than most things you can drive on a B license). Its really does come down to weight in terms of licenses, then towing capacity of your vehicle if you have the EB.

There may be method to some of the madness about the 4x4 thing, because i'm personally fed up of seeing horseboxes behind golfs and corollas with two mares on board in this country... recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

TrailerBob wrote: »
    There may be method to some of the madness about the 4x4 thing, because i'm personally fed up of seeing horseboxes behind golfs and corollas with two mares on board in this country... recipe for disaster.

I agree
    But there are alot of 4x4s the wrong side of the law too.
    3t mini diggers is one of the most common ones people are inclined to think that if the dgw of a trailer is 3500kg they can put 3500kg on it not realising this is the gross weight including the trailer weight, and there arent many plant trailers that weigh less than 500kg :p

On a serious note though alot of people in this country seem to think if a car/jeep/van can move a trailer its ok to tow it and dont realise how dangerous not knowing the limits of a vehicle can be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

This rumour has been rattling around for a while, can't see it myself. What about builders who use big transits and the like to tow plant trailers? Why does it matter what the tow vehicle is as long as it's rated for the towed load and the driver has the appropriate license.

More awareness of the rules and a bit of enforcement of the existing law wouldn't go amiss. There's still a lot of "ah sure a Caddy is an animal to tow" replies floating around when it's limited to 1800kg or so :rolleyes:
    "proper" 4x4s are not suppose to be driven on the road in 4wd

Most 4x4s are permanent 4wd these days except the more basic pick ups.

4x4 may start a trailer easier in the wet but it's still 4 small patches of rubber when it comes to stopping an overloaded trailer with brakes that haven't been looked at for years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

CiniO wrote: »
    No. I'm happy where I am, and who I am.

That one had me on the floor!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

TPM wrote: »
    You should also check what your insurance covers you to tow, A lot of insurance companies cover you to tow a "normal domestic trailer" which is a very loose term.

My Quinn policy says: "Use for towing (other than for hire or reward) of any one disabled mechanically propelled vehicle or trailer". It doesn't specify what size of trailer, or a DGVW.

How would that 4x4 rule even be enforceable (putting aside that it makes no logical sense)? A Hilux is selectable 2WD or 4WD for example, is there going to be checkpoints to ensure that the centre diff is engaged when towing? Or if I stick a 4motion badge on the back of a Golf will it suddenly have a higher towing limit?

It makes no sense anyway, are they suggesting a 600cc 4WD Suzuki Alto is a better pulling machine than a 3.2L 2WD Transit? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

101sean wrote: »
    4x4 may start a trailer easier in the wet but it's still 4 small patches of rubber when it comes to stopping an overloaded trailer with brakes that haven't been looked at for years.

This has been my point of view for many years. I could be wrong but fairly sure that is where towing ratings come from - the braking ability of vehicle and trailer as opposed to 'pulling' ability.

I have personally pulled a stricken 7.5 ton truck to a siding to get it off the main road with the Landcruiser - (not legal, but the 40 cars stuck behind it weren't complaining). The jeep can pull that weight, but I trying to stop it from road speeds would be a very different story

Advertisement