Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

01 almera growling noise.

Options
  • 20-03-2012 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

The almera sounds fine when idling but soon as you accelerate you get a growling/rough noise coming from low down in the engine,I thought it may have been timing chain but the noise is to low down in the engine for it.
    Any suggestions what it might be,I know its hard without seeing it.
    I was going to give the engine a flush and change the oil and filter see does this improve it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Sounds like gearbox bearings..

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Sounds like gearbox bearings..

Yeah it sounds somewhere around the gearbox but wasn't 100% sure,Gearbox has been changed at some point by previous owners as i noticed 03 almera wrote on it with the pens scrapyards use.
    Is this expensive job it it turns out to be bearings?

Car was advertised as having a new drive and clutch,so i'd say they have tried fixing this problem to no avail.I'm a stupid c**t i always get stuck with pieces of ****e.:mad:

If it was the box typically it would get noisier as you ease off the accelerator too.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    If it was the box typically it would get noisier as you ease off the accelerator too.

no this is only when accelerating its louder in 1st 2nd and 3rd gear

I've just been inside car and did video hopefully you can hear,didn't want to rev to loud and wake the baby :o

Any mechanics on here recognise the noise in the vid?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mercenary2

it would be best if you take video over engine in day light showing engine as it accelerates

mercenary2 wrote: »
    it would be best if you take video over engine in day light showing engine as it accelerates

ok will do that today sometime,can you hear the noise i'm on about though,doesn't sound good does it.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sidcon

mercenary2 wrote: »

ok will do that today sometime,can you hear the noise i'm on about though,doesn't sound good does it.:(
    That's the same noise I had over the weekend, I now have no car and need a new gearbox and I drove on it and broke all the pieces. Get it to a garage quick

sidcon wrote: »
    That's the same noise I had over the weekend, I now have no car and need a new gearbox and I drove on it and broke all the pieces. Get it to a garage quick

I'll be taking it to the bog with some petrol and matches,gearbox will be more than the cars worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Almeras are notorious for crap gearboxes. Surely you could get a reconditioned one nowadaya?

just had another look now and done video,it sounds to me to be coming from behind the injectors is this where the inlet manifold is as to me it sounds like something blowing.

I'll send in to mechanic in next few days just wanted some ideas what it could be so i'm not getting spun a few lies by mechanic.

Piston slap maybe?

Piston slap maybe?

Sounds worse than that to me, is there oil in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

It's not a tensioner or busted alternator or something like that? Can you run it without any auxilliary belts on for a few seconds?

Sounds worse than that to me, is there oil in it?

Yeah there's oil in it but there's not to say its been neglected previously,I've only had the car 2 weeks :(

• Advertisement

Any mechanics want some painting done in there house in exchange for fixing this for me,lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

sounds like a muscle car v8 growl ..could it be the exaust manifold gasget

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

dharn wrote: »
    sounds like a muscle car v8 growl ..could it be the exaust manifold gasget

Shounds a bit bad to be the exhaust manifold gasket. Any of them that I've seen gone just sound like a blowing exhaust, only worse. There is some sort of knocking going on there. Not sure what though.

I've been looking at this all day now and the noise is 100% low down in the engine.I was told that the car got a full service a month before i bought it but have checked air filter and someone has wrote 23-11-07 in marker so take it the filter hasn't been changed since then,so changes are the oil the same.
    Is it worth me giving it a good service with fresh oil see does it solve anything or am i just pissing in the wind.
    Photo0084.jpg

:(

sorry to keep asking questions,I've checked the timing chain guide and is out 11ml could this be my problem?
    Photo0087.jpg
    Photo0088.jpg

...............I was told that the car got a full service a month before i bought it but have checked air filter and someone has wrote 23-11-07 in marker so take it the filter hasn't been changed since then,so changes are the oil the same.......................

Air filters are often neglected, 3 year old engine oil would be as black as night.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

i had something similar a few years ago and it turned out to be a loose airfilter cover.

Air filters are often neglected, 3 year old engine oil would be as black as night.
    The oil is black but not that black.Mechanic drove it and showed me how to check timing chain which i did and he said it would be cheaper to replace the engine than doing the chain,is this right or am i being strung along.

• Advertisement

.......... he said it would be cheaper to replace the engine than doing the chain,is this right or am i being strung along.

Dunno, the bits would be at least €200 I suppose, dunno can the chain be done without taking out the engine or not, if it's an engine out job it would depend on how much a replacement fitted engine would cost. Actually doing the chain etc would be more than a few hours labour too of course.

Advertisement