Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uploading problems on new website

Options
  • 21-09-2011 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

I have a new website and a FTp system was built into it to enable uploading of files. The files are photos and are approx 5mb per file. there is a bulk upload facility as I need to be able to upload approx 20-30 images per upload.

I am having huge problems with the uploading and need some advice.

The system wont upload large files so I have reduced the file to a low resolution format. I know ftp is internet dependent so upload is impossible with an eircom broadband service.

I have access to a much faster internet connection but the upload is still taking hours for a few small files.

My business is dependent on the uploading of these files so I have to be able to upload in bulk and fast.

Does anyone have any advice on what kind of system I need to use. Is there any software available that can be integrated into my existing website that will help with this uploading issue

Any help much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Why don't you try a stand-alone FTP client like Filezilla? Alternatively, contact whoever it is that built your site and get them to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 deno120

Thanks for reply,

I will look into that. I have contacted my web developer but he is basically saying there is nothing he can do.

He is saying that the ftp is internet based but I am using a fast connection and it still makes no difference. Also when I upload one image, the code in the back end recreates a black and white and sepia copy, it also creates three thumbnail prints and watermarks them.

He is saying that these commands are what is taking the time to upload the photos. I cant see how this can be the case and dont believe that it is. So basically what he is saying is that the functions on the site are causing a long delay per image upload.

My website has its own products and prices so I just need upload software. I know there are some companies that offer a upload service but you have to use there layout on your website. My site was specifically built for my products so need something easily integrated with all the current functions on the site.

Any other advice on this really appreciated, I am a new business and due to these issues I have lost quite a few customers!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

To be honest, if you are uploading 20 x 5MB files it will be a slow process. Are your images optimised? 5MB seems like a horrendously large image size.

The role of an FTP is simple - file transfer. Do you need these other images created? That functionality sounds odd to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I wonder could the image creation be done on your computer and then uploaded (I am thinking ImageMagick convert - it does sepia, b&w and can make thumbnails; I have scripted it for image resizing and thumbnail creation).

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭VMotion

deno120, firstly Eircom broadband is perfectly capable of uploading 100MB of files. Upload speed can depend on lots of variables but besides your sending speed, there is receiving speed of the server you are on. Have you contacted your host (or is your webdeveloper hosting your website?) to see what they can do with it? Try uploading files with Filezilla directly and see if the speed is anything different from the one that you get during uploading via your website.

Thank you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement