Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Raid - Indonesian action film

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Uk & Irish release is late may iirc.

It's def going on my list!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

frag420 wrote: »
    Uk & Irish release is late may iirc.

It's def going on my list!!

I think Gareth said 18th of May at the Q&A after the movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

The countdown to the official release is hotting up - new (well new to Apple) trailer on iTunes/Apple trailer site. In another summer of big budget Hollywood flicks, this is the action film I'm most anticipating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

The countdown to the official release is hotting up - new (well new to Apple) trailer on iTunes/Apple trailer site. In another summer of big budget Hollywood flicks, this is the action film I'm most anticipating.

oh god, dont watch any of them - i watched a few after I saw the movie and was horrified how much they show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I would like to see this in a cinema in Galway. Probably won't happen though.

Oh well...other ways I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,741 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120321/REVIEWS/120329993

You know, I admire Roger Ebert, and he's more than entitled to express his distaste at the level of violence in the film.

However, he really needs to get the **** over his misunderstanding of ahem 'video games'. Really makes for some awkward reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Heh just read that and it more or less reflects what I thought when I saw it in the cinema. Just wave after wave of violent conflict - don't see how people don't get bored of it.

I did enjoy the first twenty minutes or so for the suspense and audacity of the raid. I'm guessing martial arts just aint for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Ha, I'm the opposite - don't admire Ebert but at last he's come out with a one star review after about a million four star ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,741 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well I think with Ebert it's either 'masterpiece' or 'worthless tripe' :pac: Definitely a fan of the old hyperbole.

Again, can definitely see a few people having a similar opinion and finding the whole thing distasteful. But 'it's like a video game' is perhaps the lowliest phrase in current critical discourse, and genuinely frustrates me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I like how the Cineworld site says this has the same director as Monsters. Just because they're both called Gareth. :pac:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120321/REVIEWS/120329993

You know, I admire Roger Ebert, and he's more than entitled to express his distaste at the level of violence in the film.

However, he really needs to get the **** over his misunderstanding of ahem 'video games'. Really makes for some awkward reading.
    http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2012/03/hollywoods_highway_to_hell.html
    His blog post defending the review is even more hypocritical and nonsensical, and I consider myself a fan of his.

I really agree with this commenter on the blog:

"Roger, I have the answer to your conundrum.

Movies like The Raid are essentially art films, like Koyaanisqatsi or Russian Ark. They are not supposed to have plots and character arcs like typical movies do. They're supposed to be enjoyed purely on the basis of the art they display.

What seems to have thrown you off is that the art in The Raid is the stylized violence of the martial arts/action genre. But it's the kindred spirit of gentler, yet equally atypical, films."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Its just a really good watch...even though occasionally I did go "Just kill him already".

Great film , sub titles don't not detract from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭Catcher7791

There's a late night preview on May 4th in the IFI:

http://www.ifibooking.ie/bookingtickets.tpl?Performancecode=25215

Couldn't resist picking up a ticket for tonight. Should be a laugh with a drunk audience ;) Anyone else heading along?

Goddam it I have to work!! Still happy I saw it in the Savoy though and looking forward to the DVD.

Does anyone know if there will be a special edition released??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Just Home from the IFI and I have to say - Loved every bit of the movie. Atmosphere was amazing :)

Just as fun second time around, even if the crowd wasn't quite as receptive as the JDIFF one (I put that unrepeatable Saturday morning down to some sort of psychic groupthink).

However, I'll admit to being a bit frustrated by the guy directly behind us who kept insisting on trying to get a clap going after every other scene. Even when it was clear the crowd wasn't going to. A small annoyance in an otherwise fun screening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Is it on general release in two weeks? Really looking forward to this!

Yep!

Looks like the IMC cinemas are playing it too, nice. Hope it gets a decent audience, saw a TV spot on Film 4 the other night too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I have tickets to the sky rewards screening of this in VUE on tuesday.

DYING for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I have tickets to the sky rewards screening of this in VUE on tuesday.

DYING for it!

AllIcansayisWOW!

That was just an exhibition of awesome :D

Just seen as ad on the tv for it!!

I envy those who have yet to see it, such a treat!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

There's a preview in the Light House this Sunday the 13th http://lighthousecinema.ie/?dIndex=4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Can't wait for this shizzle! Looks low budget, but might be good craic all the same

Looks low budget, but might be good craic all the same

:confused:

For a low-budget film ($1 million) it looks, sounds and feels like it was made for ten, twenty, thirty times that. One location obviously helps, as did the seemingly low cost of film production in Indonesia, but watching the film you wouldn't have a clue it was made for a miniscule budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Going by Johnny's ever gushing praise for this film, I cannot wait for this. Looks like great fun.

Perhaps I should moderate that gushing praise with the observation that it is just a relatively plotless film about lads getting dispatched for an hour and a half.

Majestically dispatched, of course ;)

:confused:

For a low-budget film ($1 million) it looks, sounds and feels like it was made for ten, twenty, thirty times that. One location obviously helps, as did the seemingly low cost of film production in Indonesia, but watching the film you wouldn't have a clue it was made for a miniscule budget.

True that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Perhaps I should moderate that gushing praise with the observation that it is just a relatively plotless film about lads getting dispatched for an hour and a half.

Majestically dispatched, of course ;)

But for some that can be movie heaven at times :D, I for one cannot wait to see this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I wonder what the chances are of this coming to the carlow omniplex

somewhere inbetween slim and none i'd imagine :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Is there much subtitles, or is it nearly all just action?

Just surprised to see a subtitled/foreign film getting a proper release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Is there much subtitles, or is it nearly all just action?

Just surprised to see a subtitled/foreign film getting a proper release.

Yeh was thinking the same myself, be the first subtitled film I can think of that has gotten a wide release over here im not sure if Crouching Tiger did or not, Im hoping they dont dub it that ruins films for me.

There's relatively little dialog yeah, you could watch the first hour or so completely unsubtitled and you'd still know clearly what's going on. So I'm sure the usual crowd who moans abut having to "read during a movie" will be satisfied too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

I wonder what the chances are of this coming to the carlow omniplex

somewhere inbetween slim and none i'd imagine :/

i have my fingers crossed. really want to see this on a big screen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I got to see it last weekend as part of a double bill with Hard Boiled at my local cinema in London. Well impressed!

Looks like something similar is happening at the Lighthouse but over the course of a week or so.

http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/article.php?sec=NEWS&_aid=1207

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Got a ticket for Sunday in Lighthouse Cinema, awww yis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Saw this on Friday and my face nearly exploded through sheer awesomeness. Had to restrain myself from shouting "FUUUUUUUUUUUCK" during each fight scene - it really is an exhilarating, well-paced visceral thrill from start to finish.

One of the best action movies I've ever seen and downright old school in its stripped-down adherence towards action over all else.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SamV

just back from seeing this at the Triskel in Cork. Great movie, can definitely see connection/comparisons to Hardboiled. Hardly even noticed my ass going numb on those bloody pew seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

might be some use to folks

'The Raid' is coming to Cineworld screens on the 18th of May. However, we are offering the chance for our Unlimited Card holders to catch this film 3 days early in an Unlimited members only screening at 8.45pm on the 15th of May.

What's more you can collect your tickets at box office at any time. Simply call into Cineworld Dublin with your valid Unlimited Card and you can collect your ticket

Actually don't think I've ever seen as many preview screenings of one film. Everybody will have feckin' seen it (twice!) by the time general release comes around :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

Saw this on Friday and my face nearly exploded through sheer awesomeness. Had to restrain myself from shouting "FUUUUUUUUUUUCK" during each fight scene - it really is an exhilarating, well-paced visceral thrill from start to finish.

One of the best action movies I've ever seen and downright old school in its stripped-down adherence towards action over all else.

Thats pretty much my experience of it too:D^^^^ i knew very little about it before going in,saw the synopsis on the leaflet and thought "looks interesting"......holy f*ck it rocks!

Its basically 100 minutes of guys beating the living ****e out of each other with some of the best choreography ive ever seen(maybe ever come to think of it)this is how action movies should be done,simple plot,loads and loads...and loads of action,its exhausting just to look at,this must be seen on the big screen.......which is why ill have to go again!

SamV wrote: »
    just back from seeing this at the Triskel in Cork. Great movie, can definitely see connection/comparisons to Hardboiled. Hardly even noticed my ass going numb on those bloody pew seats.

Thats where i saw it too,those seats are awful,and it doesnt help that some of the dialogue was obscured by the people in front as its all level,it obviously wasnt a big deal for a movie like "The Raid" but it would make me think twice about seeing another subtitled movie there

Was the same in the Savoy in Dublin at the JDIFF screening. Kept having to lean awkwardly to read some of the lines (not that plot is the most major of concerns here). And you just know the people behind you hate you for it.

Oh and btw i couldnt agree more with your personal highlight;)
    the guy getting Rugby tackled mid air out the f**king window! brilliant!

• Advertisement

Claycats "The Raid".....class!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Claycats "The Raid".....class!

incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Huh, back from seeing it in Lighthouse Cinema...
    So that's what exhilarating means! :D

Was there too, even having to queue outside the screen for 20 minutes only made me anticipate it more. Brilliant movie.

Since it was my second viewing I was pretty giddy anticipating all the big payoffs and how everyone in the room would react to it. :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement