Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spike Lee to direct Oldboy remake

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

If they can top the one-shot fight scene in the hallway, then it might be interesting

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have no interest in seeing Oldboy remade when the original is a fine film in its own right. Especially not a remake from a country whose cultural values will make it very difficult to produce and market a decently-funded film which examines
    incestuous relationships and their impact on people

I can understand and enjoy remakes which radically reimagine the original, or where the original isn't very good. There's nothing wrong with Oldboy as it stands that suggests an american remake would be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

The Korean one was an absolute classic. This will no way be as good. Especially If one Of the Olsen twins is involved

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Elizabeth Olsen isn't one of the Olsen twins, she's their younger sister. And she's a fantastic actress. Go watch Martha Marcy May Marlene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Elizabeth Olsen isn't one of the Olsen twins, she's their younger sister. And she's a fantastic actress. Go watch Martha Marcy May Marlene.

Sorry about that she is.didnt even know she existed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sharlto Copley is playing the villian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Even with the decent people involved, I just don't see the point of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Even with the decent people involved, I just don't see the point of this.

Whether we like it or not the majority of good world cinema films if adaptable will be remade by Hollywood because a) there to lazy to come up with original concepts b) They know it already has a market from the original lets be honest were all going to watch therefore that will build a buzz about it add in marketing and here comes the cash c) Sadly the vast majority of people hear subtitles and think its a crap film :rolleyes: or are to lazy to read subtitles.

Whether we like it or not the majority of good world cinema films if adaptable will be remade by Hollywood because a) there to lazy to come up with original concepts b) They know it already has a market from the original lets be honest were all going to watch therefore that will build a buzz about it add in marketing and here comes the cash c) Sadly the vast majority of people hear subtitles and think its a crap film :rolleyes: or are to lazy to read subtitles.

To be honest, I don't even see myself watching this version.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I don't even see myself watching this version.

I'd like to say I'll be the same but I know curiousty will get the better of me, as it does with majority of remakes always have to watch them for good or bad.

I'd like to say I'll be the same but I know curiousty will get the better of me, as it does with majority of remakes always have to watch them for good or bad.

Yeah, I get people's curiosity, and if you like the original, you're gonna be tempted to watch another, possibly different version of it, but I've never been that drawn to American remakes of foreign movies.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, I get people's curiosity, and if you like the original, you're gonna be tempted to watch another, possibly different version of it, but I've never been that drawn to American remakes of foreign movies.

The Departed is the only example I can think of off-hand that worked well - I really enjoyed Infernal Affairs, and The Departed had enough of its own flavour that I enjoyed it too, without having that horrible feeling you normally get with such remakes of noticing all the bits that have been put in to make sure even the dimmest of audience members can keep track of the story and/or feel a suitable amount of closure at the ending (Dark Water, I'm looking at you. Original version wasn't exactly amazing, but the remake was so close as to be pointless, while ensuring that what little they added to the film made it worse).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Donald Clarke has a pretty good list of worthy remakes in his blog... until he mentions Let Me In at the end.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/screenwriter/2012/08/19/silly-season-10-best-ever-remakes/

American remakes of foreign language films tend to be crap for the reasons Fysh already mentioned. Although Killer Joe was surprisingly perverted for an American film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I just watched MMM and thought Olsen was excellent, looked at her IMDB page and noticed Oldboy????? Now I am here to see what boardsies think, and too am disappoint.

Spike Lee remake, really?

/gobsmacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sure does, don't know what to make of this tbh. Although Inside Man was a really good film. I would have thought this would be more up someone like David Fincher's alley. Wasn't Spielberg linked to this at one point?

Originally, Spielberg was slated to direct with Will Smith starring (yes really). What were the chances of a Will Smith movie keeping that plot twist?

I don't have high hopes. When they took the wild and funny My Sassy Girl and turned it into a bowl of warm pish, I kinda lost faith in Hollywood's ability to reinterpret Korean cinema.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I know this sounds exmtremely negative, but I almost want this movie to be crap. Because I'm tired of Hollywood 빌어 먹을 자막을 읽을 수 없다는*

*not being able to read the ****ing subtitles.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

You know what, I'm really looking forward to this!

I know remakes are the devil's work etc... but for me what was most interesting about Oldboy was not the story but the style- Park Chan-wook's films are so visually distinctive- so I'm really interested to see how another strong voice will handle the same material. If it was John Moore or someone like that directing I'd have different thoughts on the matter but it's Spike Lee! At the very least it'll be a cool compare and contrast. And the original will still exist. Hey, if any other world auteurs want to take a stab at doing their version, I'd be ok with that. Think of the film nerd possibilities! I mean, I don't think I could watch Michael Haneke's Oldboy but I would welcome its existence.

Plus I'm looking forward to seeing Sharlto Copley on the big screen again.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

There was a private screening held last week. The person who wrote about it said nothing but positive things. Minimal changes to the story

There was a private screening held last week. The person who wrote about it said nothing but positive things. Minimal changes to the story

Any links?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

SVG wrote: »
    You know what, I'm really looking forward to this!

I know remakes are the devil's work etc... but for me what was most interesting about Oldboy was not the story but the style- Park Chan-wook's films are so visually distinctive- so I'm really interested to see how another strong voice will handle the same material. If it was John Moore or someone like that directing I'd have different thoughts on the matter but it's Spike Lee! At the very least it'll be a cool compare and contrast. And the original will still exist. Hey, if any other world auteurs want to take a stab at doing their version, I'd be ok with that. Think of the film nerd possibilities! I mean, I don't think I could watch Michael Haneke's Oldboy but I would welcome its existence.

Plus I'm looking forward to seeing Sharlto Copley on the big screen again.

I disagree and I think you're doing a disservice to the narrative in the film to suggest that only the visual style was noteworthy. The style was exceptional, yes, as it generally is in Chan-Wook's films, but it worked because the narrative and the storytelling were in step with the style.

Where the kind of "bring your own voice to a familiar yarn" exercises that you allude to (like The Aristocrats) actually work is when the original story is simple and has space where the auteur in question has space to truly make it their own, bringing their own style and storytelling to the fore. I'm firmly of the opinion that Oldboy is, in the context of revenge films, sufficiently distinctive that this would not be the case. I'd be much more interested in such auteurs coming with projects to remake flawed films with a strong premise, to see if in a new and different project they can realise the potential that the original missed out.

In which light, I'd be very disappointed if the best idea for a project that any of the kind of auteurs you mention could come up with was "their own version of $FILM". And yes, that does kind of apply to Spike Lee here as well.

It's hard to know what to make of that; things like describing the new hallway as "ridiculous and over the top - and I loved it", or talking about spending the second and third acts cringing, make me wonder how much the reviewer's perspective and my own are aligned. Without seeing the film it's impossible to form an informed opinion on it, obviously, but those comments wouldn't be enough to change my mind and make me want to see it (not least because they seem like a fairly obvious attempt at getting positive buzz going a few months in advance of the release).

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭SVG

Fysh wrote: »
    I disagree and I think you're doing a disservice to the narrative in the film to suggest that only the visual style was noteworthy. The style was exceptional, yes, as it generally is in Chan-Wook's films, but it worked because the narrative and the storytelling were in step with the style.

Where the kind of "bring your own voice to a familiar yarn" exercises that you allude to (like The Aristocrats) actually work is when the original story is simple and has space where the auteur in question has space to truly make it their own, bringing their own style and storytelling to the fore. I'm firmly of the opinion that Oldboy is, in the context of revenge films, sufficiently distinctive that this would not be the case. I'd be much more interested in such auteurs coming with projects to remake flawed films with a strong premise, to see if in a new and different project they can realise the potential that the original missed out.

In which light, I'd be very disappointed if the best idea for a project that any of the kind of auteurs you mention could come up with was "their own version of $FILM". And yes, that does kind of apply to Spike Lee here as well.

I totally respect that opinion and I can see why it's the majority view:).

But just to clarify my own view a little bit, I didn't say the style was the only noteworthy thing about the film, I said it was what I found most interesting. Opinions obviously vary. To me, it was a simple story of revenge with the addition of a shocking twist. Doing it again with the cat out of the bag puts even more emphasis on the style and, shallow person that I am, that excites me.

And I would be under no illusion that a remake of Oldboy would be any auteur's "best idea". I don't expect this to be Lee's best work. I'm kind of taking it like Spike Lee's version of one of Graham Greene's entertainments- not as personal, made to entertain, but still with a voice. I think it's cool someone gave him a heap of money and a good cast to do this. Would it be better if he had these tools to do more personal work? Of course yes. But, while I'm waiting for that to happen, this will pass the time nicely (and, sad fact that it is, this- unlike his more personal work- might actually play in a cinema near me).

I think what's best about it is, even if it's bad, it'll be an interesting conversation- about Spike Lee, about Chan-wook Park, and about adaptations. And I like talking about films!

SVG wrote: »
    I think what's best about it is, even if it's bad, it'll be an interesting conversation- about Spike Lee, about Chan-wook Park, and about adaptations. And I like talking about films!

It's funny you use the word "adaptation" - if we'd heard much about Lee wanting to do a new English language adaptation of the original comics, ignoring the previous film version, there might be more scope for this to be interesting. I'm guessing most people (myself included) will interpret it as a remake of the film, though.

Sadly, I don't think there's scope for Lee's Oldboy to add much interesting new flavour to the ongoing "American audiences - apparently allergic to subtitles and/or foreigners" thread permeating film discussion. If anything it'll be more of the same. :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Scheduled for an October 25th release according to Dread Central.

The Spike Lee-directed remake of Park Chan-wook’s Korean classic Oldboy was originally slated for release on October 11th, but now it has been pushed to October 25th, pitting it directly against Paranormal Activity 5. So tell us... who's getting your box office dollars?

Starring Josh Brolin, Elizabeth Olsen, and Sharlto Copley, Oldboy was directed by Spike Lee from a script by Mark Protosevich (I Am Legend, The Cell, Thor). The film was produced by Roy Lee, Doug Davison, and Nathan Kahane.

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Decuc500

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Another pointless remake for dumb Americans that are lazy and/or illiterate.

I don’t understand this “American remake for an American audience” thing. Audiences all over the world will lap up big budget Hollywood remakes. They’re not just made with an American audience in mind. It’s a worldwide Multiplex audience in mind. So we’re all just as culpable as those pesky, non subtitle reading Americans.

I’ve also never understood the hate for remakes or the idea that a remake of a foreign film is always some kind of evil thing. Some of my favourite films are remakes. I mean William Friedkin’s ‘Sorcerer’, Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’ or Cronenberg’s ‘The Fly’ (whether they’re remakes or re-imaginings of a source novel) justify the idea of another director presenting his vision. Ok, so for every ‘Sorcerer’, there’s ‘The Fog’ and quite a few more besides and the amount of recent not too good remakes is disappointing.

I’ll judge Oldboy as the new Spike Lee joint and wait till after I’ve seen it before I get indignant about the thoughts of its existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Decuc500 wrote: »
    I don’t understand this “American remake for an American audience” thing. Audiences all over the world will lap up big budget Hollywood remakes. They’re not just made with an American audience in mind. It’s a worldwide Multiplex audience in mind. So we’re all just as culpable as those pesky, non subtitle reading Americans.

I’ve also never understood the hate for remakes or the idea that a remake of a foreign film is always some kind of evil thing. Some of my favourite films are remakes. I mean William Friedkin’s ‘Sorcerer’, Carpenter’s ‘The Thing’ or Cronenberg’s ‘The Fly’ (whether they’re remakes or re-imaginings of a source novel) justify the idea of another director presenting his vision. Ok, so for every ‘Sorcerer’, there’s ‘The Fog’ and quite a few more besides and the amount of recent not too good remakes is disappointing.

I’ll judge Oldboy as the new Spike Lee joint and wait till after I’ve seen it before I get indignant about the thoughts of its existence.

I understand your point about the hate on remakes, but in fairness the examples you gave are 20+ years old. Most remakes these days are a different animal, a lot are devoid of any real imagining. The law of averages means there will always be a few good ones, but I think the negativity towards remakes is justified considering how many poor ones have been churned out in the last decade and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,034 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I thought this project was dead a long time ago! :(

oldboy_brolin_poster.jpg

Source

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,731 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

First thought: that's a joke poster, right?

*clicks link. Sees it's the reputable trade magazine Variety*

Second thought: the ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,731 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well, at least under Spike Lee we can at least assume it will be a 'different' sort of remake to the norm. He's made some appalling films in his time alongside the great ones, but they're rarely dull. Better to have an occasionally brilliant auteur than some miscellaneous hack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

What in the name of fcuk is the story with the poster?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

I like the poster. What's wrong with it?

I like the poster. What's wrong with it?

It looks like Brolin is playing an evil kiddie rapist who drags his victims into a trunk which no doubts lead to a bad, bad place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,034 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It looks like Brolin is playing an evil kiddie rapist who drags his victims into a trunk which no doubts lead to a bad, bad place.
    All I can see from the poster is what appears to be hay growing out of Brolin's hand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Looks like a screenshot of some Irish short film that was shot out in the midlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Jaysus, giving the North Korean and Iranian militaries a good run for their money with the photoshop skills.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

lol, it's certainly an ... enigmatic poster anyway; it's kind of awesome in a hilariously bizarre sort of way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It looks like Neo from The Matrix fell down the rabbit hole and ended up in Wonderland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

Corholio wrote: »
    It looks like Neo from The Matrix fell down the rabbit hole and ended up in Wonderland.

And worse then that, it manages to include a tag line with a HUGE EFFIN SPOILER.

It really gets on my wick when they do that, along with trailers that, rather then tease the plot, feel the need to surmise the entire plot in 60 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

That poster just looks cheap

Trailer is suppose to out tomorrow

Spike Lee's Twitter:-

Good Morning People-This Wednesday July 10th The Movie Trailer For My New
    Film OLDBOY Comes Out. Stay Tune For Link. Peace And Love,Spike

A still doing the rounds:

oldboy1-260x160.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Looks like a screenshot of some Irish short film that was shot out in the midlands.

It really does. Looks incredibly cheap. Horrible poster.

Trailer is out:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/07/10/oldboy-trailer-starring-josh-brolin-debuts/

Edit: Unsurprisingly there is a lot of familiarity in it but
    if I'm not mistaken it shows the face of his daughter as an adult to him on the television so that kind of changes the direction of the film surely?

• Advertisement

I can't get that video to play. How much do Yahoo pay websites to use their crappy video?

Here's the embedded Youtube:

Looks pretty much the same but with some Spike Lee-isms thrown in. I've no doubt they've messed with the ending. I expect the
    incest
    is still there but handled differently.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Boo Radley wrote: »
    Trailer is out:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/07/10/oldboy-trailer-starring-josh-brolin-debuts/

Edit: Unsurprisingly there is a lot of familiarity in it but
    if I'm not mistaken it shows the face of his daughter as an adult to him on the television so that kind of changes the direction of the film surely?
    I'd be surprised if that were the case but it certainly looks that way on the surface. For now I'm going to assume it's a ploy of some sort by his captors and the girl he bangs is in fact his daughter.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if that were the case but it certainly looks that way on the surface. For now I'm going to assume it's a ploy of some sort by his captors and the girl he bangs is in fact his daughter.

That would make sense alright. If not a little unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Looks good. I never understand how a remake of a film can be 'pointless' when the original film itself is just an adaptation of a manga.

I'm wondering what audience reactions will be like. Bet there'll be a lot of people feeling awfully cheated with the plot twist.

snausages wrote: »
    Looks good. I never understand how a remake of a film can be 'pointless' when the original film itself is just an adaptation of a manga.
    A loose adaptation. As the trailer makes clear, this is a remake of the Korean film, not a re-adaptation of the original source material, though I'm sure Lee will roll that one out on the publicity campaign. Matt Reeves tried to say the same thing about Let Me In. I expect this to be a similar type of adaptation. Decent but redundant and totally inferior to the original.

• Advertisement
Advertisement