Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spike Lee to direct Oldboy remake

Options
  • 06-07-2011 4:52pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Twitch has learned that Spike Lee is currently in talks to direct the long-rumored Hollywood remake of Park Chan-Wook´s Oldboy.

Word of a US remake of the Park Chan-Wook revenge classic first surfaced in 2008 with word that both Steven Spielberg (in some capacity) and Will Smith were eyeing the project and now it appears to finally be moving ahead.

The film is set up at Mandate with Doug Davison and Roy Lee producing and Mark Protosevich (Thor, I Am Legend) writing the script.

Lee is a shocking but intriguing prospect to direct this material and a damn sight more interesting than most of the director´s whose names have been floated as possibilities over the years. As for Smith, there´s no word yet if he is still involved but the man did just refuse the lead role of Tarantino´s Django Unchained, which would suggest he´s got something else in the works.
    http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/07/breaking-spike-lee-in-talks-to-direct-oldboy-remake.php

Even with Lee directing, is there even the slightest chance that this won't be watered-down crap?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,127 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Even with Lee directing, is there even the slightest chance that this won't be watered-down crap?

Probably not, but hey there'll probably be some angry monlogues about race where once there was squid eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Spike Lee can't even get a cinema release these days. Seems an odd choice.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Galvasean wrote: »
    Spike Lee can't even get a cinema release these days. Seems an odd choice.

Sure does, don't know what to make of this tbh. Although Inside Man was a really good film. I would have thought this would be more up someone like DAvid Fincher's alley. WAsn't Spielberg linked to this at one point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

For the love of God..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Honestly I would've thought Sympathy For Mr Vengeance would be more suited to Lee's style.

Not that I'd want that to be remade either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Just watched Oldboy last night for the first time, seen it recommended here so I said I'd check it out

Thought it was an excellent film, cant see a remake being anywhere near as good, wont have the same gusto

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Ridley

I thought it was another adaptation of the manga and not a remake..?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Well it's now confirmed Lee is directing, and Josh Brolin is linked to the main role.I have no idea what to make of Lee doing this!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50331

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50349

It makes sense for Lee to take this on, after the massive failure of Miracle at St Anna Lee cant even get financing for his Inside Man sequel. Old Boy with an A list star is a guaranteed cinema release and if it's even a small commercial success it'll make financing his next film slightly easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

When's the last time Hollywood had an original idea?!
    Why can't they just leave a good film as it is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭blodvyn

Don't like the idea of a remake, especially with lee, I do love the thought of brolin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

Probably Inception. So another one is due any decade now.

It makes sense for Lee to take this on, after the massive failure of Miracle at St Anna Lee cant even get financing for his Inside Man sequel. Old Boy with an A list star is a guaranteed cinema release and if it's even a small commercial success it'll make financing his next film slightly easier.

I'm sure it makes commercial sense for him to do it but I just can't imagine his style applied to the story of Oldboy. That could turn out to be a good thing though I suppose!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Mr. Denton wrote: »
    Probably Inception. So another one is due any decade now.

Off topic but I heard that Inception was very close to a story in (of all things) a Scrooge McDuck comic.

Anyway, I can't imagine how this could work. It wouldn't be as good if it wasn't so crazy and there is now way it won't be watered down for the US market.

ziedth wrote: »
    Off topic but I heard that Inception was very close to a story in (of all things) a Scrooge McDuck comic.

donald_duck_inception.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Why can't they just leave a good film as it is?
    And why couldn't those pesky Koreans just leave a good Japanese manga as it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Ridley

Apparently They're taking the elements They like from both the manga and movie.

Or at least that's what an unnamed source says.
    With Spike Lee now officially locked to direct a US version of Oldboy the question nobody seems to have asked yet is what will provide the actual basis of this new version of the film. Many forget that Park Chan-Wook's South Korean film was itself an adaptation of a previous Japanese manga and so the question becomes which will provide the basis for the US film.

And the answer is both.

A source close to the production tells Twitch that writer Mark Protosevich is using both the Korean film and the Japanese book as reference points for his own script. While the previous film will have more of an influence on the Protosevich script the manga will definitely also be present. Beyond that we are also told that the approach here is not unlike that employed with The Departed, a film from the same producers which used characters and scenarios from the source material as a launching point while also jettisoning several key elements and events from the original film and working significant amounts of entirely new material into the mix. We're told roughly twenty percent of the Protosevich script is entirely new material.

So here's what to expect. Just as Park Chan-Wook took a central concept from the Japanese manga while radically re-envisioning parts to create something new, the goal here is not to create a slavish shot-for-shot remake but to take elements of the Park film combined with elements of the manga and completely re-envision and re-contextualize those to create a specifically American story around the same concepts and themes. Time will tell what that actually looks like on screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I feel like this is one film that shouldn't be remade. Not to mention, Spike will no doubt try to fit some sort of race issue into the film

Mayoman911 wrote: »
    I feel like this is one film that shouldn't be remade. Not to mention, Spike will no doubt try to fit some sort of race issue into the film

Not everyone of his films is concerned with issues of race, Inside Man for example.

A remake of Old Boy could be quite interesting if they don't compromise on the ideas and themes played upon in the original. That they are using The Departed as a template is also somewhat assuring, nothing worse than a scene for scene remake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

No matter who directs it or who stars in it, it will NEVER match the original Oldboy film.

려차 sake Hollywood, make your own shit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Dog Lipstick

It really is a sad indictment of Hollywood that they can't manage to pull an original script and make a decent imaginative movie in modern times. Re-makes of foreign movies a few years after their release and comic book movies are all we seem to get with a few exceptions. Was a remake of The girl with the dragon tattoo, Let the right one in and now even Spiderman (I know it's not foreign) really necessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

It really is a sad indictment of Hollywood that they can't manage to pull an original script and make a decent imaginative movie in modern times. Re-makes of foreign movies a few years after their release and comic book movies are all we seem to get with a few exceptions. Was a remake of The girl with the dragon tattoo, Let the right one in and now even Spiderman (I know it's not foreign) really necessary?

Well why even make a movie at all? The three you mentioned there were all originally books of one form or another, so what you're getting on the screen first time around isn't technically original to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,260 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Josh Brolin is in also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

e_e wrote: »
    Honestly I would've thought Sympathy For Mr Vengeance would be more suited to Lee's style

Really? These films are nowhere near Lee's style. He's a great director with some astounding films, but in my opinion it is sheer stupidity giving him the Oldboy directorial role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ranz

Could be worse.

M Night Shymalan could be directing the remake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,127 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Or they could, you know, just not make it :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

It's gonna be tough to beat that corridor fight scene. Also the entire film

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

They already have I'm afraid.

The elevator being within such easy access adds further levels of depth to the protagonist in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

by uploading a video to youtube that never ****ing plays?

crafty indian bastards

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I really hate Flash. Video won't play for me either. But plays fine in HTML5 on my iPad.

Advertisement