Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding ticket advice

Options
  • 26-06-2010 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I got stopped for speeding 3 weeks ago in Dublin and was told that I'd get 2 points and a fine. I accept that the speeding was my fault and stupid, although accidental. I didn't have my license with me at the time and the guard told me there'd be a court summons because of this.

I still haven't received a letter about the fine - which I know I have to pay within 28days so I'm wondering what I should do? Is it 28days from the date of offense or from receiving the letter (how would they know when or if I received it?). I don't have that particular Garda's details to contact the station. I asked a Guard and they said I cannot pay it without the letter - I offered to pay it in the station.

Also, is that true about a court appearance for not having your license? I know it's law to carry it but I just forgot my wallet that day. I went to the local garda station a couple of days later and presented it anyway. It'd seem stupid that courts could be clogged up with these kinds of small misdemeanors.

Any advice on the above?

Thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

wait for the notification and go with it to your local P.O. and pay it.
    Dont worry about it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

28/56 days is from date on letter. Are you sure you were not asked to produce your licence within 10 days?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭seventyeight

Nah, the Guard who stopped me had a real chip on his shoulder. He defo didn't say produce it within 10days although that's what I did anyway - he said there'd be a mandatory court appearance for not carrying your license. I think he was just trying to put the sh*t up me.

I'm surprised it has taken so long to receive the letter too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

A lot of gardaí dont do it straight away. They do their traffic tickets and summons in bulk every few weeks. That might be the reason for the delay.

Advertisement