Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Passat Revealed

Options
  • 08-06-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭

From Auto express here

car_photo_374401_7.jpgB5.jpg
    Meet the new Volkswagen Passat. Our exclusive main picture – leaked from a German VW brochure – shows the upcoming family saloon without disguise for the first time.

Back in Issue 1,115, we brought you spy shots of a four-door testing in the Alps, wearing camouflage. But this image goes one better by revealing the production version.

As we suspected, the front end is revised, to fall in line with the rest of the VW family. With lower, wider air intakes and a narrower upper grille, the Passat now looks similar to the latest Polo and Golf head-on. The lights have been tweaked to include LED daytime running lamps, too.

Inside, the firm will add some class by carrying over the three-spoke multifunction steering wheel and chrome-rimmed dials from the sportier and more exclusive Passat CC. As a result, the newcomer will target the likes of the BMW 3-Series and Mercedes C-Class.

The current Passat’s range of petrol and diesel engines is likely to remain unchanged, with 1.4 and 1.8-litre TSI petrol units and 1.6 and 2.0-litre TDI diesels. A hot R model, featuring a 2.0-litre turbo delivering close to 270bhp, is set to follow.

VW will take the wraps off the new Passat at October’s Paris Motor Show, and it’s due on sale early next year.

I have to say I prefer my one (06 model). I don't like Golf's anyway and their front end doesn't suit the Passat imo.

EDIT: For comparison I've put up an old B5 (from a Carzone ad) which it bears a striking resemblence to!! :)

Comments

As a result, the newcomer will target the likes of the BMW 3-Series and Mercedes C-Class.
    Would it not be cannibalizing its own A4 sales as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Is it just me or do VW's latest products look dated on day 1? The Polo and now this, it's hard to see any forward progress with regard to styling.

Is it just me or do VW's latest products look dated on day 1? The Polo and now this, it's hard to see any forward progress with regard to styling.

An 04 reg plate wouldn't look out of place on the one pictured above.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

RoverJames wrote: »
    An 04 reg plate wouldn't look out of place on the one pictured above.

I'd agree with this myself. Actually it reminds me more of the older B5 (97-00) than the B5.5 (01-05) to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

looks kinda like the new honda accord

dont think anyone is making original cars anymore

the new peugeot looks like an audi tt

that insignia looks like a bmw and an avensis

why cant they make cars like they used too so much more character

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Isn't this more of a B6.5 as in the same way the Mark 6 Golf is a Mark 6.5?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Blame the safety regulations, cars are now restricted in design due to the safety regs. You cant have pop-up headlights or nice hood ornaments (Jaguar cat etc) because of them.

thats pretty craptastic ,only thing to do is stick with vintage or move to a diffrent country where youre not expected to be a sheep i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Inside, the firm will add some class by carrying over the three-spoke multifunction steering wheel and chrome-rimmed dials from the sportier and more exclusive Passat CC. As a result, the newcomer will target the likes of the BMW 3-Series and Mercedes C-Class.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I'd agree with this myself. Actually it reminds me more of the older B5 (97-00) than the B5.5 (01-05) to be honest.

Thats the first thing I thought - it looks like the B5.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I like it, even if it does look like the offspring of a phaeton and the new e-class.

Will the passat cc be getting an update to match the new styling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Some of the earlier photoshops etc looked quite good but that is terrible. I feel if they need to highlight that they are carrying over a steering wheel from what is basically an older model, they are in a bit of trouble with this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

God thats dull. Seems to be following the styling cues of the latest Golf which was a major retro grade step from the previous model

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭cson

Forgive my ignorance but I always had the impression that the Passat competed in the family car bracket alongside the Avensis/407/Mondeo types albeit a couple of k more expensive than those mentioned. Why have VW decided to go and target the executive class? Surely at that class the badge is hugely defining and if presented with the choice one would surely choose a BMW/Audi/Mercedes one over it? I know I would anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It's the new corporate face of VW ...makes everything look even more booooring than before

vwtransporter16.jpg
    polo20101.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

cson wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance but I always had the impression that the Passat competed in the family car bracket alongside the Avensis/407/Mondeo types albeit a couple of k more expensive than those mentioned. Why have VW decided to go and target the executive class? Surely at that class the badge is hugely defining and if presented with the choice one would surely choose a BMW/Audi/Mercedes one over it? I know I would anyway.

There isn't a huge difference in price (or quality) anymore between a decent spec Ford/VW or a Mercedes/BMW.

Anyway, they say that sh1te eveytime a new car is launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

The only thing that remains hopeful about this is that it's an AutoExpress image. So we'll wait till some real images are around!
    It'll be a face-lift, not an all-new model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

I don't like it. Well, from 1st glance at least. 1st Passat I've never liked. Those mirrors make it look like an elf. That bumper looks like it came from a C4 Picasso. That grill and bonnet looks like they're from the Touareg.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

That pic looks awful but I'll reserve judgement until I see more pics. I agree though, if they are telling us that the steering wheel is a main attractor then there's little worth talking about :(

As for the Passat being a challenger to BMW/Audi etc...it's more a Mondeo/Insignia challenger imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

What might have been...

VW_Passat_2011_001%5B1%5D_th_2.jpg

2011-volkswagen-passat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 scooby girl no1

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Blame the safety regulations, cars are now restricted in design due to the safety regs. You cant have pop-up headlights or nice hood ornaments (Jaguar cat etc) because of them.

I not sure is it to blame the safety regulations, others can be more creative.
    maybe they cann't afford a good designer

• Advertisement
Advertisement