Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bunny...

Options
  • 24-05-2010 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

What do I need to know? She's very nervous,2 months old but quite big,long nails too :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I wouldn't attempt to trim the nails until she's more at ease with you.
    Approach her quietly and slowly, try hand feeding and patience.
    There's some great sites with loads of info, just google, and some rabbit forums too.
    When you say "what do I need to know?" could you be more specific, I mean do you need info on food, health, handling, housing?
    If you give an idea, people can give more specific answers.
    Congrats on the bun, they are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭clairemcbear

mymo wrote: »
    I wouldn't attempt to trim the nails until she's more at ease with you.
    Approach her quietly and slowly, try hand feeding and patience.
    There's some great sites with loads of info, just google, and some rabbit forums too.
    When you say "what do I need to know?" could you be more specific, I mean do you need info on food, health, handling, housing?
    If you give an idea, people can give more specific answers.
    Congrats on the bun, they are great.

Ah everything ha I have food,and building a house later...handling and health I guess? Any interesting tips in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

https://www.brendaspets.ie/petcare/rabbit-care-sheet

http://petethevet.blogspot.com/2010/04/rabbits-on-ireland-am.html

Take a look around the web, someone on here will have some good links and advice.
    They are better kept in pairs and neutering is best for them as it prevents some health problems.
    They love toys, even boxes and stuff to play in, and can be house trained.
    http://www.breedersireland.ie/caresheets.html?id=4
    The last link has a list of foods to avoid and ones that can be given as treats.
    Any questions ask away, I haven't kept buns in years but there's loads of people on here that do, so you'll get lots of great advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I have bunnies too :)

Their nails might seem long, but mighn't be overgrown actually, it's hard to tell. If they are white nails and you can see the pink part inside the nail, then make sure to cut them just a bit longer than the pink part, or it'll bleed. If you can't do it then a vet can, because it's really hard to do for rabbits. If the rabbit is outdoor and you have a run then you can just put the run on concrete for a few hours a day and the rabbit's nails will wear themselves down.

For handling, well rabbits don't usually like being handled. Sometimes they're more laid back, but for most rabbits it's best to just pet them but not pick them up, unless you have to. If you have to lift them for a long distance then I'd put them in a box or carrier instead because if they wriggle they can scratch you badly. They can bite too, I've never been bitten but a nervous rabbit could bite you badly.

If you have to pick up the rabbit, then wear long sleeves and maybe even gloves if it's a wriggler. Lift the rabbit with both hands and try to support the whole body so it doesn't wriggle, since they can easily break their backs. Also be sure not to drop it. When you're holding it keep it close to your body, with one hand under the body (leave the back legs dangling) and one hand on the shoulder so it feels safe. It can even tuck it's head under your arm maybe.

Always be quiet and talk softly to the rabbit, and don't make any sudden movements. To tame the rabbit, feed it treats from your hand if it'll take them, or give it treats on the floor, and sit quietly by the rabbit/cage and talk to it softly, to get it used to your voice. Say its name sometimes too, because they do learn their names.

Is it a girl? If so, then the best thing to do is to get her spayed when she's a little older (not sure what age is the minimum). This will stop her getting moody when she comes in heat and she'll be friendlier. Also once she's spayed you could consider getting her a boyfriend! And also 80% of rabbits get uterine cancer by age 4 or 5 apparently, so if you spay them they won't get it and could live until about 10. :) You can get them vaccinated for myxomitosis and VHD. Is she indoors or outdoors? If outdoors then it's more likely she could get it because they get it from fleas from wild rabbits.

I think the two most important things with rabbits is that they have enough space and a good diet. The recommended cage/hutch size is 4' X 2' and they really need a run too. Do you know what breed it is or is it a mixed breed? I'd recommend a run at least 4' squared or so, which you can get for €50 or less. The bigger it is the happier she'll be and the more fun to watch. :) Even if she's indoors it's handy to have an indoor playpen, or you can let her run around a room that's safe (no electric cables, etc.) like a kitchen. It's best for them to have exercise for at least 4 hours a day, though all day is best :D
    www.zooplus.co.uk is the cheapest place for hutches and cages and runs, and it has free delivery.

And for diet, the most important thing is that they have unlimited hay (or grass if you have a garden, but no weedkiller/lawn feed or anything). Most of their diet should be hay. Then a good dry food. If it's a mixed food (not all the pellets are the same) then make sure she finishes it all and doesn't leave bits. If it's a pelleted food (all bits the same) then that's fine. Ideally they should also have green leafy veg everyday. You can get lettuces and stuff very cheap and one or two would probably last a week. Avoid iceberg lettuce cos it gives them diarrheoa but other lettuces are fine, and fresh herbs are good too, parsley, basil, etc. Don't give too much cabbage though. Other veggies like carrots, sweet potato, parsnip, peppers, swede, etc. can be given 2-3 times per week. Not too much as they have lots of sugar. Vegetable peelings and tops are fine. Oh but wash the veggies first. And fruit like apple, grapes, strawberries can be given as a treat once every week or too. They have a lot of sugar and acid, so just a small bit.

Also rabbits can be littertrained, if you do a google search you'll find loads of info about littertraining them. It's usually very easy, depending on the bun (neutered ones are better at it) and it makes cleaning them much easier. I'd recommend cleaning them out at least 2-3 times a week but if they're litter trained it only takes a second to clean them everyday.

I can't think of anything else right now, but if you have any questions then you can ask me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Hey congrats on the new bunny :)

Some good links for you:

www.irishrabbitcare.webs.com

www.irishrabbits.proboards.com

Advertisement