Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mist and dampness on car windows

Options
  • 08-01-2008 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

recently bought a 01 corolla hatchback.
    dont know if its the weather or what but it is very damp in the mornings with water building up on all inside windows.
    even when heating is on it takes time to clear properly.
    also the mist at times on the back side windows is really bad.
    is this common on this model or is it not water tight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I'm not sure about the specifics of the Corolla, but to help reduce such misting, some people suggest using the little silica gel sachets, like the ones you get with shoes and the like, to remove moisture from the air. I've never tried it, so I don't know how many you'd need or how effective the are.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Sounds like a water leak into the car somewhere. It might be under the carpet which is why you wouldn't cop it. Make sure the car is bone dry inside. Excessive misting is pretty much always a sign of a water leak.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

phutyle wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the specifics of the Corolla, but to help reduce such misting, some people suggest using the little silica gel sachets, like the ones you get with shoes and the like, to remove moisture from the air. I've never tried it, so I don't know how many you'd need or how effective the are.

I use the silca gel sachets. I have one in each of the four doors, one in the glovebox and two in the boot. I also have one floating about under the seat somewhere. Never have any condensation in the mornings. Car is very dry. Does the car have Air Con?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭settopbox

thanks for the help.
    will try the sachets do see if it improves.
    the problem is more misting and condensation on the windows than anything else, the interior and floor are bone dry none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

water ingress.................does it smell musty in the cabin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

Don't mean to insult you by asking the obvious, but have you checked the heater to make sure it is set to fresh air? - if on "recirc" the windows will not get cleared.

Also possible that you have a small leak in your heater matrix, but if this is the case you would probably smell the anti-freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

blackbox wrote: »
    Don't mean to insult you by asking the obvious, but have you checked the heater to make sure it is set to fresh air? - if on "recirc" the windows will not get cleared.

+1

just about to ask that

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Make sure the fans are on aswell. a small breeze could be enough to clear them.

Maybe the car got damp at some stage and was never dried out properly. Happened me before christmas. Left the windows open one night. Car got totally soaked. The windows kept misting up until i put a dehumidifier and heater into the car over night. The car doesn't mist up anymore,

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

you'd need a fair amount of silica gel to get rid of dampness, if you use silica gel you can dry it out in the oven and use it again, i've seen this used in old aircraft. I've also read of people using rice in a sock, but don't ask me how that works:confused:

www.airandwatercentre.com

Advertisement