Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boycott of Israeli goods

Options
  • 25-05-2004 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

I agree witht the article below and want to boycott Israeli goods. Anyone know what goods are from Israel and how you recognise them. They used to mark their fruit but have not done so for years. Would your local supermarket make you a list of goods from Israel.

"IRELAND/ISRAEL: A Fianna Fáil senator has called for a boycott of Israeli goods after the attack last week at a refugee camp in Rafah on the Gaza Strip.
    Senator Terry Leyden said a boycott was the "only action" that could have an effect on current events in Gaza and drew parallels with the boycott of South African goods by Dunnes Stores workers during the apartheid regime.
    "The boycott involving Dunnes Stores workers helped to bring down the South African regime. It is time that other workers decided to boycott all Israeli goods until Israel recognises the right of the Palestinian people to self-determination."
    A spokeswoman for the Israeli embassy in Dublin responded by saying the matter "would best be discussed directly and in private and not through the media". She added: "We would willing to meet with the respected senator.""
    Copyright@Irish

Israel - Your Opinion? 15 votes

Israel is fully correct in its actions against Palestine.
    0% 0 votes
    Israel is somewhat correct in its actions against Palestine.
    0% 0 votes
    What Israel is doing to Palestine is morally wrong.
    20% 3 votes
    Israel and Palestine are equally to blame.
    80% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Should this not be in politics? Its a political question and nothing to do with food/drink as you are assuming its food from israel that we need to Boycott.. since i have never heard of or seen any food from there in shops i can only imagine we all pretty much "boycott" it anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭halkar

mmmmm Jaffa Cakes? Hope they are not from Israel :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

sure its all goes to terrorism sure the talaban probably own weetabix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

You would be assuming wrong Lord of the rings boy. We import food from Israel all the time it is not just labelled as such. Do you think they grow oranges in Wicklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

No they probably dont grow oranges there BUT to my knowledge all food has a country on it. OK you can probably get away with product of EU but Israel is not in the EU so would have to have a country name.. Oranges for instance unless loose would usually have a country on them. I have never seen anything from Israel. So what is it exactly we import from there? Out of curiosity as i have no intention of going out of my way not to buy the stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

have never seen anything from Israel. So what is it exactly we import from there? Out of curiosity as i have no intention of going out of my way not to buy the stuff. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well if I knew that I would not be asking the question. The only products I know that come from Israel are Vegetables, Fruti, and Herbs. The most readily identifiable are JAFFA oranges. They come form Jaffa you see. Here is a list of other stuff one would not normally buy.
    http://boycottisraeligoods.org/modules11748.php
    I will write to Superquinn where I shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Its more than likely clothes et all, the ones kids get paid a penny an hour to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

not really relevant to the topic but if i am not mistaken... sometimes ago and may be still now... either AMD or Intel produce their chips in Malaysia and do the testings in Israel... The fact is both countries never have any diplomatic relationship... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

boycotting these basic products will hurt Palestinians more - they are the cheap labour that get used and abused

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by mart_max
    not really relevant to the topic but if i am not mistaken... sometimes ago and may be still now... either AMD or Intel produce their chips in Malaysia and do the testings in Israel... The fact is both countries never have any diplomatic relationship... :p

yeah intel have fabs in israel iirc, i think they make the pentiums there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

Well, last time I looked in my local SuperValue they had Israeli oranges, onions & herbs (Basil, Corriander etc..) for starters. This is pretty much the only reason I have never bought oranges, onions & herbs from SuperValue.

Perhaps I should have told them...

Advertisement