Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zakynthos or Kusadasi for start of August??

• 09-04-2014 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi Guys,

My girlfriend and I are going on holidays at the start of August...we have been looking at everywhere around Europe excluding the typical resorts in Spain and Majorca ..

The best options that we can see are Zakynthos or Kusadasi ??

I would like to know which is better and also if there are any other places that you would recommend instead ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Personally I'd go for Zakinthos over kusadasi any day. Tsilivi or alykanas resorts. It's a lovely island, good food and friendly locals. Corfu is also a lovely island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Went to Zakynthos yeas back with the missus when we first started going out. Didn't stay on the strip but stayed in Laganas and you could walk to the strip, bit quieter so you could stay in a restaurant local and hit a bar there if you wanted. Right by the beach too with its medium temperature water!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

+1 for Zakynthos. I stayed in Laganas....in a hotel just on the beach. Away from the madness of the strip but close enough to walk to, on the nights we felt like getting involved :)
    Lots to do too. Water park, quad biking up the mountains, private boat rental was cheap, boat trip to Smugglers Cover, swimming with turtles (rent a kayak for €5 and bring a snorkel and you can see them most days).

• Registered Users Posts: 31 erioalhbiu

Thanks a lot for the info guys - really appreciate the advice! Zakynthos is the clear favorite so I take it :)

There seems to be lots to do there as well which is great!!

My only concern now is what would the temperature be like at the start of August there ... are we talking 30 + ?? Also if any of you have anywhere better that we should consider other than Zakynthos and Corfu I would love to hear them ... ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I have never been to Kusadasi but I have been to Zakynthos 4 times and I would go back tomorrow if I could, it's a lovely island, I stayed in tsilivi, it has loads of restaurants and bars, but not too mad at night!,
    yeah August would be over 30 I would think, I have heard 34-35 degrees mentioned when I was there but it's great by the pool!, the weather was always consistent when I was there, i don't think I even saw a cloud in the sky!,
    You can do a day trip to Olympia aswell which I enjoyed even though it's a bit of a journey!

• Advertisement

I'm off to Zakynthos in May. First time there and cannot wait!

Is the trip to Olympia expensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Going back to Zante in June for the 4th time, we got married there in 2009, great great island.

Stay in Kalamaki, nice enough resort, great beach, far enough from Laganas (3miles) for it not to bother you but close enough to pop in.

The Olympia trip is cool, buy it from one of the agents in resort, not the rep (maybe EuroSky), we paid 40Euro i think, great day.

Check post 6 out here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055921692 , quite a few pics

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭tbeans

Zakintho!

Was there last summer and loved it. Stayed at Alexandra Beach Hotel- beautiful :)

It's very hot but cool by the beach if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

There is usually a sea-breeze especially in the afternoons on the Greek Islands in July/Aug (meltemi wind) that keeps temps from feeling tooo hot. I would stay in a hotel/apt that has air-con though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

tbeans wrote: »
    Zakintho!

Was there last summer and loved it. Stayed at Alexandra Beach Hotel- beautiful :)

It's very hot but cool by the beach if that helps.

Stayed in that exact same place two years ago. Absolutely agree! :D

The only reason I wouldn't go back is that the world is so big and there's so much to see, and I feel I'd be missing out.

However I could understand someone spending their holidays there every year. Lovely island with lovely food and scenery, beaches, friendly people too. And the Alexandra Beach is lovely - breakfast with a sea view. Yeah baby! :cool:

• Advertisement

I've been watching the Tsilivi live webcams faithfully since I booked the holiday in January.

Weathers getting warmer and the tables & signs are being set up. :)
    Here's the link http://www.gozakynthos.gr/live/tsilivi.beach.zante.webcam.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Is it possible to fly to zakynthos on regular flight or are you looking at package deal? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I'm off to Zakynthos in May. First time there and cannot wait!

Is the trip to Olympia expensive?

I think Olympia was €45 but they waited until we got on the ferry then asked us to pay an extra €9 for a ticket into The museum itself, that pissed me off a bit but it was well worth it to be honest! That is pretty much the only thing that is expensive on the island!

Thanks guys - some great advice :) Zakynthos does sound incredible!!

Just wondering if any of you have been to Kusadasi? I'm doing a lot of research on the place and there seems to be loads of things to do there (Turkish baths, boat tours, safaris, water parks, ephisis, markets, day trip to Greek island of Samos etc) and there seems to be a lot more to do there than in Zakynthos ?

That's why we are leaning slightly towards Kusadasi at the moment because we would like to have lots to do during the days...but would love to get an opinion from someone that was there as it may not be as good as it looks ..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Id choose bodrum over kusadasi, much nicer.You could take a spin upto kusadasi from bodrum too if you wanted to its only an hour or two.

I think we will go with Zakinthos following all the good feedback about the place :)

Could you recommend a nice resort to stay at here? And also I see that you can get trips to Athens also and an overnight stay ... has anyone done this while in Zakinthos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Went to Zakynthos a couple of years ago for a chilled out holiday, stayed in Kalamaki in apartments recommended by another boardsie. Dias apartments I think they were called. €200 for 2 sharing for 6 nights (including transfers), albeit towards end of September.

Loads of stuff to do during the day, shipwreck tour, blue caves etc. Drop me a PM if you need any details. I think i've a few PMs from the guy who recommended the place to me so i'll send on anything I can.

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    Went to Zakynthos a couple of years ago for a chilled out holiday, stayed in Kalamaki in apartments recommended by another boardsie. Dias apartments I think they were called. €200 for 2 sharing for 6 nights (including transfers), albeit towards end of September.

Loads of stuff to do during the day, shipwreck tour, blue caves etc. Drop me a PM if you need any details. I think i've a few PMs from the guy who recommended the place to me so i'll send on anything I can.

Think that was me as i stayed in Dias 3 times, top top place, really look after you.

^^^^ Scudzilla was the one who gave me all the info when I went actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Been to both. Zante is nicer but Kusadasi has more interesting things to do during the day. Not much of interest to see on Zante other than a shipwreck!
    If it's sun and eating only, go to Zante but if you like to experience different culture and day trips etc, go to Kusadasi

• Advertisement

Been to both. Zante is nicer but Kusadasi has more interesting things to do during the day. Not much of interest to see on Zante other than a shipwreck!
    If it's sun and eating only, go to Zante but if you like to experience different culture and day trips etc, go to Kusadasi

Guess you didn't check the island and trips out

Shipwreck tour (from the sea)
    The Blue caves boat trip
    Island tour including shipwreck from above
    Olympia day trip
    Kefalonia day trip
    Athens overnight trip
    Turtle spotting on a submarine (only 15E and a must)
    The regular trips to the water park and greek nights

And that's just off the top of my head

Thanks guys,

We've decided to go with Zakinthos in the end and are staying in Katerina Palace in Argassi ... anyone been or know anything about the accomadation ..

I know that its basic but I guess as long as its comfortable it will be fine :)

erioalhbiu wrote: »
    Thanks guys,

We've decided to go with Zakinthos in the end and are staying in Katerina Palace in Argassi ... anyone been or know anything about the accomadation ..

I know that its basic but I guess as long as its comfortable it will be fine :)

Argassi is great, not heard much of Katerina Palace but should be grand, Trip Advisor reviews are pretty good, not amazing but good.

Have you booked a package or just flights?

Yeah looking forward to it now ... some of the reviews are poor alright but majority seem fairly positive so hopefully it will be ok :)

Booked a package .. we booked with a local travel agent so get it at discounted price which wasn't too bad - 5th to 12th August ..

Just having a search around now for trips, outings etc that we can do :) ..

Yeah looking forward to it now ... some of the reviews are poor alright but majority seem fairly positive so hopefully it will be ok :)

Booked a package .. we booked with a local travel agent so get it at discounted price which wasn't too bad - 5th to 12th August ..

Just having a search around now for trips, outings etc that we can do :) ..

As you're only there for a week i'd forget the overnight to Athens, and the day trip to Kefalonia, very tiring.

If you drive then hire a car, 30euro a day, ya can see the whole island in a day, keep the car for 2 days and just potter about finding places.

As for shipwreck beach, it's great and all BUT i wouldn't bother with the boat trip, the beach itself is very small and when 10+ boats descend on it it gets way too packed, view it from above on the island tour, or if you have the car do it yourself, leave early in mornign, there will be nobody about.

Try and get the Olympia trip in, that's around 35euro (an extra 9 for museum ebtrance) but that was one of the highlights of our holiday, seeing the statue of Zeus.

Also the turtle spotting submarine is cool, only half day, 15euro and ya get to see them.

Fantastic - thank you so much for that advice Scudzilla.

Ya I drive so we'll def hire out a car for at least a day or 2 and check out these places ourselves. Will make sure to do the Olympia trip as well as I have heard lots about that and as you say was one of your highlights!

We were thinking of Kefalonia/Athens only towards the end of the week if we have seen and done everything by then - it might be a nice change to spend a night somewhere different but we will see how things go I guess ..

I've been looking at other stuff and there seems to be loads to do anyway: Shipwreck, smugglers cove, water park, Olympia, submarine, go-karting, horse riding, water sports, scuba diving .....

Really cant wait ... as long as I can stick the heat that is :) !!!!!!

Fantastic - thank you so much for that advice Scudzilla.

Ya I drive so we'll def hire out a car for at least a day or 2 and check out these places ourselves. Will make sure to do the Olympia trip as well as I have heard lots about that and as you say was one of your highlights!

We were thinking of Kefalonia/Athens only towards the end of the week if we have seen and done everything by then - it might be a nice change to spend a night somewhere different but we will see how things go I guess ..

I've been looking at other stuff and there seems to be loads to do anyway: Shipwreck, smugglers cove, water park, Olympia, submarine, go-karting, horse riding, water sports, scuba diving .....

Really cant wait ... as long as I can stick the heat that is :) !!!!!!

As you're driving if you go to St Nicholas port, on the far side of the island and get a boat trip around the blue caves (take swimming gear as ya get to go in), the water is crystal blue, about 50ft deep but so clear ya can see right to the bottom. The boat trip will be about 7/8euro, whereas the reps will charge ya 35 for the blue caves trip

Great - will make sure to take that advice - sounds brilliant, really cheap aswel !!

Is there anything else you would recommend us to do other than what we said above ... i guess we have covered most things there anyway..:)

Great - will make sure to take that advice - sounds brilliant, really cheap aswel !!

Is there anything else you would recommend us to do other than what we said above ... i guess we have covered most things there anyway..:)

Most things are covered, a lot of places will do a traditional Greek Night once a week for no extra cost, but you have to book.

We're heading over for 2 weeks in June, will update ya when we get back about anything thats changed much.

• Advertisement

Fantastic - thank you so much - really appreciate that :)

Enjoy your time there :)

Two other places I'd recommend are Porto Limnionas Beach and Xygia Sulphur Beach. Both would require a car.

Oh and for a nice lunch with a spectacular view, take a spin to Mizithres Rocks, Keri. <-- That is the actual view as you sit in the outdoor restaurant. It's located here

fletch wrote: »
    Porto Limnionas

erioalhbiu, this is the place I mentioned in the last paragraph of my PM that I couldn't remember the name of, definitely worth a visit.

We grabbed a bus to it, had lunch in the cafe/restaurant on the cliff top and then went swimming and lazed about the water for the day.

Limnionas is great and all but getting in and out of the water is a complete pain in the hole, rocks all the way.

Porto Vromi is MUCH better IMO

IMG_0262.jpg

scudzilla wrote: »
    Limnionas is great and all but getting in and out of the water is a complete pain in the hole, rocks all the way.

Porto Vromi is MUCH better IMO

I think it's probably personal preference. I had a knee operation 2 weeks before heading to Zante (part of the reason for my trip! Can't beat warm weather recuperation), can't say I encountered any issues getting in and out of the water. Found Porto Vromi less peaceful due to the noise of boats and the fact it was busier.

I recommend going to both OP, and have the deciding vote!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Ahh lads Ive been here all morn7ng trying to book a holiday to zante for 2 adults and 2 children in june and cant find a thing!!!!

• Advertisement

snowbabe wrote: »
    Ahh lads Ive been here all morn7ng trying to book a holiday to zante for 2 adults and 2 children in june and cant find a thing!!!!

Problem you have is since Thomas Cook went tits up the only company doing Zante is Falcon, and for flights alone you're looking at 450+ pp!!

A far cheaper way is flying from the UK, a bit more hassle in that though.

2 ways to do it, Ryanair to Gatwick then Easyjet, or Ryanair to Brussels then onto Zante, again with Ryanair.

Ya could also book a package from Manchester with Thomas Cook but i think ya need a UK card to do that

We're going in June so may see ya

Ye fletch I did they only have AI which I didnt want as teenagers love going out at night!

Ahh scudzila I'm on it!! Wouldnt mind brussels and spending day in brugges also! Would I then just book accom8dation seperately? L8oking for nice apt on beach with watersports for the girls,Im addled with looking at everything since 9 this morning.I really want to go to tsilvi now!

Ahh scudzila I'm on it!! Wouldnt mind brussels and spending day in brugges also! Would I then just book accom8dation seperately? L8oking for nice apt on beach with watersports for the girls,Im addled with looking at everything since 9 this morning.I really want to go to tsilvi now!

I ALWAYS book direct for apartments, ya get a much better deal (free aircon, safe etc) and you know the money is going directly to the hotel, rather than the travel company taking a huge cut

• Advertisement

Brilliant im on tripadvisor looking for apartments now,all focused again scudzilla thanks so much.

Brilliant im on tripadvisor looking for apartments now,all focused again scudzilla thanks so much.

Have Falcon got any fligths only available? Maybe worth giving them a call, sometimes they have them but not available on web

€241 flying on 4th Jun returning 11th Jun (Ryanair + Jet2). Not sure it's worth a 12hr journey time for such a short distance. I'd definitely pay the extra for the falcon flight

Edit - €248 with ~8hr flight on the Monday

One year, 2010 i think, we got a cheap direct flight from Dublin and flew back via Gatwick with Easyjet.
    Got a hotel at Gatwick for the night, ended up saving around 50Euro each but wouldn't do it again, too much hanging around.

Hopefully Ryanair will expand next year and fly to more Greek Islands, rather than just Chania (Crete)

Easyjet have flight and hotel in Tsilivi from £250 pp. That's flying from London Gatwick.

Flights to Gatwick are cheap as chips.

To add my tuppence worth. I flew to Gatwick, late evening flight. Booked into a Yotel in the airport. Slept for 8 hours then got up and got an early morning EasyJet flight to Zante.
    Yotel was dead handy, it's basically a bed, tv and bathroom. All in the South terminal so no hassle of getting a taxi etc. Similar to Scudzilla's method above but hanging around was minimal as I basically just watched tv for an hour and then slept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

is there any direct flights from Dublin to Zakynthos?

I just checked skyscanner - Dublin or Belfast to Zante and no direct flights come up. I chose July as it is peak holiday season. Looks like it's a package deal from Ireland or flying to London and getting Zante flight from there.

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    is there any direct flights from Dublin to Zakynthos?

Only direct flights now are with Falcon, once a week, departing DUB on a Tuesday at 14:10.

You can book Flight only with them too, like we did, price is around 450rtn, expensive if you were looking at going via UK then not that much dearer, for a lot less hassle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Yea I ended up deciding on Rome cos the cost and time of flights was a dick

• Advertisement
Advertisement