Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

selectabell adjustable weights

Options
  • 18-04-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/bodymax-25kg-selectabell-dumbbells-with-stand.php

hey, I purchased a nice bench and squat rack, along with olympic bar and weights etc. I was looking at the above equipment (adjustable dumbell link), as I don't have much space and my current dumbell is argos variety. Kinda annoying changing bits, and screwing this on and off and so forth.
    I was wondering if anyone had used the above or those type and how good/bad they were.

Thanks in advance,
    Dead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

I have them they are a bit wider than standard dumbells but very handy for changing weight they operate very smoothly!
    Mine are sitting in the shed not being used if you want to make me an offer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭southeastg

I had the Bowflex ones a while ago. There always on done deal if you don't mind buying second hand or just take puntosporting up on his offer. They are great time savers for drop sets or burn sets. If you are getting them make sure you get the stands tho. The reason I don't have them anymore is because they are too bulky and I found they restricted range of movement on certain exercises. However cause they are so big it looks like your moving a **** load of weight :) just In case the missus walks in on you. I opted for individual hex dumbells, they take up more space obviously but I just prefer them. If your ordering off powerhouse your better off ringing them as they might do u a deal but their customer service after you order is appalling . Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

The ones you linked are crap as are Bowflex.

Get Powerblocks or Ironmasters depending on your preference.

mdwexford wrote: »
    The ones you linked are crap as are Bowflex.

Get Powerblocks or Ironmasters depending on your preference.
    your talking from experience?

your talking from experience?

I am.

I own Powerblocks that I got from the UK, I preferred the quicker weight changes as opposed to the more traditional dumbbell style of Ironmasters.

All other selectable Dumbbells don't compare to the above two.

• Advertisement

I am.

I own Powerblocks that I got from the UK, I preferred the quicker weight changes as opposed to the more traditional dumbbell style of Ironmasters.

All other selectable Dumbbells don't compare to the above two.
    You have experience of ones you own but not the ones you have criticized prob just read on the internet! The selectables are fine but none of these adjustable dumbbells are as good as standard ones they are just convenient for home gyms etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deadlobster

Food for thought guys, I appreciate the answers. I'll sit tight and have a think. I own a house with the bro and we are buying a big shed. Might wait and see if I have the room for set/half set of the normal ones before I make a decision.

You have experience of ones you own but not the ones you have criticized prob just read on the internet! The selectables are fine but none of these adjustable dumbbells are as good as standard ones they are just convenient for home gyms etc!

You have no idea what I have experience of.

Your dumbbells are crap, end of story.

Also reading reviews and other peoples thoughts on things is generally how to make a well informed decision.

Obviously a set of pro styles would be better (which I also previously had so I hope you allow me to comment on them) but takes up way too much space and also cost a fortune when you are buying heavier sets.

You have no idea what I have experience of.

Your dumbbells are crap, end of story.

Also reading reviews and other peoples thoughts on things is generally how to make a well informed decision.

Obviously a set of pro styles would be better (which I also previously had so I hope you allow me to comment on them) but takes up way too much space and also cost a fortune when you are buying heavier sets.

I just have a problem with you claiming the selectabells are crap when they are not you dial in the weight you want and then lift the weight they are just a different take on adjustable dumbells!
    Why are they crap?

Build quality not that good, don't want plastic on anything that heavy that you lift over your face.
    Easier to break.
    Can't get add on weight for them so your maxed out at 25kg if you buy the ones posted above.

Maybe those ones aren't as bad as Bowflex but they look very similar.

Save the extra for Powerblocks imo.

• Advertisement

The seletables are steel and they are 32.5 kg each?

The ones linked above are 25kg.
    Either way you are maxed out at 32.5kg in the other ones as well.

There as plastic bits as well according to what I'm reading?

Advertisement