Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making a guinness cake

Options
  • 21-04-2014 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

have to make a cake for a leaving do, and came across this

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-guinness-cake-3086

anyone made it ?

sounds like 400g sugar is excessive...........

happen to love. The best way of describing it is to say that it's like gingerbread without the spices. There is enough sugar - a certain understatement here - to counter any potential bitterness of the Guinness, and although I've eaten versions of this made up like a chocolate sandwich cake, stuffed and slathered in a rich

anyone got any other guinness cake recipes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I've made this before. Was delicious. Instructions are (overly) clear and it was tasty, but the recipe for the icing made too much IMO. I ended up discarding a lot of the icing simply because I couldn't fit any more on the cake itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

I've made this before. Was delicious. Instructions are (overly) clear and it was tasty, but the recipe for the icing made too much IMO. I ended up discarding a lot of the icing simply because I couldn't fit any more on the cake itself.

that looks like what I want to do alright, anything you would do differently if you were doing it again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Just make less icing :) Both the cake and the icing is lovely, but maybe add a little more cocoa than specified to the cake.

I haven't tried it, but perhaps if I cut it in half and put the extra icing in the middle, it could have worked. But then the visual effect of a pint of guinness cake would be lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

aidanki wrote: »
    have to make a cake for a leaving do, and came across this

.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-guinness-cake-3086

anyone made it ?

sounds like 400g sugar is excessive...........

happen to love. The best way of describing it is to say that it's like gingerbread without the spices. There is enough sugar - a certain understatement here - to counter any potential bitterness of the Guinness, and although I've eaten versions of this made up like a chocolate sandwich cake, stuffed and slathered in a rich

anyone got any other guinness cake recipes

I made that recipe before and it turned out lovely

Personal preference I guess but I wouldn't be keen on the one posted above with the coffee and baileys

Advertisement