Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just watched a trailer for a movie called the Rover and thought to myself Guy Pearce could definitely play Joel.

Just to give you an idea.

the-rover-guy-pearc628e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Caveat_

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaXbWGzlMFHGFvm0u236Sh-mVpPByKQ-KNOOaH0fo2P9UDdm3TrA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Could post a picture of literally any man with dark hair and stubble.

That you definitely could but I do think Josh Brolin or Guy Pearce would be good choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Caveat_

Could post a picture of literally any man with dark hair and stubble.

Professional actor would probably be best though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

ThirdMan wrote: »
    For that matter, has there ever been a successful video game based on a film? There's probably a few of them alright but nothing comes to mind.

Game that I thought were very good are Robocop 3 which was way better than the film
    Dune 1 and 2 are both fantastic games
    Blade Runner was an excellent adventure game
    Star Wars has spawned some excellent games such as Knights of the old Republic, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Jedi Knight III: Jedi Academy and Republic Commando

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's as if they overheard the hype with people saying "Wow, this game is great, it's almost like a movie" and thought "Hmm, let's make a Last Of Us movie!"

Seems really lazy to try and spin a project off it. If they're specifically trying to turn a game into a movie, try do one that's a little more unique. The Last Of Us is a great character story, but it's nothing ground-breaking. There's nothing in it that hasn't been used in movies that have already been made.

To be honest I think that's why this has the best chance of any video game to make it so far.

Most movies based on games are ridiculous to begin with while the Last of Us is a far more personal story.

That said, I really would have loved to have seen a Bioshock movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Maisie Williams from Game of Thrones has had discussions for the role of Ellie according to the game and film's writer Neil Druckmann.

Raimi talked a little about what to expect,
    “It doesn’t need to be different,” Raimi said. “It just needs to capture the core of what made ‘The Last of Us’ special to so many fans.”Both Druckmann and Raimi promised a “laser focus” on Joel and Ellie’s relationship in “The Last of Us.”

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/games/comic-con-sam-raimi-neil-druckmann-surprise-with-last-of-us-panel/#/0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

That's insane, just an hour ago, that's exactly who I was thinking would be Ellie perfectly. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Maisie Williams would be absolutely fantastic as Ellie. Anyone else would be a disappointment now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

To be honest, I love how it's going to be a condensed version, how many videogames stories get told as a condesnsed version of what they are (the original material)

If Hideo Kojima were to ever make the MGS movie, I'd hope it'd be the Shadow Moses story.

Though David Hayter did write another script that was described by others as a "digital Apocalypse Now for the modern age"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Anybody watch Maggie? Watching it now and all I can think is Joel and Ellie.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

To be honest, I really can't see how this'll work. The acting an dialogue in TLOU is what makes it so good, its what makes you buy into it so much. You believe the relationship development between Ellie and Joel (and then in the DLC her friend, which was stronger again).

I think ANY tinkering with that and it just loses it. The little mannerisms in Joel's southern twang, the laid back attitude of Ellie, the subtle humour, the understanding of Joel's angst etc., etc. All of that is brought to life by the actors AND they have so much time to be subtle because of the length of the game, which you won't get in a movie.

I'm open minded, I love the game so I would gladly watch a film based on it, but I think there's an element of Raimi being a bit fanboi'ish here and just covering something he likes. Art rarely works in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Anybody watch Maggie? Watching it now and all I can think is Joel and Ellie.

Actually... Only watched 30 mins... Was too dreadful to continue.

Advertisement