Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

text error in SVG format

Options
  • 20-01-2014 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I currently design some logos in idraw. Its a vector based drawing tool similar to AI at a fraction of the price. It has some really great features.

Recently I designed a logo for a client and sent it by email. I sent it in PNG, JPEG and SVG. I advised them to use SVG for vehicle graphics.
    the png and jpeg are perfect but the SVG is showing the text twice. one in the colours i made it in and the second in the background in black. The text has gradient and drop shadows.
    I have tried converting to EPS and it still doesnt fix it.

Any help appreciated.

view image below

Untitled12_zps9ff47359.png
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

fishy21 wrote: »
    I currently design some logos in idraw. Its a vector based drawing tool similar to AI at a fraction of the price. It has some really great features.

Recently I designed a logo for a client and sent it by email. I sent it in PNG, JPEG and SVG. I advised them to use SVG for vehicle graphics.
    the png and jpeg are perfect but the SVG is showing the text twice. one in the colours i made it in and the second in the background in black. The text has gradient and drop shadows.
    I have tried converting to EPS and it still doesnt fix it.

Any help appreciated.

view image below

Untitled12_zps9ff47359.png

This thread would probably do a lot better in the design forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

view image below

That's just a PNG of the SVG output.

SVG is an XML file format.
    Can you not attach/post that ?

I thought it was a shadow effect, but the black text has a lower case "e", while the foreground text has an upper case "E".

Ps. the logo looks like an elderly hiker with a walking stick.
    Can you not put spray droplets coming out of the spray gun and
    maybe a hose section connecting it to the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fishy21

yes i just converted it to a png so i could put it up on the forum.

It messed up the design but you get what i mean with the text showing in the back. Its very strange.

Is it something to do with SVG format and the gradients/shadows?

I dont have the ability to draw in an EPS file which would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

If it was a shadow effect I'd expect the shadows to match the text.
    But it doesn't, there's a mismatch of lower and upper case letters.

Open up the SVG file as a text file and perform a case insensitive search for "pest".

If you only find one match, then I'd suspect the SVG renderer is at fault.

If you find a match for both "PEST" and "Pest" (case sensitive), then either you typed it in twice when designing the logo or your editor might have a bug in it when trying to create simple shadow effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

OP, where the SVG is showing text twice? I mean I see it in the attached image, but does it show in the idraw as well?
    Have you tried inkscape?
    http://www.inkscape.org/en/

• Advertisement

PrzemoF wrote: »
    OP, where the SVG is showing text twice? I mean I see it in the attached image, but does it show in the idraw as well?
    Have you tried inkscape?
    http://www.inkscape.org/en/

thanks for your replies.

no, in idraw all is normal until you export it. then the text shoes at the back as well.

I havent tried inkscape yet. I was doing research on whether to use AI or Inkscape. What is this i hear about CMYK on inscape? you need this setup for print design? Does inkscape support this, or is it just RGB.

Regards

OK, so the exported SVG is broken? Have you tried i.e. firefox to see how it renders the SVG? Can you strip the green man and upload it here, so we can have a look?

Inkscape supports CMYK, but that depends what you need (printing directly from inkscape won't work). More here:
    http://codewideopen.blogspot.ie/2010/10/inkscape-does-support-cmyk.html
    http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/getting-cmyk-colors-from-inkscape-to-scribus

Scribus is another piece of FLOSS software: http://scribus.net/canvas/Scribus

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I havent tried inkscape yet. I was doing research on whether to use AI or Inkscape. What is this i hear about CMYK on inscape? you need this setup for print design? Does inkscape support this, or is it just RGB.

http://codewideopen.blogspot.ie/2010/10/inkscape-does-support-cmyk.html

thanks for the links. very helpful.

I can't upload to here for everyone to see. I need the file with an internet link but photobucket wont take SVG format.

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Dropbox, and post a public link

• Advertisement

i thought i sorted it by changing the font because the font i was using was downloading from font squirel.

but then i used a different text again and you can still see it but its not as bad.

heres a link to how it looked with the downloaded font.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0ms0gj37nh4z0d/Untitled%2012.svg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I opened it in Inkscape. Each word consists of three paths (the outline, the gradient fill and the shadow) and a separate text object (the unwanted lowercase part). Looks like idraw is frigging something up.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I opened it in Inkscape. Each word consists of three paths (the outline, the gradient fill and the shadow) and a separate text object (the unwanted lowercase part). Looks like idraw is frigging something up.

thanks for doing that. Yeah it looks like its an idraw/text problem when exporting to SVG. It happens with some font but not with all.

Anybody have an idea whats the best format for signwriting on vehicles?
    I presume EPS. But would SVG or PDF not do?

Regards

Same in firefox - looks like idraw export is broken.

Advertisement