Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important technologies for developer to have experience with

Options
  • 15-01-2014 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Semi-hypothetical question:

Say you were working for a company that used little 3rd party tools/technologies/libraries etc. What would you say would be good to get experience with in your free time in order to stay up to date/have transferrable skills?

For example I've been looking at Hibernate, Spring and Gradle the last few days. What skills/experience do you guys think are important for a developer to have? I'm a Java developer but it's probably good to branch out a bit too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Semi-hypothetical question:

Say you were working for a company that used little 3rd party tools/technologies/libraries etc. What would you say would be good to get experience with in your free time in order to stay up to date/have transferrable skills?

For example I've been looking at Hibernate, Spring and Gradle the last few days. What skills/experience do you guys think are important for a developer to have? I'm a Java developer but it's probably good to branch out a bit too.

For Java the default enterprise stack, i.e the one to get you a job quickest. Is maven, Spring and Hibernate.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

I've been asking myself the same question over the last year or so (3rd year student in Software Systems Dev, not working in the industry yet apart from 6 months placement).

In my opinion, in order to play it safe and give yourself the most options:

-Some familiarity with at least one server side stack. For me (even though I am studying Java at college) it is .Net. MVC, Web API, IIS, OWIN, Azure etc. Chrome's suggestions are definitely solid though and this is the route I would have taken if I didn't like MVC and Visual Studio so much.

-Web technologies. For me this is trying to get out of my comfort zone and learn vanilla Javascript properly, as well as libraries/frameworks like Angular and Breeze. HTML5 in the wider sense of the word. Keeping up with developments in ECMAScript and CSS etc.

-Native mobile. For me this is learning Android, although I am very interested in the work Xamarin are doing in the cross-platform space.

Advertisement