Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cambridge Motors

Options
  • 16-04-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi, anyone bought off these guys? http://www.cambridgemotorco.ie I found and old thread online here but wondering if they are still ok? They seem to have a few decent cars.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Established since 1990, so at least that has to be something good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭Cars&cars

hi

if its something like a Merk or BMW X5 - make sure to ask if its imported, try to check that it has paper work showing the dates of import, then see the last services before import, and that the mileage matches up with the dates post import, thats really important.

sometimes a car in Jan 2010 can have 60k miles and a service, and by April 2011 have 100k miles, but be clocked back to 65k miles with a recent service, a very very recent service is one thing to raise suspcisions - ie a service for sale, it can be used to cover tracks

always get a mechanical inspection by a mechanic, and do background check on car via cartell.ie or hpi.com

ask a million and one questions and the answers should all be correct

even phone companies in UK who did service work, and go back into history

thats as much as you can do

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

I bought my first car from them 4 years ago and I'd recommend them - couldn't fault them to be honest. (In fact I still have the salesman's card in my wallet, a fella called James). One of the few dealers that I found enthusiastic and willing to make an effort.

Overall, the car was priced better than anywhere else I looked, and they even came down a little on the price, it was a very clean car, they gave me a 6 month comprehensive warranty which they honoured without any hassle (the rear wiper broke off and the radiator leaked, and they replaced it with a new one - after that I never had any trouble from the car). All that on a '00 Astra which was definitely cheaper and less upmarket than anything else they had for sale at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭rubberdecky

I went to P/X a car off them last year but didnt end up buying after.
    Found them very straight forward and reasonable though, just changed my mind on the car itself.
    I had a deal agreed pretty much but bailed and the guy was sound about it.
    Cars all seemed to be in good nick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mackrel

Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Cars&cars wrote: »
    hi

if its something like a Merk or BMW X5 - make sure to ask if its imported, try to check that it has paper work showing the dates of import, then see the last services before import, and that the mileage matches up with the dates post import, thats really important.

sometimes a car in Jan 2010 can have 60k miles and a service, and by April 2011 have 100k miles, but be clocked back to 65k miles with a recent service, a very very recent service is one thing to raise suspcisions - ie a service for sale, it can be used to cover tracks

always get a mechanical inspection by a mechanic, and do background check on car via cartell.ie or hpi.com

ask a million and one questions and the answers should all be correct

even phone companies in UK who did service work, and go back into history

thats as much as you can do

Is that just general advice on buying a secondhand car or is it meant to be specific to a punter about to do business with the crowd the OP is asking about?

If it is just general advice then it would be only fair to point that out, otherwise someone reading your post would think that references to clocked cars is a subtle hint that they might not be the most honest people in the business.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Get a history report e.g. motorcheck
    Get the warranty in writing.
    Get it professionally checked before you buy.
    Get hold of the service history.

I think I've covered the important things here.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mackrel

kbannon wrote: »

I think I've covered the important things here.

Thanks for the help. Can you recommend a good mechanic that might take a look at a car for me?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Unfortunately not.
    Possibly someone else on here could.

Advertisement