Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance in UK

• 28-09-2010 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi everyone,

I recently moved to UK and still driving Irish Reg Car and Irish driving license.

I am in the process of changing my reg to UK. But, before I do that, I need to get insurance on my irish reg car. The insurance quotes i got so far seems to be very expensive than ireland (have 9 years of no claims in IRL).

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to get reasonable quotation for insuance?

Regards
    Chandu

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

chandu72 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I recently moved to UK and still driving Irish Reg Car and Irish driving license.

I am in the process of changing my reg to UK. But, before I do that, I need to get insurance on my irish reg car. The insurance quotes i got so far seems to be very expensive than ireland (have 9 years of no claims in IRL).

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to get reasonable quotation for insuance?

Regards
    Chandu

I am remarkably surprised that you are being given quotes at all. When I first moved over (early 2010), insurance companies wouldn't even entertain a quote without a UK registration plate. You need to satisfy the DVLA criteria for issuing plates to imported cars first - which for most fairly modern Irish cars should probably just be your speedometer markings changed to included both mph/kph. The DVLA have a comprehensive list of requirements which you should reference to be sure though, and they'll send out a pack if you order it.

There are a lot of insurance companies in the UK that you'll never have ever heard of; some good, some crap. I had to do a bit of calling around to get a good price too, Aviva - despite being my insurerer in Ireland (Focus 2006 1.4) would not recognise most of my NCB - and were trying to quote me roughly three times the cost (2008 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi). In the end I was recommended call NFU-Mutual (National Farmers Union) given that I'm based in Yorkshire, and I ended up with a price below what I was paying in Ireland (with exchange rate factored in also).

I'm surprised though that you're being given the run around with 9 years worth though.

Bottom line, call around, use confused.com, use brokers, etc. but you'll need to shop around and do your homework. And be persistent.

Edit: Just a thought; how much of your NCB is as a named driver (e.g. learner on someone else's car)? UK insurers wont recognise it at all as far as I can tell. If it's not, then disregard the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 chandu72

Thanks Lemming for the quick response.

I tried in confused.com and also quinndirect. I visited DVLA and they would not register without insurance, mot, certificate conformity from the manufacturer etc. I am in the process of completing them. I understand that i can get temporary insurance based on chassis no. and currently i am driving my car using irish insurance.

My car (honda) was actually imported from japan to IRL and has kms spedometer.

Do you know how long i can drive using irish insurance?

My NCB is completely on myself, no named driver etc.

Thanks once again.
    Lemming wrote: »
    I am remarkably surprised that you are being given quotes at all. When I first moved over (early 2010), insurance companies wouldn't even entertain a quote without a UK registration plate. You need to satisfy the DVLA criteria for issuing plates to imported cars first - which for most fairly modern Irish cars should probably just be your speedometer markings changed to included both mph/kph. The DVLA have a comprehensive list of requirements which you should reference to be sure though, and they'll send out a pack if you order it.

There are a lot of insurance companies in the UK that you'll never have ever heard of; some good, some crap. I had to do a bit of calling around to get a good price too, Aviva - despite being my insurerer in Ireland (Focus 2006 1.4) would not recognise most of my NCB - and were trying to quote me roughly three times the cost (2008 Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi). In the end I was recommended call NFU-Mutual (National Farmers Union) given that I'm based in Yorkshire, and I ended up with a price below what I was paying in Ireland (with exchange rate factored in also).

I'm surprised though that you're being given the run around with 9 years worth though.

Bottom line, call around, use confused.com, use brokers, etc. but you'll need to shop around and do your homework. And be persistent.

Edit: Just a thought; how much of your NCB is as a named driver (e.g. learner on someone else's car)? UK insurers wont recognise it at all as far as I can tell. If it's not, then disregard the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Thanks Lemming for the quick response.

I tried in confused.com and also quinndirect. I visited DVLA and they would not register without insurance, mot, certificate conformity from the manufacturer etc. I am in the process of completing them. I understand that i can get temporary insurance based on chassis no. and currently i am driving my car using irish insurance.

My car (honda) was actually imported from japan to IRL and has kms spedometer.

Do you know how long i can drive using irish insurance?

My NCB is completely on myself, no named driver etc.

Thanks once again.

I would contact your Irish insurerer asap and a) check what cover you have abroad and b) for what duration. It's typically 30 days, but if you notify them that'll be longer they'll be able to advise you if additional steps are needed.

As for the DVLA, you need to show proof that your car conforms to the criteria set down by the DVLA - that'll be some sort of garage inspection/fitting work plus letter from said garage that work was carried out. If the car is over three years old you'll need an MOT as well I think. But beyond that I can't help since I eventually sold my car back home and got a UK car as I needed to change to diesel given the mileage I am doing on a daily basis.

The DVLA requirements are comprehensive and will tell you everything you need to do (i.e. take the time and read through it all) in order to get a UK plate issued. I've never heard of temporary insurace with chassis number though. Any conversations with insurance agents ended as soon as I could not produce a UK plate number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If it's a Jap import it won't have a Certificate of Conformity (European Certificate of Conformity). I think they have to do a single vehicle type approval test.

Will need new clocks with MPH, rear fogs and possibly a new windscreen before it can be registered.

The vehicle was already registered in ireland three years back, so all the requirements of european standard have been met. It has passed NCT twice.

Is it posible to get European Certificate of Conformity from Ireland?
    R.O.R wrote: »
    If it's a Jap import it won't have a Certificate of Conformity (European Certificate of Conformity). I think they have to do a single vehicle type approval test.

Will need new clocks with MPH, rear fogs and possibly a new windscreen before it can be registered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The vehicle was already registered in ireland three years back, so all the requirements of european standard have been met. It has passed NCT twice.

Is it posible to get European Certificate of Conformity from Ireland?

I don't think Ireland has a single vehicle type approval process, so I'm not sure whether any checks are made on the road worthiness of Japanese Imports - it's this that you would require if it exists.

I'd say you'll need to submit the car for Single Vehicle Approval in the UK as there is no CoC.

Thanks ROR. I am waiting for "Certificate of Conformity" from honda. Spoke to Honda, they said that they will check with Ireland & provide me with "Certificate of Conformity" as it has already registered in IRL based on Certificate of Conformity given by Honda, Japan.

If Honda does not give Certificate of Cnformity, I have no option but to go for Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) (earlier it is called Single Vehicle Approval), but I don't have any documents except Irish Regn Cert and NCT. The IVT forms requires lot of informatin and additional documents.
    R.O.R wrote: »
    I don't think Ireland has a single vehicle type approval process, so I'm not sure whether any checks are made on the road worthiness of Japanese Imports - it's this that you would require if it exists.

I'd say you'll need to submit the car for Single Vehicle Approval in the UK as there is no CoC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

Going through the same process myself at the moment.

Checked comparethemarket the other day, Admiral was the cheapest at about £790 third party fire and theft. Must check a few more now.

Have you gotten the MOT yet? Looks like the maximum is £54 but that's without needing a retest or work done.

I'm filling out the V55/5 now so need to get that certificate of conformity too.

That form is for taxing the car isn't it? Does the same form handle changing the plates for you?

Do you definitely need to be insured before registering it? The form doesn't seem to mention anything about insurance but when asking for an insurance quote they do ask for a registration, I assume it'd be better to give a UK reg.

Are you going to change over your licence? I think it's about £50. I've heard it can bring down the insurance but when looking for a quote they ask how long you've had your current licence. I don't think it would look good to put in 2 days.

It's kind of confusing trying to figure out what order you need to do things in. My Irish insurance is up tomorrow anyway, so technically don't think I can drive it to get the MOT done anyway! :D

Advertisement